Feature Request Automatic compression for updates on main page?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by NZPIEFACE, Apr 11, 2017.

1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the title sounds weird as fuck, so let me explain, using Qidian International as an example.

QI seems hell bent on releasing 10 chapters at once at the very least, which is a damn annoyance for most people, mainly because they see a scene such as Example 1.
    upload_2017-4-11_20-58-48.png
    See, here, you have 14 releases from QI in a short amount of time, for 2 different novels.
    I was thinking, that if a certain group releases works for the same series within a short time frame (let's say, 5 minutes?), all the releases are compressed into a single slot.

Of course, this wouldn't change the releases on the series' page. It would only work on the main page, as a way to conserve space so other series can be seen at once.

Here is an example of what I mean.
    for forum.jpg

As you can see in my example, I compacted the releases of Gourmet of Another World and Soaring the Heavens into one slot each, saving a lot of space.
    The problem with this, is that you can only click on one chapter link, so I suggest that the link show there will link to the first chapter of all those releases.

Maybe, in order to separate confusion from groups that releases two chapters in the same RSS feed (as seen below by Wuxiaworld for A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality), add an asterisk as seen here? (If I knew it would be so easy to change the HTML code for this shit, I wouldn't have spent 10 minutes on example 2)
    upload_2017-4-11_21-41-44.png

Please say if you think this could be improved in anyway?
    The only major flaw I can see is when some groups release things such as Confused Translations for Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e, where the novel is released as "v1c8 part4" and so on, because if this is condensed as I suggested, you'd get some weird shit like this:
    upload_2017-4-11_21-47-24.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a bad idea. Only, I'd rather have it look like this:

[Gourmet of Another World] [c1, c2, ..., c9, c10] [Qidian International]

The releases would still be separated, only moved to the same line. The ellipsis would show up if there's more than 5 releases (or sth). Possibly clicking on it would show the "hidden" releases.

Unfortunately, both ways are probably gonna require quite a bit of changes to NU. Yours possibly more since it'd require separating the main page's release feed from novel page's release list (if I'm not mistaken). Which is why I doubt this is gonna happen in the relatively near future...

runsing likes this.
  3. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    But the thing is... there's actually not enough space to show all the releases like that? You can try typing it into the HTML, it turns out weird, like it did in Example 4

4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That won't work because of the reading list feature. How are you going to check specific chapters? I was thinking of just showing at most two latest chapters of the same series on the main page

Aiiee and AliceShiki like this.
  5. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    You remove it the button?
    Or well, make it so it checks the first chapter only?

Well.... you thing would possibly make it confusing for people who stay up to date for it and then there's a mass release...

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's a good solution! (y)(y)(y)

Aiiee likes this.
  7. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The width of the Release column could be adjusted - there's plenty of empty space in both Name and Group columns.
    2. I don't mind additional lines actually. The only problem in example 4 is that "part" split off from the chapter number.
    3. I find the "part" thing annoying. Why not replace it with a dot instead? It'd be [v01c08.4, v01c08.5,v01c08.6, v01c08.7, v01c08.8] instead.
    Nah, hiding releaes like that could be confusing. People could think that some releases were missed by the bots.

How about if there are two or more releases for a series in a single day, the entry on the main page would look like this:

[ Name of the novel] [ Number of releases ] [ Group ]

Meaning:
    [ Soaring the Heavens ] [ 5 Releases ] [ Qidian International ]

The "number of releases" would be clickable to a popup similar to the "4 next chapters" book icon on the reading list.

Naturally, if there was another release added in the same day, the entry would be bumped to the top of the feed and the number of releases would be refreshed.
    It should work the same within the favorites' area too.

@Tony what do you think about that?

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Or... They could check their reading list in the case they didn't find the older releases... I think it's more plausible.

9. platys51

platys51 Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Or they could just release all 10 chapters in one post like normal people do.
    They are just douches.

runsing likes this.
  10. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably can't?
    I mean... unlike other sites, which have a post that links to the chapter, Qidian just posts the chapter...

You know, how in your reading list, there's a book that appears for a series if you havent read a bunch of chapters? And if you click on it, a small list appears...

Wouldn't that work?

11. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easier to sort out the current view it is, I prefer it the way it is.

Also there is the logistics of the RSS feeds and what to display, I feel like the current structure is the best way to aggregate updates.

12. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading list isn't very helpful if there's more than 3 releases to read. The book icon shows 4 chapters, last one read + 3 next releases. I think they'd be better off going to the novel page instead.
    Still, what would be the point of a release feed that hides releases from us?
    Besides, are you assuming that people don't open new series after seeing them on the main page? I mean, you can't go to reading list for something you haven't added yet.
    [Edit]Also, having to open novel's page each time + scrolling down to releases to open stuff that was previously easily reachable, is gonna be a pain...[/EDIT]
    Yea, that's exactly what I wrote in my previous post.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Then there is no problem, the person opens the novel page and sees that the chapters are there... Seems to work for me.

14. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Read my edit.
    While, it might not be a lot of scrolling on a pc (though it depends on the length of series' description + the number of recommendations), it's quite bothersome on a mobile.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree, it's quite easy to scroll through a single page on the novel page, even on mobile...

Btw, the color code you used for the edit is quite hard to see on light theme, try using a bit of a darker tone, when choosing color codes, you have to remember it can't be too dark due to dark theme users, nor too light due to light theme users, so most of the colors available are actually unusable...

16. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Having to scroll down nearly 6 screens to see releases is a bit much, IMO (4.5 screens without ads).
    2. What about wanting to open releases for multiple series? There's no problem with that on the main page, but having to go in and out of a novel's page to open the same releases is way more work.
    Too bad... I have no trouble seeing it on light theme.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Like this?
    upload_2017-4-14_3-34-9.png

18. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, funny.

Nope, what I meant is something more along the lines of:
    NU-rls-feed-grouping.jpg

19. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    while you guys are 'voting' for 'compilation', some other ppl are 'voting' for 'separation". with their own set of reasoning, of course >.<

20. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Separation from QI in general?

*Sigh*