Discussion Best offline turn based rpg

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by SinCity, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Arcanum

fidelc123 likes this.
  2. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All good games, but I still say the original Dungeon Keeper was the best, just in the amount of game play you got out of it, just saw it on Origain for like 4 bucks ... think I paid like 28 when it first came out ...

3. CpSLimE

CpSLimE Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (red/blue(GBA), time/darkness/sky(DS)) -roguelike, turn based… requires emulator… 100hr+ play time(?)… recruit, RNG, optional* grinding, quest system…

4. Adastria Lillith

Adastria Lillith [Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus]

Reading List:
    Link
    Digimon 3 on psx, my favorite.

5. rapture_edge

rapture_edge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you mentioned final fantasy 1-7, i'm assuming you are refering to a JRPG style. Not a turned-based tactics RPG.
    I recommend Breath of Fire 3 and 4. 3 is a classic game with a fun storyline. One of the best RPG's out there. 4 is just as fun IMO if it was just as long as 3. you can basically pass BOF4 after 25-30 hours.

Grandia also is fun. Grandia 2 was weird and 3 was a bit too cheesy.

A few already recomended Xenogears. Great game. I just hated what they did with Disk 2.

If you are in to Turn-Based tactics, Front Mission 3 for a cool immersive replayable 2 story mode game and Brigandine GE (look for the fully translated Grand Edition)

6. Helkeek

Helkeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Tale of Wuxia, its pretty fun

7. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Shadowrun is a noir story with a turn-based rpg gameplay. However, presenting the noir world is the main focus and the gameplay is secondary. If you're not a fan of that, it's not a game for you.

8. TheOne320

TheOne320 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pillars of eternity

9. wallshade88

wallshade88 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me bookmark this ahaha

10. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Check Kings Bounty. There is several games of it. This is the wiki page of a first one (not the very first because game old as hell but from that developer) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Bounty:_The_Legend

11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah this game is pretty neat, though I got bored playing it myself. You can also play it lan (2 player max, but I think there was a mod for 4 players) or hotseat (in short you play singleplayer with a friend and you just take turns using the laptop depending on which character's turn it is, lol...) which made it much better, because a pretty big part of the game is the story and party conversations. (Think like mass effect conversation wheel, but you can make decisions with more than one character, so it really makes it much better if you have a friend that plays another character. Basically like the bioware starwars MMO was supposed to be with the dynamic player conversation stuff.)

I'd like to say that it's a pretty good game, but honestly it sucks. To me it was more like masochistic rather than difficult, it just took me a while to realise that... (maybe the genre just isn't for me and the game itself isn't so bad, besides the obligatory bugs being ubisoft and all)

Grimrock is similar to the above, less RPG and more creepy and puzzles, but it wasn't really turn based, more like that type of "turn base"-esque like in Chrono Trigger and some of the Final Fantasy games, that thing where you like wait for a bar and then you can make your action but it's still real time. So there aren't any actual "turns".

XCOM 1 & 2 are pretty popular, right? That said I haven't played either of them myself.

I'm also a fan of the Heroes of might and magic series, but more like a nostalgia type of thing.

While I personally like (tactical) turn based combat, I really hate everything else that's turn based. You have to wait so incredibly long, and in heroes 5 when simultaneous turns and ghost mode were introduced it did help a bit, but simultaneous turns stops working as soon as there's any possibility of conflict between players (whenever they can get too close) and after that you have to wait for every person to do all their stuff one at the time for the rest of the game (usually hours) which is so incredibly lame and boring that it completely kills the game for me. (If only they could've made simultaneous turns work like in Civ 5...)

And to me it's also kind of boring to be stuck in a small map, there really isn't any exploration, especially not since you can only have a certain amount of move points per turn.

So that's why despite that there are quite a lot of faults with it, I've still had quite a bit of fun playing the "might and magic heroes online" game instead.

The base building and creature growth work more like in mobile/facebook games, a la clash of clans (timer based), but you can still walk around in a more open world and only have the actual tactical combat (in battlefield maps) be turn based (turn order is dependent on your hero and creature stats).

That said it's an online game so it breaks OP's first criteria of being offline, but what the heck, you don't need a constant connection as long as you don't play in party. So it might be worth a shot.

by me the other day :whistle:: http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/might-and-magic-heroes-online.8226/

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Westeller likes this.
  12. natalus

natalus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    best rts games = Brigandine (originally from ps 1. but it have pc version or emulator)

Ry Aru and Asf like this.
  13. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    now that you mention it... I miss brigandine. :cry:

14. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I play Legend of Heroes (all of them)... It's TBRPG... But what interest me is= HUGE WALL OF TEXT! *HELL YEAH!!!*

Good TBRPG in PSP (just use emu):
    Hexys Force
    Persona 3
    7th Dragon 2020 (use the English patch!)

or just play Hero 30 Seconds!

15. Benitora

Benitora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ummm my personal opinion is the really really old X-Com games The S-com complete pack is like 15$ and is a blast from the past those durn aliens!

16. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
  17. luffyzorosanji

luffyzorosanji Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Final fantasy series

18. Zehel

Zehel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disgaea!

Asf likes this.
  19. grumble_rumble

grumble_rumble Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod. For those uninitiated, it's a game where you lead a team of mercenaries to liberate a banana republic from the psychotic female dictator that deposed the benevolent king (her husband). The vanilla game is good and should likely be played first to get a good grip on how the game handles, and when that is accomplished install the 1.13 that introduces massive amounts of guns (there's four pages of AK variants alone) and advanced mechanics like having what you wear determine what slots in your inventory you have available, how much AP points are used when drawing your gun or a magazine, incredible amounts of ammunition variations and attachments for said guns etc. It's pretty much one of the most OPERATOR games out there, and since all of your mercenaries are distinctive personalities with their own quirks, likes and dislikes, it's a blast to play.

I'll lump Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum together since they were made by the same people and try to achieve the same thing. What these games set out to do, basically, is attempt to properly simulate a proper tabletop RPG experience. They do this by ensuring the player always has multiple ways to solve quests. Other than ensuring you have some decent combat stats and a good investment in the 'Speech' the player is free to style his character any way he wishes since all builds have some advantage to them.

Arcanum is based on the same design philosophy, only that instead of a post apocalyptic wasteland you are now put in a steampunk world where magic and technology (old and new world) are at each other's throats. And just a PSA, Arcanum is extremely buggy so hunting down the following fanmade addons (by Drog) is a must:
    1. Unoffical Arcanum Patch
    2. High quality town maps
    3. High resolution patch

Front Mission series. And by this I mean 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Avoid Evolved like the plague, it killed the franchise. This is a series of mecha turn based RPGs. You have your party of pilots and between each mission are free to customize your mech any way you want. The first game got a rerelease on the DS with many improvements and an additional campaign. Front Mission 2 got a fan translation, but be sure to download the patch from the translation team's page because the patch there comes with a text file containing certain parts of the game that couldn't be directly translated. 3 and 4 got an official release for the PS1 and PS2 respectively, and 5, arguably the best in the series (but also heavily reliant on knowledge of previous games to enjoy it in full) was translated fully by the same team.

I've got more suggestions if anyone wants to hear them.

20. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link