Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

2. Data

Data Assuming Direct Control

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. Any novel without finishing it is hard to put I guess the "correct tags".

I don't even know if harem is an official genre as there is nothing on the official qidian site / webnovels that suggests that genre. It could have been placed by a user who saw the multitude of females.

I believe affair fits quite well up to the translated content thus far as even though it is a harem, it wasn't even established that he wanted one, especially since he was pining for one female the entire time (from the very beginning of the book) and based on what happened in recent chapters

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warning: Super long reply to a long post.

I will only address the tags and the reason behind why it's in the Tag List. As for the definitions, unless a proposed definition is brought up, I won't reply to it.

Current Tag count: 814
    There was a need for female swordsman, thus the tag.

If we start listing all the --manship, we might just end up with more than 2k tags.

No, they entails two different meaning. You can’t use Magician to describe the ones in Release that Witch.

If in the future, a magic user occupation that does not fit the term came along, then there’s no reason why it won’t be considered. However, I refuse to have a tag be made just to satisfy the title. An example is if there is a title such as “blablaMagician” and a Magician tag be made when we already have a Wizard tag.

Propose a definition.
    They sound the same, but they are not. In a fantasy setting like an otome game, there is no Spiritual Power. There is Magic. In a cultivation story, there is no magic. There is spiritual power.

Propose a definition.
    Futuristic ambience would have suggest there is a set future and the story borrows elements of that set. There is no set future. Thus no futuristic ambience.

European ambience, is when the story borrow elements of the european setting such as housing, dressing, naming, social setting etc.

I don’t see the point of adjusting this bits. It’s either China or not China. It’s either ancient or modern. If there’s other Ancient-- that are prominent, and can be reused for future novels, I might consider its addition.

Propose a definition if you feel it doesn't suit the tag.

Definition doesn’t fit tag’s use. Need new definition.
    By default, they should be plural. However, some need to be left as singular.

Cousin are sometime prominent characters in the story while at fhe same time family tag does not fit the story. Example is when cousin is a prominent member of the harem.

Definitions are open to member edits. There’s no point of making a standard that can just be screwed over by newbie who feel they knew everything. That’s why I’m asking for definition proposals. If they fit, they’ll be added after the definition is locked from public edits.

There are currently 814 tags on NU which means 814 definition. If someone ask for a definition change, I want a proposal and edits by the proposer instead of just leaving us to deal with it. If they aren’t interested in pursuing it, I won’t be interested in editing it.
    Different meaning, different context, different usage.

Roughly it’s like this::

Chatismatic: someone you can respect

Charming: someone likeable

Propose a new definition.

Tragedy genre does not necessarily mean death. Someone die, does not warrant a tragedy tag.

An MC train hard, gain recognition, build a family, retire, die in peace. End. That’s not a Tragedy.

An MC train hard, gain harem members, got NTRed, got backstabbed, got mutilated, left to live as a disable. End. That’s a Tragedy.

The Tragedy genre is sometime abused by trigger happy people.

Yes, they are similar by nature as they involve building a foundation into a functioning organization. But at its core, they are different.

Clan: Family, relatives and close friends.

Kingdom: Country

Sect: Elders, teachers, students, disciples.

OBA-KICK!!!

ヾ(▼皿▼メ)┌θ☆(ノ □ )ノ ゚ ゚
    Okay. Ask @Tony .

We read stories for its protagonist development. It only makes sense that tags describing them would be many.

There are novels with 70+ tags in it and you want that cluttering the Search result? No, thanks.
    Send this to Suggestion & Bugs subforum. It doesn’t fall under tags or its definitions.

BlancFrost, AliceShiki and Blitz like this.
  4. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm assuming that this is the place to say there are undefined tags. (If it's not IM SORRY :( ) So, I just noticed that the following tags don't have definitions: Possession, Near-Death Experience, Righteous Protagonist. (there are a bunch more, but I don't know them off the top of my head)

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitions is a community project. The users of NU were expected to come up with definitions. They disappointed me.

BlancFrost, AliceShiki and LaDyViL like this.
  6. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags with no definition are open for member edits. After first edit, the timer for lockdown will start. After lock, only staffs can edit them. The proposals are usually done for tags that are locked.

But Oba-sama was busy cleaning the drama on NUF....sob3 mango is disappointed in me...(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Shio likes this.
  7. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont be disappointed mango or you'll turn sour.

BlancFrost, AliceShiki and LaDyViL like this.
  8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You better get ready to be shocked, but I never get disappointed! I just never hope~~

Don't worry. I never even had any hopes on a senile old woman who gets a nosebleed looking at rugby~~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
    runsing and AliceShiki like this.
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    (。ŏ_ŏ) but they're very good skinshipping rugby...

The thing is, tags are not something we can prevent people from assing or removing. All we can do for now is to monitor the edit logs. If we see someone trolling, try to contact them. However, some of them are not easily approached on NUF as they are not active, and thus the temprary ban.

About Harem......psstt @runsing . Someone is questioning the Harem genre desu. I'm not touching that can full of crazy worms :blobpeek:

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem is a genre in a lot of anime and hentai sites. All of that, in fact. Case closed

11. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still dont know how to quote...

"If we start listing all the --manship, we might just end up with more than 2k tags."
    thats the point that i am trying to convey, if we dont want to have that many "manship" tags, just delete swordmanship tag. if we think about it, someone who use sword, will use/know swordmanship, no matter how poor they are trained in that. i am pretty sure that someone who saw sword tag will think about swordmanship too.

"Strong To Stronger
    this tag is a bit weird... need to be reworded
    Propose a definition."
    If i am not wrong, there are "strong from the start" tag. logically, if the MC is strong from the start, he will grow stronger and stronger (except if the mc somehow lose all of his power, then it will be another tag or something?)

"They sound the same, but they are not. In a fantasy setting like an otome game, there is no Spiritual Power. There is Magic. In a cultivation story, there is no magic. There is spiritual power.
    Propose a definition."
    well, maybe "a type of energy that can be used to do superhuman feats" or something... oh well.

"Futuristic ambience would have suggest there is a set future and the story borrows elements of that set. There is no set future. Thus no futuristic ambience.

European ambience, is when the story borrow elements of the european setting such as housing, dressing, naming, social setting etc.

I don’t see the point of adjusting this bits. It’s either China or not China. It’s either ancient or modern. If there’s other Ancient-- that are prominent, and can be reused for future novels, I might consider its addition.
    Propose a definition if you feel it doesn't suit the tag."

well, the thing is, these "setting" tag should be written in a format that clearly shows what kind of setting it is(place, culture, timeline, housing, food, etc). For example in European Ambience, if there is a novel that has modern european setting and ancient european setting, they cannot use this tag. it is too ambiguous. it will create Ancient Europe tag and Modern Europe tag... and that is if we only talk about the place, what about the culture? a novel can use european based culture (thus european setting) but not in europe, maybe in another world.

"There are novels with 70+ tags in it and you want that cluttering the Search result? No, thanks."
    what i meant is: when i search "sword" for example, there novel listed there has "genre" tag in it, then i see "action" genre there, i assume that i can click it to search that genre. but i can only click it after i click the novel.
    but this is not related to tag cleaning, so i will just forget about it.

So... i just spent 30 minutes or so to create an excel file listing the tag from page 1-2 just for fun. maybe it will help someone who intrested in cleaning these tag.
    here is the link if you are intrested.
    mega nz/#!8u4XnRpI!L43MU1a11dy9vP-I23ag7RaiPXFpEUOqwkwJBdDQktk
    feel free to modify it as you seem fit

CockyBrat likes this.
  12. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a "+Quote" near the bottom of each post. Click on it and it changes to "-Quote".

From there, when you go to the text field to make a post, you will see a box appear saying "insert Quote" Click on it and you will be given a choice of what quotes to put in and clicking it again will make the quote appear in the text field

Thanks, we might use this when we decide to group the tags together (Though that is up to tony if he wants to implement it)

I do have a few words myself but it seems that the others have this case handled so I will just oversee things for now.

13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I support European ambience tag. Why? It sounds good...like more Western.
    All of the strong tags are a bit different from each other...Just wait till one of the mods or volunteers get to tag defs.
    The swordsmanship tag mainly differentiates stuff like atg from ztj and CSG. Swinging a sword powerfully and swinging with a technique is different.

runsing and Blitz like this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, the MC that is strong from the start might end up not growing at all, since they are already at their peak.

Depends on how the author wants things to go.

runsing likes this.
  15. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag Definition

Toys

This tag is used when a main character uses sex toys, devices, or other objects of a sexual nature. It most often refers to mature content, and rarely refers to children's toys.

Can we change this to:

Toys
    This tag is used when a main character uses sex toys, devices, or other objects of a sexual nature. It most often refers to mature content, and should never refer to toys that are not used in a sexual sense.

AliceShiki, Blitz, MangoGuy and 2 others like this.
  16. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:
    I just wanted to try out the new blob.

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    But...where is the sense of mystery?? Where a toy can refer to a doll or a dildo!!

18. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    Weren't you the person who added most of the series there.:cookie:

neoshadow and runsing like this.
  19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You never know when someone will help you~~

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Please change it Dyvil-chan, it should be clear on that.

I don't want people to think it's okay to use this tag for novels that are about children's toys.