Spoiler An analysis of Misumi Makoto (Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu) [Spoiler is minimal]

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Rumanshi, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    Within the spoiler, was my original piece designed in order to provoke discussion. Following, there were many points raised. @Dhanaq provided quite a good analysis himself in the form of this post.
    I once read that people disliked the MC from Tsuki ga Michibiku, and I can see exactly why they disliked him. However, I would like to present my own opinions on his personality and his flaws. I believe that the author has done a very good job at representing just what sort of person Makoto is and his own thoughts.

There were a couple of points which people made which caught my eye:
    1. Their was a constant reminder about Makoto's looks (He's average, in a world where everyone is beautiful <-- Honestly, I don't exactly understand how everyone can be beautiful. Eye of beholder.)
    2. Why was Makoto so god damned indecisive.
    3. Why can't Makoto realise other peoples feelings?

Well, I'd like to present that Makoto is not, perhaps, as average as he seems. Sure, he holds average looks. But, he also has two sisters who are much more attractive than him. This is an important thing to remember. His sisters were extremely talented. Why would this affect Makoto?

An inferiority complex.

When surrounded by people better than oneself, he is likely to feel like he will never measure up. While this is only in one area, it affects them all.

He sure seems as though he has this complex, so is this important to note?

Well, combine it with a couple of other factors:

- Makoto is unable to read other peoples emotions very well.
    - Makoto lacks motivation or, should I say, ambition (besides squashing bugs).
    - Makoto simply goes with the flow.
    - Makoto is constantly judging himself extremely.
    - Makoto cannot judge what people see in him, many times.

These are all symptoms of depression.

It is with this that I conclude that Makoto began in this series, with severe depression. It is only through the events which transpired, that he is slowly developing. He still appears to hold some sort of depression, in my opinion, and I look forward as to how this progresses.

tl;dr : Makoto is one depressed piece of work.

Opinions? Denials? Please tell me what you think!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Shizukani, Solracmar, Yunchii and 4 others like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    T T.png why why! why another analysis! dejected.png
    @saffu you go first I need to go take bath to refresh my mind
    for now I think his teacher who teach him know about his low esteem but fro depression IDK he seem really have low esteem for his own ability
    plus you must add when they on guild his level identified as lvl 1despite his ridiculous strength when against dragon and Mio
    that dragon slayer also doubt his skill when they dueled and he block her attack using dagger
    that for now will add later after abreak

3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect that you spend your time to write all of this and you do quite an in depth analysis, something that is rarely seen. I do understand your points but this isn't really a spoiler, it's more of theory so to attract more people, change the prefix?

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it count as spoiler for those who never read and or plan to read it cuz it give give reveal some of his background like his sister

By.Eve likes this.
  5. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Just being cautious ^.^

People with depression, even with amazing skill, are unable to see there own strength, even if they've proved it. It's quite perplexing, but it's true.

6. Pray Alpha

Pray Alpha [Lonci & Salty's kouhai]- Leader of Abyss's Harem

Reading List:
    Link
    A very convincing analysis, and I would like to agreed to the fact...
    But every people have different perspective on how they see the MC

So~ whether they hate him or not I don't mind~ I just want to enjoy the story :D

7. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, they all have different perspectives! I was just offering a reasonable explanation (imo) for exactly why Makoto acts like he does! :)

Pray Alpha likes this.
  8. Pray Alpha

Pray Alpha [Lonci & Salty's kouhai]- Leader of Abyss's Harem

Reading List:
    Link
    But I do agreed that sometimes he can be a douchbag

NekoMK2 likes this.
  9. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    His inferiority complex stem from having beautiful and talented sisters . Due to this, high probability he was constantly compared to his sisters. Pattern is he is constantly being underestimated even before he is transported. Being underestimated also have an impact on self esteem. If this goes for a long time sooner or later, you will underestimate yourself.

Intro-Vert likes this.
  10. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I completely agree! But if you assume my theory is correct, then it makes sense! :p

Pray Alpha likes this.
  11. Upheaval

Upheaval Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    while i think that you are right, there is also something else on the plate. Makoto has an inferiority complex and sure, he is depressed. However, how much time did he spend in this new world? This is a legit question, because i really don't know. The problem is he has now the power of a god, he defeated strong monsters, he has buildt a community who worship him, he teaches students who idolize him etc. At the start of the novel, i wouldn't have minded it. But Makoto now should be different. He should have a motivation, even a simple one like, "i want to protect those who have faith in me" (besides squashiing the bug), he should feel happy because people around him think he is important and show that to him, he should understand that there are very little things in the world that could harm him, so his inferiority complex should be at least less predominant now.
    You also said that his sisters were beautiful and talented. Yes but he also was talented in archery! So good with a bow that his teacher asked him to show his ability less, because he was too strong.
    I don't have an inferiority complex neither in my life was once depressed, so i can't really tell how it feels. However i think it is passed enough time to make a person have a complete change.

For the tl;dr: i like the novel and i don't really mind his character. However, in a different world, where fear should be the first thing you feel, there should have been a change in his personality already. Too time it is passed for him to still being a wimp who trusts anybody.

NekoMK2 and asriu like this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget about the archery club, that place was a collection of the most beautiful people in the school.

13. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe I already stated that his sisters were a cause on his self esteem :p

He is different right now! Surely you've seen his evolution?! He's beginning to comprehend just how powerful he is. Depression is an interesting thing, because even in praise it's easy to think 'Oh, they are just saying that to make me feel better' and 'I'm sure other people are better'. He's definitely changed, but changing as quickly as you think without help is not quite that easy. Well, of course, this is only my theory and I could be completely wrong.

:)

14. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I added some things on it.

Talking about depression . It is bad although his case is mild compare to others. His inability to read emotion may be a defense mechanism. You get depressed in some cases if you know someone's feelings or emotions especially towards you. Even if it is all in your head. You would not be bothered by something you are not aware of. He get better though as his handling of Mio shows.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your input! Well, it's my belief that Makoto legitimately was unable to read emotion, rather than a coping mechanism. Though, I do believe that he's improving, just as you've said.

16. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a mistake on term , it is defense mechanism as defense mechanism is unconscious while coping is conscious.

If want to see full depression the manga Shi ni Itaru Yamai show.

Depressed people usually have defense mechanism.

17. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really need to see examples of depression...

But yeah, I see where you are coming from.

18. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you see the dream he have that people suspect to be an alternate reality you would see a similarity with those who have psychological problems.

19. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say depression... but inferiority complex works

20. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I say depression, only because the inferiority complex doesn't explain some of makotos actions and flaws.