Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that it should be for a major portion of the series instead of permanent,as it will be VERY misused otherwise.

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Martial Spirits This tag is used only to describe a Spirit manifestation that is made of worldly energy and spiritual energy to take shape in the physical world and is generated by a practitioner when cultivating on the martial path. Martial Spirits give a number of boosts and or special abilities to their cultivators, Martial spirits also come in a verity of forms, they are divided into 4 base categories: creature (animals, plants, organisms), objects (weapons, tools, toys, etc), place (environment, terrain, or structure), and concept/idea (folk creatures, religious items).

Martial spirits are separated by grades which affect the quality and speed of their cultivator."

Too long. This better goes in the novels involved Glossary section rather than Tag Definition. There is also no relation to NU and why this tag should be used. If a random reader sees this definition, they won't be able to make head or tails of what this is about without foreknowledge of the term used.

I might just edit this later after some time. In fact, the term used is too restrictive. Open for name changes. Thoughts?

Omegaverse This tag is to be used if the story takes place in the alternate universe where the characters have another gender (alphas/betas/omegas) aside from male/female. The omegas may get pregnant whether they are male or female.

@remy911 @Shio ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) yummy enough?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Shio likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh and @runsing wanted an alternate name for martial spirits

4. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Got it. Edited. Open for name changes too now. What was the proposed ones?

Battle spirit? Martial Spirit Avatar?

5. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    What glossary section? In what way is it restrictive? Martial Spirit has been defined as souls in the tag section before and that was to broad and unrelated to what this type of story is. I can understand wanting to shorten the definition but changing the name is to far.

Every novel that fits the category uses the term Martial Spirit and my definition was to explain to new readers what a martial spirit is. So again how is it restrictive? How was it unrelated to NU? It's a whole genre of novel... Why shouldn't it be used?

Doluo Dalu is a prime example. Would a first time reader know what a Martial Spirit is upon reading it the first time? But if they love it or hate it and want to find or avoid it like I do yoi and BL tags (using that special feature to block them from my feed) wouldn't they need a tag for it?

Attached Files:

6. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    All genre has explanations for a long while. Just press each genre tag alone and you can see them.

7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing @MangoGuy @Lord Blitz
    The response.

Read the guide at the first page again. Focus at the part Simple.

1. People will see this when they hover on the tag. Don't go overboard with its length.
    2. Tag Definition is for NU in the context of how the tag is to be used. The explanation above, that should have gone to the TL site, under something like a Glossary section.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Trent likes this.
  8. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with shortening the length as I over explain things, but Martial Spirit is a term and should not limited to the glossary of sites that may or may not assume the reader knows what martial spirits are in the case of the latter they may not even create a glossary

9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Propose the shortened term here, for editing.

What is the RAW version of the term, that makes it so unchangeable. In particular, the use of the term Spirit in this tag. Is it a manifestation, intent, will, paranormal being, creature?

10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know the RAW term all I want is for it not to be put in with soul and spirit like in the past as that can refer to multiple different things. In some novels like True martial world it can be an manifestation of will an intent, in Douluo Dalu it's inherent, there are to many variations but they all have 5 things in common 4 of which are the forms they come in and that they are linked to the cultivation progress and potential of the cultivator

Well do as you like

11. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    If anything please do write a definition you think would fit best. Or you can always ask someone to help define it for you.

We just want that definition shorten because the second half of the the first paragraph is really unneeded. I am not qualified since i don't have enough knowledge to do so.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how detailed your def is. Kudos. However, I also see that you mention something about there being types of martial spirits. I feel that is unnecessary.
    If you practice a technique to perfection, then you will get a spiritual manifestation of the technique. Something like hjc. This manifestation doesn't find a mention in your def, because as far as I can see your def is something that goes straight to the glossary of dd. It is that specific.
    Other than that, there is no real issue. I think your def will be accepted if you maybe generalize it a bit.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys can say what ever you want, I'm shipping these two.

Aiiee, Trent, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.
  14. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    well I understand it should be shortened and I'd do just that if I could ... if it wasn't locked

15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Please write your definition in this thread and tag marine1corps or preferably that granny mod. If they see it to be proper, then they will edit the def. The locked defs can only be edited by mods, and this thread is highway to get your ideas regarding defs to the mods.

Aiiee, BlancFrost, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  16. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    OBA-SAMA!!! NOT OBAA-SAMA YOU OVER RIPE STINKY FRUIT!!!
    ヾ(▼皿▼メ)┌θ☆(ノ □ )ノ ゚ ゚

I'll only have you as my lovely grandchild, @brasca123 -tan...

coughI asked already....and am still waiting.

Aiiee and AliceShiki like this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs Obaa-sama tightly*

Aiiee and LaDyViL like this.
  18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Was the Sex Toys tag removed? The link in the taglist(raw) doesn't seem to be right..
    EDIT: The defs for handjob and fellatio are straight outta google. paizuri is acceptable. first-time intercourse is really..bad. but it is still acceptable. they are all locked.

19. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    not sure. for some reason the url automatically changes/forward to http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/toys/ instead. i'll notify tony about this.

as for the other's definition, suggest away.

20. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    @MangoGuy remember that rule edit about exceptions on some profanities? Probably the site censoring got activated.

Let's use Adult Toys when it returns.