Chinese Xi Ling Empire / Xyrin Empire (希灵帝国)

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by keklel, Jan 10, 2017.

?

What title do you prefer

1. Xi Ling Empire

40.0%
  2. SeaLing Empire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ceiling Empire

48.0%
  4. Healing Empire

4.0%
  5. Xyrin Empire

8.0%
  1. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EDIT (01/14/2017): This novel has been picked up and is currently being translated by Radiant Translations.
    EDIT (05/14/2017): This novel is now free to pick up for any translator interested.
    Name
    : Xi Ling Empire (希灵帝国)
    Raw Link: http://www.uukanshu.com/b/721/
    NU Link: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/xyrin-empire/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    0. The idea is damn cool (aliens, sci-fi, and magic!) and the characters are awesome (the MC is smart and funny). It's serious yet fun at the same time.
    1. It's complete at 1614 chapters.
    2. It's rated very highly on Chinese novel review sites.
    3. It's in the (hard?) sci-fi genre, which is a refreshing change.
    4. The chapters are bite-sized (can be translated in an hour or so) so regular releases are possible :D
    Official description:
    Not the struggle of empires, not the turmoils of an other world, and definitely not levelling up cultivation, in fact this is a very proper serious earnest hard science fiction save-the-world epic -- just pretend this is real.
    Okay, actually this is just a bunch of silly leaders and a fraudulent emperor's happy and shameless day-to-day saving of the world.
    A fake otaku barely scraping a living waiting for death suddenly transformed into the head of an empire, an uncle with the aura of a stay-at-home-dad raising up countless lolis, this is a hilarious story of what happened after a certain otaku obtained a meal-bumming army that descended from the sky, once again a solemn reminder: this is a very proper serious earnest science fiction...
    My own summary: One day an alien army inside a planet-sized military fortress powered by alien magic lands on Earth and forces the MC (your average 12th grade student and otaku) to be their emperor. Wacky hijinks ensue.
    Additional info:
    The existing translated chapters 1-44 (chapters 11, 16 and 23 are missing) were translated in 2013 (link here: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2640380848) and I haven't seen any new translated chapters since then. The existing translation could use some light editing but looks serviceable. Well if you pick it up it's up to you if you want to redo the chapters from the start or just do the ones not yet translated.

Also please note that Xi Ling (希灵) is a name and doesn't mean anything.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal

Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal 「ZA ROYAL ROASTER」「ZEE KOUHAI」

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    ... It looks way too unfamiliar to me to be an Empire.

Ruyi, maharaya and Shio like this.
  3. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Xi Ling Empire.... Nah.. SeaLing Empire.... sounds bad... CEILING EMPIRE!!! PICK THIS UP IT HAS TO BE LEGIT!!

Yeah coz thats your living room??!

4. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if the original translator knew it was going to cause this kind of reaction when he translated it as ceiling empire for the first 4 chapters back in 2013....

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All hail Ceiling Empire!

6. maharaya

maharaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i should donate to user 2569877027 as fast as possible then. moarrr

keklel likes this.
  7. ruze

ruze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    k.
    starts on chapter 1

8. patcan3609

patcan3609 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I believe so.

10. VoidTranslations

VoidTranslations Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hope someone picks up the Shilling Empire.

keklel likes this.
  11. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Aliens, sci-fi and magic? I'm dunno if I like the sound of that. Does it all balance out?

12. jkmessah

jkmessah WoC, GoR and TGS enthusiast!

Reading List:
    Link
  13. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, looks like it.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed for 2 reasons:

1. The new translation is worse than what we already have. E.g

The new translation for this line in the raw: "它们似乎并不是因严重破坏而被废弃,而更像是进入了一种休眠状态" is this:

"They don’t seem to be here to cause damage or extermination, just lying dormant, like a hibernating beast. I think that is a much better way to address them. "

Which gets the meaning completely wrong. The original translation:

"They don’t look like they are abandoned because they are broken, it looked more like they are hibernating."

Is much more accurate.

I would personally translate it as (and I'm pretty confident about my translation for this particular line):

"They didn't seem to have been abandoned due to being heavily damaged, but rather seemed to have entered some kind of state of hibernation".

2. The translator did not acknowledge the existence of the older translation either, which quite frankly pisses me off because I'm pretty sure I submitted the links to NU before that guy did, which means mods should be aware of the alternative translation. The series page for Xi Ling Empire that I added also had a lot more (accurate) info on the series, so idk why the mods decided to accept the other page that was added.

If a mod decided to not allow the better translations to be posted on the website, preferring to have this worse version and especially not giving credit to the older translator, then that is a big disrespect and very rude. I don't care because I can read the raws, but to people who can only read English this is a major disservice.

I'm still waiting for someone who's actually serious about translating this series.

Xyrin Empire sounds Japanese and makes even less sense than Xi Ling Empire. Idk why he chose that name, it makes zero sense, it doesn't even sound like how it's pronounced in Chinese. And the picture looks gay and I have no idea where he got it from, certainly not from the original QiDian website.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  14. ruze

ruze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, the TL here.
    So woops. You're right about your first point. Alas, translating at 3am is not a good idea. But yea, it's fixed now.
    Your second point makes no sense to me and it's a "you and the mods" kind of thing so I ain't gonna comment.
    For the "Xi Ling" vs "Xyrin" thing, I talked to various other translators and mainland readers of the raws and they all agreed that it should be transliterated. And because it's an alien empire, I wanted it to sound well, alien, so that's why it's Xyrin.
    The cover is from the official manhua.

15. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for responding. I appreciate that you are putting in the time and effort to translate this series (which I personally am unable to do) so first of all thank you for the effort.

Secondly I want to ask are you going to translate the entire novel (all 1614 chapters) or just do some and leave? Since if you are only going to translate a few chapters it'd be more helpful to most readers if you continued where the last translator left off.

Thirdly are you going to get someone to double-check your work or just do everything by yourself? Since in the interests of preventing more errors (the one I pointed out is really just the tip of the iceberg) that might be useful.

Also I don't really care about the name and picture, but thanks for explaining your decisions. In future may I suggest doing a poll to see what your readers prefer.

16. ruze

ruze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do plan on translating a good chunk of it, most likely not the whole novel cause it's so damn long, but a good chunk of it.
    I have no intention of using the old translations/continuing from the old translations cause I find them too hard to follow.
    Yea. I got TLC's to check future chapters and feel free to pm me with any errors you see. I'm really not used to this author's writing style so there may be some errors that I miss in the future too. So yea, just point it out if you see any and I'll go take a look.

keklel likes this.
  17. Cabman11

Cabman11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If no one's going to pick this up I can do some translating. Maybe up to chapter 40 or so

18. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapters 1-44 (3 missing) have already been translated though...

19. Cabman11

Cabman11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? Where? I can use to upload those instead and finish the missing 3

20. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's in the OP but I'll paste it here again: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/2640380848

I'll note that the grammar (especially the tenses) is pretty horrible. Some editing would probably make it reasonable.