Discussion Best spirit/soul/mind companion!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ArgosYesu, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been seeing the theme of spirit companion repeated several times throughout stories and decided to rank some of them. What is a spirit companion? What I mean is the odd spirit who accompanies the hero and mentors him to become a powerful cultivator. For example, Linley has Doehring and Xiao Yan has Yao Lao.

Let the rankings begin!

1. Grandpa Doehring Cowart. How can anyone forget Grandpa Doehring? Teaching the above average Linley to become a cultivator, he set Linley on the path to greatness! In the end, he even sacrificed his life for Linley to survive, a feat unmatched by any other close character. DAMN THE MANHUA FOR CORRUPTING GRANDPA DOEHRING!
    2. Yao Lao. The interactions between Xiao Yan and the old OP alchemist are a breathe of fresh air, both in the Web Novel and in the Manhua. The selflessness of the old guy to help grow young Xiao Yan is easy to see and it is always fun to hear the old mentor tease his lady killer student.
    3. Pu Yao. The demonic oddity of World of Cultivation, he just adds that bloody streak to the already odd list of things happening to Zuo Mo. He's funny to read about, and a bit dangerous, but ultimately helps the MC. He also seems to understand the MC the most out of the other characters. Of course, this close knowledge is no help at all to poor Zombie Face.
    4. Zhuge Liang. OP old guy with a desire to pass on his legacy. Zhuge Liang is mysterious and continues to be so. Is he the strongest? A question everyone wants answered. How far will he help the MC? Pretty far IMO. My dear hope is to see him and the Pope challenge each other to see who can strengthen poor Cho Ryu Hyang.
    5. Ice Worm Spirit Beast, Daydream. Old and ancient, but weak as heck, Daydream is the cute and sleepy mental spirit ring of Huo Yuhao and his dream is to cultivate the young man into a god! What other kind of teacher is better than one that wants to make you a deity! Not even Doehring had dreams that far reaching, even though Linley did become a deity... Daydream is the most down to earth of the spirit companions and he acts more like a best friend with Yuhao than a mentor.
    6. 7 Ancestors. The 7 Ancesters in the LN 'Sevens' are a group of contrasting personalities and antics. You can't really forget about those old guys and always have feels when they talk about their past. At the same time, they are Lyle's closest allies and their help pushes Lyle to new heights. However, their eventual disappearance is something that will continue to cause me worry as I can't help but hate the idea of them going...
    Other honorable mentions are Situ Nan from Xian Ni, Eggy from Martial God Asura, Elder Sable from WDQK, and Jasmine from Against the Gods.

Why they weren't included?
    • Stuart Nanken was far too antagonistic to the MC. He was like a double edged sword in my opinion, plus the TL from Void was so messy that I didn't get much of an impact from his presence.
    • Eggy. I just disliked how her old and edgy character was gradually changed to a pure servant for Chu Feng. Basically, the character devolved into a mindless helper.
    • Elder Sable. Still too early to see how much he will affect Lin Dong's future.
    • Jasmine. Also too early for her since she isn't getting much visibility for now. Also, the relationship between the two is a bit... testy. I honestly see her as potentially a member of Yun Che's harem... sigh...
    What are your ranks? Yea, I may have missed some from other stories, but these are the only ones I remember off the top of my head.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    xiao wen li from Long Live summons.

3. vynnix

vynnix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as i'm concerned, old dude spirit is better than some stupid ice worm.

4. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno what you mean, but spirits don't have to all be human. 2 of the stories I said have an animal instead of an old dude. Also, there are young girls as spirits...

5. vynnix

vynnix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm talking about same story, i don't know how far it's translated tho. But it should be mentioned in first chapters, don't know if the old man awakened in translated chapters.

6. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, didn't read ahead. So you're all for random Old dude in Yuhao's head being the better mentor... Even though he basically doesn't do anything atm.

7. vynnix

vynnix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, can't really say much but it is mentioned that he is from another world and if you know Tang Jia San Shao.... All i can say that old dude is probably my fav support character in his works

8. kkile57

kkile57 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wait what novel is the ice worm spirit beast from?

9. vynnix

vynnix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Douluo Dalu 2 - OP Tang-Sect

10. kkile57

kkile57 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh ok I haven't read that yet, makes sense I would not know it. I haven't finished the first Douluo Dalu if I read this one also will it have a lot of spoilers for the first oen?

11. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also the Nine Nether Bird from TGR and Ye Yan from TDG. I personally don't really have a preference.

12. vynnix

vynnix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No serious spoilers besides the ending. It's almost as if it's entirely different stories based in the same world.

13. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see Ye Yan as much of a helping/mentoring companion. It's not even a secret that he's accompanying Nie Li.

14. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Situ Nan a lot because out of all those you mentioned that I recognized he is one who had the deepest impact on our MC's so far, I mean turning a goody two shoes into a psychotic empathetic psycho is definitely more moving than the rest who have changed the MC's little and end up serving as either mentors or guides. I mean wow did he screw our MC up one of my favorite parts of that novel is when they mention he is just spitting poison into the MC's mind.

BusyBee likes this.
  15. ephemeral

ephemeral sometimes i'm here

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped btth around 150 and the mc is nothing without Yao Lao. He pretty much held his hand the entire way.

Aicila likes this.
  16. Dr.Maniac

Dr.Maniac I am Death.

Reading List:
    Link
    What novel is lin dong from?

17. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wu Dong Qian Kun pretty awesome if standard xianxia, set up in the same universe as TGR.

JJ likes this.
  18. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that rat is awesome.

Hmm, I'd also rank Xian Ni too.

Raphael likes this.
  19. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    WDQK is OP as heck though. It isn't even a question.

Raphael likes this.
  20. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say whether they were useful or not, and you didn't say they had to be completely unknown to others. Eggy isn't exactly a secret either, especially as in MGA pretty much any World Spiritist can have spirits. Though it is true that he doesn't do much. Also, MC is someone who far surpassed him in cultivation, knowledge and age so there isn't much he could help with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.