LCD Demon’s Diary

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Yuki, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chpt 58 is the only place I can find atm on Human Cauldrons but its very vague. All that the Aunt and her boyfriend say to each other is that the Person "ego" perishes and enters a state of being neither living or dead to be used by a cultivator to train their emotions. From the sounds of the aunt its a fate worse than death

2. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's something interesting:

Are you reading My Disciple Died Yet Again? (Highly recommended if you aren't! It's great)
    In it, there's a concept known as a "furnace". The MC takes on a disciple who happens to have an special physique which (as an unfortunate side-effect) makes her a natural "furnace". What this means, according to the novel, is if she were to have sex with someone, that person would automatically start absorbing her spiritual energy / cultivation. This causes great concern because it makes her a target for rapists.
    • There's also a Demigod villainess who uses a heretical technique against men. As she has sex with her victims, she drains the Essence from their bodies -- killing them while boosting her cultivation. While the men aren't specifically called "furnaces" here, it's essentially the same thing.
    Anyway, when I looked at the raws, the term used for "furnace" was 炉鼎 (lú dǐng)
    = stove / furnace
    = a ding (an ancient type of tripod cauldron - sometimes was used as a vessel for ritual offerings/sacrifices)
    So the translator obviously had a tough choice on what to translate this concept as. A "furnace cauldron" just sounds weird/redundant... He probably decided that explaining what a "ding" was to his readers wasn't worthwhile... "Furnace" and "Cauldron" are both simple and work fine, so he happened to settle on "Furnace".

And guess what? I looked up the Demon's Diary raws, and it uses the exact same term for the "Human Cauldron": 炉鼎
    Opposite of the MDDYA translator, the DD translators settled on translating the concept as a "Cauldron".
    (The "Human" part must have been added by the GravityTales staff for clarity or something, because it's not in the raws -- I double-checked.)
    ---------------------------

So we have the same term in two chinese cultivation novels... chances are pretty good that they function at least somewhat similarly.

I'm particularly confident since I've done some reading about real-world Daoist cultivation, and disturbingly/interestingly... shows up in a very relevant context. Read this. (Note the mention of the female sexual partner being called a 鼎 / ding = "cauldron")
    I think this is the origin of the concept.
    A woman being used as a sexual partner in some weird Daoist cultivation ritual, and her being called a ding (a "cauldron"... but also a "vessel for ritual sacrifice", which fits the imagery of the poor furnaces in My Disciple Died Yet Again).

3. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    That was a long post. Sorry if it was tl;dr

I don't actually believe Demon's Diary is going to introduce anything sexual. I think its rendition of the 炉鼎 will be toned down / PG-13. Maybe Gao Chong will just end up stealing her Essence. (DD has been talking about Blood Essence recently + Gao Chong is practicing a cultivation method which seems to be blood-based ... so it might be plausible?)
    Although, as Odyssey said, chapter 58 did mention him supposedly training his emotions with the Human Cauldron - which just seems weird to me. I guess we'll see what happens.

4. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally the MC fights. But it was kinda quick and boring. Please let there be more action in the next round

5. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh the writer knows how to waste chapters and our time with pointless stuff. So annoying

6. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly think this 'pointless stuff' is super fun myself :( Not only do I love things that give an atmosphere and give a better views of how the various relative abilities stand, but I really really like the little hints we get about the characters.

7. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    To each his/her own. If you like it there's nothing wrong with that. I apologise if you took it the wrong way. This is my personal opinion on how the writer has done it. I feel he's just dragging it on and not making it interesting enough. I'm reading desolate era as well and it's at a similar situation with a competition going on. That I'm enjoying more because IET, I feel has done it right.

8. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there is a vastly different style between the two.

DE feels more like an Epic while DD is more like a 'life', and it's usually reflected on the PoV/thoughts about characters. In DE you get incredibly powerful people analyzing stuff/etc and giving context about the world, while in DD you are getting various very flawed PoV looking at other people and you get more information by seeing the way they look at people than what they say.

I like both, but I definitely think that DD's understated way is strong when it comes to giving relevance to secondary characters- while DE's way is strong when it comes to making characters feel strong.

9. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean something like this: ?

10. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    This chapter was better. I liked the fight. Now we wait for the next round

11. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly like the fact that.. the MC only have 3 major fights(VS Ugly Wife& Skinny Husband / VS fruit lovers / VS fodder bandit)

I prefer short fight and MORE story telling, like about 'what will happen next' rather than 'who will he fight next'.

With so many Wuxia and Xianxia i've read and currently reading, I got sooo desensitize with sooo much fighting and with 'Overpowered MC that fight everyone and making everyone angry', I like the fact that he is low key. I would definitely respect the author if the MC decided not to take the rank 1, and keep everything Lowkey and suddenly something BIG and SURPRISING happen that changes everything. Like BooooM PLOT TWIST!!! like 'I AM YOUR FATHER'(sry someone poster star wars).

I want the MC to go back and explore more in Ghost Hell Region(cause, The author hinted that there are MORE to explore) and Ten Thousand Bone Cave(cause we didn't get enough adventure there, its literally a short time skip).

I also curious about Jai Lan and MC love vibe... cause I think MC like herrrr~ LOL

To me, from what I notice; this is one of those less awesome fights, more story/adventure stuff. The author hinted us with so many mystery and puzzle to solve which I realllllly like. The vibe that the story gave is that 'Xianxia with a little bit of english style adventure story telling'.

H4WK likes this.
  12. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. BlinkToThePast

BlinkToThePast Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey all I'm trying to get into this novel but finding it reaaaaaaaally dull so far.

I'm on chapter 35 and I was wondering if this is par for the course for the rest of the novel. I mean drawn out cultivation descriptions are fucking boring.

14. z3helll

z3helll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets better later and the new arc that is just starting looks like it might be interesting.

BlinkToThePast likes this.
  15. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    cant say that I fault the Martial Uncle...I mean if the bugs can be worked out of the cultivation method the gains to the Sect would be enormous

16. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LoL... you haven't even started to the story...

If you like MC like 'Go here, create trouble and kill, go there, create trouble and kill' like ATG/MGA/WDQK or something like "You want to kill me? I'll kill you first' like Linley and Meng Hao. or "You're bad! I'll plot against you!' like Nie Li(TDG). Then this MC is not for you.

This MC knows how to avoid trouble, therefore this MC will rarely fight.

-----
    On the other notes:
    Not sure if some 'side characters' are 'side characters'. I randomly pick 1 chapter to Machine translate.
    Chapter 1000+
    Liu Ming is still at Barbarian Ghost Sect

Wowafay likes this.
  17. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    yep keeps his head down for the most part [maybe at least right now] but when he is forced to fight he uses just enough to get the job done

18. BlinkToThePast

BlinkToThePast Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what you're saying is that for the most part this is boring until the MC is forced to do something, then he shall do as minimal as possible before going back to being boring. >_>.

I'm being purposefully obtuse there but honestly, what you're saying is that if I go into this expecting much of from that action tag I'm going to be disappointed. I.e. this is a cultivation slice of life novel for now.

So not for me...

19. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    no more of he doesnt use all of his trump cards, if he can get the job done using 1 element then he'll use that and not draw his blade, ghost, or other element techniques. thing is too he doesn't have heaven defying abilities like other MCs. he has a 3 pulse spirit root [which is considered trash]. He has a time-dilation room that let he advance 1 year of training in 1 hour but he was only able to enter like 2 times so far. So his abilities are mostly his own hard work

20. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a 'slow accumulation' story, where the MC slowly acquire techniques and knoweldge that makes him stronger and stronger, instead of "constantly is the best in the room" story.

It also tends to respect other geniuses, in the sense that if they are called genius you can expect them to have had roughyl comparable stroke of fortune as the MC (except for the bubble).

BlinkToThePast likes this.