Discussion Chinese Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nick21, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick21

Nick21 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going through the NovelUpdates Series Finder list and noticed that almost all of the Chinese Novels are related to martial arts and cultivation to immortality.

So what's with the Chinese Authors infatuation with immortality?
    Theirs hardly any variety, among the novels.A all of them start the same, and I expect they even end the same.Figth --->get stronger opponents.Get bullied.----->cultivate.Become stronger in few chapters----> fight.

And the funny thing is, all of them have a weak MC who gets a godly artifact or some super spirit and then rampages around the sect, dealing with bullies and their family.

As if a weak MC and a godly artifact is a necessity, and a MC can't get strong depending on himself.

And then the girls! Where the hell these authors find jade like skin and silk like hair beauties. Almost every single one of them, uses the same description to describe a girl. When I was starting to imagine them the only think that comes to me is an black and white comic panel. Jade like skin and black silk like hair...o_O

Did the Chinese Govt passed some law, that all beauties have to be jade like?

And why the heck these Antagonists can't act human? You came in front of me, I will kill you!! You are strong, so I want to kill you...bleh..
    Also nearly all of them hv 1500+ chapters on average.How many years are they going to take to be completely translated?

So basically a weak MC, a godly artifact , stupid bullies, and cultivation to immortality, sums up Xianxia.
    Because of same repetitive tropes I have just stopped reading Xianxias...
    The only one which managed to keep me engaged are TTNH, ISSTH and ATTE.

So what do you think?
    Any suggestions for novels similar to 'That' mentioned above?
    And any Chinese novel which has Sword and Sorcery, and not just stupid fighting?
    Similarly, any novel which deals with politics and strategies, similar to TTNH and Game of Thrones?

PS I know last three lines should be in Recommendation, but the first few para's are general ranting...So majority wins.

And this marks my first rant coming here.I need a party...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Vex, Ramon54xg, dryzzle and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Otherworldly evil monarch, skyfire avenue, the kings avatar, I'm really a superstar, and realms in the firmament.

3. Irt

Irt Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read Cultivation Chat Group. It's about cultivating in a modern world, and each chapter will kill you with laughter.

4. Vrinshael

Vrinshael 【Chaotic】【Fetishist】

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed.

5. FlameE

FlameE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm binge reading Great Demon King and its pretty damn good imo (the mc is a necromancer) i really hope there are more chinese novels like that in the future.

6. EnragedWeasel

EnragedWeasel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation novels are popular here so that's what gets picked. There are plenty non cultivation Chinese novels but they don't get translated.

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Release that witch
    The Amber Sword
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich

sorry I might have misunderstood the OP here too sleepy to read the long post

Westeller likes this.
  8. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    well what i can say because they are chinese !!!
    and yes xianxia story is mostly same plot like when you watch western super heroes so if you bored read other genre like Boku no pico.........!!!

9. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese authors have a fixation with cultivation however there are tons of other excellent novels.
    Also you can check history number 1 founder and history strongest senior brother that makes several references to that cliche as a joke.

10. Nick21

Nick21 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure
    Couldn't get past Kings Avatars first 100 chapters.No idea why, but I found it immensely boring.
    IRAS the whole things felt too convenient.He gets in a problem, and system provides him with an answer.So will think about continuing it...
    OEM, sure.
    Finally Sorcery!

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Disciple Died Yet Again, too! How come no one's mentioned it yet...

IRAS, at least up to the currently translated chapter, is very repetitive like that. The same basic theme of Zhang Ye being doubted, insulted and abused until he "scolds" everyone who speaks poorly of him and achieves amazing success on his latest project is repeated almost to the exclusion of anything else, over and over again.

That said, it's also hilarious. The humor carries it.

The chapter on airplane directions is still one of my favorite comedy moments from the novels around here in awhile.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  12. blqrt27

blqrt27 ❄⛄NTR is the BEST!⛄❄

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon blood warrior....

13. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you're going to generalise then add in reincarnation/time-rewind. Cause TTNH has that and ISSTH has godly artifact.
    And what kind of novels are you reading? Yes there are a lot of these general ones, but you can just ignore them, as you obviously have. And questioning the "jade-skin" and "arrogant bully" is ridiculous. It's appropriate to the world they're based in! And don't get me started on "weak MC", that's just freaking normal. What's the point of a xianxia novel if the mc is strong from the start? The whole basis of Xianxia's are for the MC's to get to the peak in strength through struggles and so on so the MC can't possibly start out as anything other than weak!
    -
    Honestly. The only thing separating ATTE WoC ISSTH and TTNH from the norm is the "depth in character and plot", their humour and the manner in which they're written.
    I'm by no means an advocate for the supposed "norm", I just don't like generalisation.

AMissingLinguist and AHKoT like this.
  14. Nick21

Nick21 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will check them out.

15. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of the reincarnated lord~ it's kind of fantasy with politics, but some may not fancy because it's slow piece, it may be too mature for some, but the mc is intelligent and those friends SoBs lol

asriu likes this.
  16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Except for that ISSTH and to some extent TTNH do definitely follow a lot of those cliches, just they are slightly better at making you ignore the cliches compared to other xianxias/xuanhuans.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    xalienxgamerx likes this.
  17. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Your Favourite Family Disappointment

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called a trope/genre for a reason

Also, felicitations on first rant thread, obligatory tag @Parth37955

18. dryzzle

dryzzle 『Little One』『Borderless bun』『Epi's poring』Yzra

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I agree with the imagination part of female characters where almost all of them are beyond beauty...and i can't imagine them anymore so what I do is like portraying them in my mind where they have the letters of their name on their faces... except for the core characters of course.... :p and the ugly ones...they are easier to imagine...

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess it should be mentioned that the most common chinese genre on here is likely romance rather than xianxia or xuanhuan.
    At least in terms of amount of novels instead of popularity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.