Cleaning up tags on NU

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by sal880612m, Feb 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While it is similar, it contain different meaning. Strong from the start doesn't mean the protagonist is overpowered, and vice versa.
    The purpose of a tag is not only to allow reader knowing the content of a story, but also for searching purpose. (Heck, I only use the tag for the second purpose). I would be really pissed if I can't find a novel with certain tag if because someone think it has been represented by other tag and remove it. Not everyone correlate those two tags together

keklel and Rarylith like this.
  2. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I do see your point and
    There is a reason why I kinda want these 2 tags to be separate. When you see the "Overpowered" I would assume the story is about someone who is already at their peak of strength and won't get any stronger because there is no point to get stronger. When I see the the "Strong from the Start" tag then I would assume the character is strong but doesn't stop growing in strength. The reason I think like this is because of the heavy influence from Japanese web novel. I haven't read enough cultivating novels to warrant what is op in their standards.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Politics Involving Royalty
    Political Struggle

Politics
    Power Struggle

except for the 1st one which is more common (or should is say specific?) to novel with Female Protagonist + Nobility + Palace settings, aren't the other more or less the same?

btw, are two newly added tags which caught my interest.
    Dao Companion - although i know what they refer to, do we really need them? if we do, should it be plural, or singular?
    Martial Spirits - can we choose other keyword? for example, innate spirit, or twin spirit or something? the word -martial-, when combine with -spirit-, sound like it refers to and undying, tenacious will

@Shio @Parth37955 @holyshin @Arcturus @asriu @DarknessWolf @marine1corps @Nom de Plume @Westeller

===========
    i saw the mass purge happens again today, although perhaps not by the same person

4. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @makochi is now banned from NU. <===yeah, that can happen.

keklel likes this.
  5. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    If we are talking about politics then what about Clan Politics?

I think Politics and Political Struggle should be same right?

As for Power Struggle, should we make it refer to when nations are fighting one another? I feel that some novels really do need that type of tag.

As for the other tags, I don't know enough of those types of novels to make a clear judgment of it.

asriu likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm.png IMO
    Politic I guess more on kingdom building or something like hachinan (ugeh that novel) also perhaps show a bit on hmm CN romance with ancient style (ugeh that title niubi ect) it's not all about throne but more toward gain better position on court, intern and or foreign country affair
    political struggle and politic involve royalty I guess part of politic

power struggle indeed usually on country rivalry level~ kinda like warring state period, it also can apply to faction on sect, clan, organization and or throne succession~ it's more to hmm dispute to decide the ultimate winner for land or head/throne position ~

7. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have been watching the tag feed and a new tag came up:

Arian Rose

After bit of research, it seems to be new type of classification for novels. This is mostly directed at what it seems to be shoujo style novels set in a medieval fantasy. I could be wrong but the images I keep seeing seems to fall under that direction.

Should we make this go under genres? @Tony

8. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, The Chaotic, Summoner, Lone Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Rich beautiful girl~?

9. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shio @remy911

i've seen Flower Thief being added and removed several times. is it some kind of yaoi term or something? i thought yaoi term mostly in japanese?

on other note, below is newly added (and currently only has 1 title to each) tags that was added since a month ago. some of thems feels legit, while others... well... i'm not quite sure whether to let it be, or purge them. at one time i saw the list swelled to 1488 (early december 1362). now it was 1374, with 40+ tags were new

Accelerated Growth
    Ahegao
    Amazon Women
    Author-editor Relationship
    Bdsm
    Brothel
    Clumsy Female Lead
    Conquest
    Decision Making
    Divine Beasts
    Everyday Life
    Fantasy Creatures
    Fat Female Lead
    Feng Shui
    Foreign Affairs
    Harsh Environment
    Hidden Identity
    Mental Age Regression
    Mind Reading
    Orcs
    Paranoia
    Poor To Rich
    Prideful Female Lead
    Prisoner
    Producers
    Protagonist Is A Mob Character
    Reality Show
    Ruler Male Lead
    Scavenger
    Shamans
    Superpowers
    Voice Fetish
    Warlocks

Kichiku Seme
    Oresama Uke

Multiple Bloodlines
    Phoenix Bloodline
    God Bloodline

Axe Wielder
    Halberd Wielder
    Hammer User
    Shield Wielder
    Staff Wielder

Myths what's the difference with existing Mythology tag ?

Past Memories for some reason, Memories From Another World and Memories From Past Life is missing, only Previous Life Talent is left. and it doesn't seem was merged too >.<

==========================================
    these were not new, just wondering if it should be somehow merged.

Demonic Cultivation
    Devil Path Practitioner
    i'm pretty sure these two means cultivation that are not on the 'white' path

Master-Disciple Relationship
    Student-teacher Relationship
    i believe the former should be integrated into the latter. using 'master' is a bit confusing, since we also use 'master' for Master-Servant Relationship

Androgynous Female Lead
    Androgynous Male Lead
    seing as androgynous more or less means 'hard to make sure of gender at first glance', why not merge them into Androgynous Protagonist? afterall, we already has Feminine Male Lead and Masculine Female Lead

Younger Brother
    Younger Sister
    should this two be merged to Siblings ?

@Parth37955 @holyshin @Arcturus @asriu @DarknessWolf @marine1corps @Nom de Plume @Westeller

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  10. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definately not a yaoi term. It's a Chinese euphemism for rapist.

(I'll respond to your other questions later.)

11. optoron

optoron Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.. isnt it better to create a 'tag approval thread' rather than letting everyone add suspicious looking tag names whenever they like?

At least that way you save yourself alot of manpower/girlpower sorting out that list...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  12. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    isn't that what this thread already doing?

congrats on your 1st post btw.

p.s : is this a backup/clone account?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  13. optoron

optoron Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TY.
    No.. this is my one and only account.. I'm simply a major league lurker in alot of forums.

As you know anyone can add/create tags to any of the novel pages.. so rather than letting them do it, only mods can create new tags.. that way there wouldn't be so many weird and similar tags lying about..

14. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a talk with tony about that. He said it would create to much work for the mods. What he plans is something similar to the book recommendations we have here on Novel updates. I don't know when he plans to implement this but yeah there is still a need for a way to approve new types of tags.

runsing likes this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    every day life ~ isn't it just slice of life? destroy it muahahaha!
    for weapon user/ wielder just leave them be~ since it useful when someone ask for specific weapon like gun or spear perhaps one day there will be something weird like piko hammer user
    demonic cultivation and devil path not really sure since it's up to author(translator perhaps) word building choice

16. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remove (sorry, wrote this in reverse alphabetical):
    • warlocks - there doesn't seem to be an agreement as what this term even means in English
    • superpowers - replace with "special abilities"
    • shamans - Is there already a "spirit medium" or "medium" tag?
    • scavenger - not really descriptive, i can't see how this is helpful as a tag
    • ruler male lead - perhaps too specific?
    • protagonist is a mob character - Way too specific. (Also, by virtue of being a protagonist, they are technically not a mob character, but I'm getting a bit meta.)
    • prisoner - pretty vague. Even then, if this is actually meaningful to the plot, a tag like "imprisonment" (or like it) would be more appropriate.
    • everyday life - redundant with slice of life genre
    • decision making - every novel has decision making -_-
    • conquest - too vague
    • ahegao - I'm not seeing how this could apply to novels, as this is a text-based medium
    Neutral (Not sure if I wanted them removed or not. Or maybe they need to be rephrased or merged with something):
    • Amazon women - Might be a better phrase
    • Brothel - I guess this matters for stories that are set for a good amount of time at brothels.
    • Divine beasts - Perhaps merge with something.
    • Fantasy creatures - Perhaps merge with something.
    • Harsh environment - This might fall under too vague/non-descriptive. There also might be tag that this could merge under maybe.
    • Foreign Affairs - This might fall under too vague/non-descriptive. Maybe rename to "Diplomacy" or "Diplomatic Affairs" if appropriate for that title? I don't know.
    • Hidden Identity - There's probably another tag that's more widely used
    • Prideful Female Lead - I feel like there might be an existing tag that means the same thing
    • Producers - I guess this would matter if the story was about someone being a producer. But if it's just a producer side character, I would remove it.
    Keep:
    • Accelerated growth, author-editor relationship, BDSM, Clumsy Female Lead, Fat Female Lead, Feng Shui, Mental Age Regression, Mind Reading, Orcs, Paranoia, Poor to Rich, Voice Fetish
    There's probably some kind of difference, but for the purposes of tagging, Myths should merge under Mythology. (I just merged it.)

Agreed, but I don't think it's confusing. More because 'Student-teacher relationship' is a super-set of Master-Disciple.

For fetish or reading preferences purposes, I would leave this one alone. It matters to some people.

No? Some people prefer only reading about one or the other. I'm not too sure about this one. Though I would probably add an "s" to the end of both tags for generalizability reasons.

I don't know about the devil cultivation stuff, so I'll leave that to someone more informed.

Arcturus, runsing and asriu like this.
  17. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like it should with Mosnters, or the other way around, because Fantasy Creatures seem to be a more accurate description imo
    Nothing even has that tag anymore

This is way too fucking specific.... It's like Sock Fetish or Hair Fetish or something.
    We don't even have Foot Fetish! (Novel with a foot fetish that I can think off the top of my head is Lazy Dungeon Master)

18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
  19. IMM

IMM 『X.O.X.O』

Reading List:
    Link
    That seems like a lot of work 0_0

20. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, need some people to go through the tragedy genre...tbh most xianxia/xuanhuans aren't tragedies. random family members dying isn't tragic.