Question Another Quick Question

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by DCVoidsWrath, Feb 18, 2017.

1. DCVoidsWrath

DCVoidsWrath The shitty translator who will conquer all

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm back...*sigh* again with another sentence I need help with.
    Here:

呼ぶ度に胸に灯る火が、熱が、心地良くて。
    A comfortable heat burned within her chest whenever she said it.

なのに、何故かぞくりと、背筋に寒気染みた震えまで伝った。
    Despite that, she had gotten a tingle in her spine like she did before.

でも、そっちも嫌じゃない。
    But she did not dislike it either.

「はぁっ……待ちきれないね、おかあさん」
    “Haaa…...I can’t wait any longer mother”

熱を伴う吐息と共に、虚空に向けて呟いて。
    She sighed a passionate sigh, along with some mummers in the empty space.

近く訪れるだろうその時・・・を思い浮かべ、馳せて、躍った。
    (Insert Translation)

If you need more context, I will gladly provide.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    呼ぶ度に胸に灯る火が、熱が、心地良くて。
    The fire—the fever—that kindled in her breast whenever she said it felt good.

なのに、何故かぞくりと、背筋に寒気染みた震えまで伝った。
    Though, for some reason, a chill-laced shudder also traveled her spine.
    ・Don’t know where you’re getting "like she did before" from this.

でも、そっちも嫌じゃない。
    But she did not dislike that either.

「はぁっ……待ちきれないね、おかあさん」
    熱を伴う吐息と共に、虚空に向けて呟いて。
    “Haaahh……I can’t wait, Mother," she muttered with a fervent sigh, facing the void.
    ・The 呟く here is the dialogue tag for what’s in quotes. Those appear as separate sentences in Japanese, but you should put them back together in English whenever possible.

近く訪れるだろうその時・・・を思い浮かべ、馳せて、躍った。
    Maybe at that time [So-and-So] would come near, she thought—and, keeping that in mind, she leaped.
    ・I left this fairly literal because I have no idea who/what she’s thinking about. Or if she means herself. Or if "come near" is the right translation for the context; it can also mean "visit."

思いを馳せる is a set phrase meaning to think about something carefully and deliberately, etc.
    思い浮かべる can also mean to remember something. It’s more spontaneous and less intentional than 思いを馳せる. So it’s like this thought comes to mind and then she focuses on it and leaps.

3. DCVoidsWrath

Reading List:
    Link
    Many thanks

4. DCVoidsWrath

Reading List:
    Link
    While I am here, I'll accept more shame of being here and ask for a little more help.
    By the way I am going to use context from two different stories, and I'm asking help for each individual story.

First story:

未だ痛みを残す身体に鞭を入れ、少女は大通りから裏路地に抜け出る。
    A girl leaves the alleyway onto the main road, carrying a stick as support to help ease the her pain.  
    否、この場合は裏路地に入り込むと言うべきだろうか。

「うぅ、ぅ……ッ」
    “Uuh…...uh”

東区画の裏路地は、まさしく少女の領域だった。
    No doubt that the Eastern Ward was definitely the domain of the girl.
     小柄な彼女は普通であれば到底道にならないような隙間も大抵出入り出来るし、箱だの廃材だのが雑然と置かれていても、邪魔になるどころか足場として使える。
    Even with her petite build, she could easily go through gaps and such that normal people couldn’t, and even if there were boxes and scraps of wood all about, they were far from interfering.

入り組んだ地形は隠れ場所も多く、出くわしたくない時に人目を避けるには恰好。
    The intricate features of the alleyway had many hiding places, although it may appear weird if one were to come across them.  
    逆に、細い道のひとつひとつがどこに繋がっているのかを熟知していれば、待ち伏せや追い込みも容易い。
    Conversely, if you were familiar with the street, and the streets connected, they could be used to ambush and run-on.

そうして少女は追跡の目を免れ続け、凶行を為し続けていた。
    And because of this, the girl was able to avoid pursuit, and kept along while committing acts violence.

Second Story:

そこはクルトア大陸のクルトア王国の首都からほど近い領地、広大な領地とクルトア王国でもかなりの地位である三大貴族『三公』の内の一つ、アルセス大公家の領地での出来事だ。領地を治める貴族アルセス家は、長いクルトアの歴史において、堕落した家系だった。

For the second one specifically, it says kurutoa twice. One refers to a continent, another refers to a kingdom. I wanted to make sure that the kingdom and the continent were not called the same thing, unless it was saying "It was a Kultoan Kingdom on the Kultoan continent"(or something similar.

I am truly sorry about relying on the forum for help all the time, but at the moment, it is completely out of my hands :( (R.I.P. me)

5. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what the help you wanted for the first but since you're more specific on the second - yes, the Continent and the Kingdom are both named Kurutoa.

6. DCVoidsWrath

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, and I underlined the sentences for what I needed the most help with

7. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The underlined:

否、この場合は裏路地に入り込むと言うべきだろうか。>>No, it might be best to say she entered the back alley, in this case (previous sentence implied she was escaping through it)
    小柄な彼女は普通であれば到底道にならないような隙間も大抵出入り出来るし、箱だの廃材だのが雑然と置かれていても、邪魔になるどころか足場として使える。Since she was so small, she was able to squeeze through passages that normally you wouldn't ever be able to pass through. Even the boxes, and junk that was scattered haphazardly throughout were no trouble to her; instead she used them to her advantage as a stepping stone. (This one is more a general and not literal translation)
    そうして少女は追跡の目を免れ続け、凶行を為し続けていた。Thus the girl continued to escape her pursuers and carried on with her acts of violence.

8. DCVoidsWrath

Reading List:
    Link
    Once again, thank you very much, this helps a lot

9. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    未だ痛みを残す身体に鞭を入れ、少女は大通りから裏路地に抜け出る。
    Pushing her still-hurting body hard, the girl fled from the main road into an alley.
    ・未だ痛みを残す all modifies 身体
    ・(自分に)鞭を入れる → to motivate (oneself); to push (oneself) to do something; literally means to apply a whip (to oneself). Don’t know where you got "stick" from.

否、この場合は裏路地に入り込むと言うべきだろうか。
    Rather, in this case, it would probably be better to say she made her way into the alleys.
    ・The author is trying to establish a contrast here between 抜け出る and 入り込む. The main point to get across is that the ally isn’t just some random place the girl mindlessly ran away into, but a place she went on purpose because she’s in control there.

「うぅ、ぅ……ッ」
    "Unngh…"

東区画の裏路地は、まさしく少女の領域だった。
    The alleys of the East Ward were, without a doubt, her domain.
    ・Don't forget "alleys" here.

小柄な彼女は普通であれば到底道にならないような隙間も大抵出入り出来るし、箱だの廃材だのが雑然と置かれていても、邪魔になるどころか足場として使える。
    The tiny girl could get through most of the gaps that were normally impassable, and even if crates or debris were left there in disarray, rather than getting in her way, she could scramble up them.
    ・普通であれば到底道にならないような all modifies 隙間.
    ・足場として使える → literally: can use (something) as a scaffolding
    ・Don’t be too faithful to pronouns, whether you’re avoiding them or preserving them. The way they work in Japanese is so different that you will just end up with bad English if you try. For example, in English, we don’t say "the tiny she," so it’s fine to say "the tiny girl" instead. It won't affect the meaning. Elsewhere you can change 少女 to "she" to avoid using "the girl" too many times.

入り組んだ地形は隠れ場所も多く、出くわしたくない時に人目を避けるには恰好。
    The hectic layout of the place offered many hiding places and worked well to let her avoid being seen when she didn’t want to run into anyone.
    ・恰好 in this case means "to be suitable (for)"
    ・地形 is the topic of both clauses, so the geography of this place has many hiding places and is suitable for avoiding people’s gazes

逆に、細い道のひとつひとつがどこに繋がっているのかを熟知していれば、待ち伏せや追い込みも容易い。
    Conversely, if one was intimately familiar with where each of the narrow streets connected to one another, it was easy to ambush or corner someone.

そうして少女は追跡の目を免れ続け、凶行を為し続けていた。
    And so she kept escaping the sight of pursuers and continued to carry out her brutal deeds.
    ・続ける attached to the ます-form stem of a verb means to continue/keep doing that verb. So here, she keeps escaping pursuers and continues carrying out some sort of violence.

10. DCVoidsWrath

Reading List:
    Link
    I always get depressed when I get your halp >.<, but thanks regardless