Spoiler Desolate Era human form

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Taniniver, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Taniniver

Taniniver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the commonality of the 'human' form across the primordial chaos ever an important thing?

Ok, to explain...
    Early on it bugged me that diremonsters and fiendgods all apparently ended up with the ability to take human form when they reached certain power levels. I put it down to 'lazy writing' 'humans are totes cool' and 'more waifu potential'.
    Then we found that Nuwa made humans in imitation of Pangu. That was great - it wasn't 'everything mysteriously becomes human', it's 'everything is influenced by the creator of their reality' and humans just skip a stage.
    However, we then meet people from the Seamless and Pangaea chaos worlds. And... they apparently have 'human' forms available. Or at least we see them described as a 'man' or a 'woman', with strange features not really mentioned so they aren't too far off from that body plan.
    Which would seem to mean that all the creators of chaos worlds are 'human' shaped, making it as fundamental a feature of the primordial chaos as 'lightning' or 'fire'. :p
    Is this ever significant? Or do we ever find cases where this is not true?

I'm almost certainly overthinking this, but I am curious.

Oh, and one of the Pangaea Elder God prisoners is described as looking like a 'wild dog'. This means that 'dog' is also a fundamental component of all reality. :p

2. Sythellri

Sythellri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude the author is I ET. You've got plot holes everywhere! I mean you can theorize why but it's honestly never explained in the novel. The author forgets tons of stuff like characters and plot lines and also the laws of physics

Sherrynity and Taniniver like this.
  3. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Fiendgods don't turn into humans after a certain point. They generally have the ability to change here appearance. As for why diremonsters transform, I assume it's so Ji Ning could eventually have sex with that sky serpent. IET, no matter how good of an author he is, has a lot of plot holes. Also, there's a true god that doesn't have a head and has his eyes and mouth on his body like some cartoon character. Son Wukong is a monkey. Not everyone looks like a human

Reasonable Guy and Sherrynity like this.
  4. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans have always been considered with the most potential, and thus the wish of most races to turn into human but cannot do it. So they try to satisfy themselves by atleast being able to take human form.
    Apparantly, the human imagination is limited. Hence most, if not all, authors end up visioning all forms in somewhat, or exactly, human form. You can always recommend new things to author, share with community or write a story by urself.

There is a huge problem with ur comment here. Male and Female are not limited to Human Species. I am pretty sure ur cat/dog are also male/female; do u consider them as human in that case?

Now i m worried, i m gonna start maintaining my distance from you ...

5. Taniniver

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure that true god is the best example of people not looking like humans. He did look like one until his head got cut off and he decided to add features to his body instead of regrowing it.

?
    I didn't say male/female, I said man/woman, which I do consider limited to humans. I certainly wouldn't call a cat a man/woman.

6. itdontevenmatteruknow

itdontevenmatteruknow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You r taking "man"& "woman" as human equivalent of male and female and considering them solely for human race. It might be true on earth where we have humans as only sentient species. In planes where other species exist - it cant be exclusive for human race.
    Ex - beast women or beast men.

Taniniver likes this.
  7. Taniniver

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, ok, I understand that way of putting it better.
    However, you'll note in my opening post I refer to 'human shaped' and 'body plan'. I don't mean that everything ends up absolutely identical to humans, but that they end up really similar to humans considering their supposedly extremely different origins.
    For example, you mention beast men/women. Are you imagining them as standing on two legs, with two arms, a head on top of their body which has two eyes and ears, a single nose and mouth, etc? That's close enough to human that I'm fine with them being called a man/woman.

And I sort of expect Ji Ning to do the same. If we had a case where he called someone a man/woman, and they turned out to have been completely inhuman through out their meeting? Say, in the shape of a dragon, a twelve-legged fox or a tentacle monster. Then fine, man/woman can apply to all sentient species, regardless of shape. Can you find me such an example?
    In the case of the Pangaea Elder God, he refers to it solely as a "wild dog". Multiple times. Never a man.
    The next two people he meets there are described as "filthy looking old man" and a "woman". The woman changed to be called a peerless beauty. I think it somewhat unlikely that Ji Ning would consider a fish or a fungus a peerless beauty, so I assume they look similar to humans.
    No features being different from humans are mentioned.

Now, Youngflame Freak for example, is a "horned golden robed man" so I take him to be very human-like, but with a horn extra.

My point is that while physical descriptions are often very lacking, what is described of many of these aliens from entirely different chaos worlds which operate under different laws of reality.... is exactly what I would expect from any human Ji Ning meets walking down the street of the Ji clan's city. Pangaea's True God Shiyu is 'a silver haired man' with two arms (we know from their fight). Daomother Devilhand of the Seamless Chaosworld is an "adorably short and slender" "violet robed woman" likewise with two arms.
    Even if we assume the ability to take human form isn't an automatically acquired ability and is something learnt, then while Devilhand might have changed shape to human for some reason, Shiyu shouldn't have ever heard of humans before.

The culprit is likely lazy writing, but I wanted to know if it ever became anything more.

8. itdontevenmatteruknow

itdontevenmatteruknow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't matter at all in the book how they are. Most r in humanoid form which is standing on 2 legs with clear distinction between head torso arms and legs. Now head can be any shape or size with anything on it. 1Eye or 2 or 3 etc. Any amount of arms. But mainly fitting head torso arms legs bodyline of humans are what iet uses as man and woman.

9. Robinhood1

Reading List:
    Link
    What u r saying is understandable, u want fantasy to be fantasy and try to remove all elements of reality from it. However, if the things are too different then viewers will not be able to connect, and will have to spend extra time understanding, and keeping in mind the same things in novel when reading further chapters. You can try reading ST(another novel from same novel) where the author explained each and every species and did mention the character's race and what it is when they meet first time(or at least try to).
    Novel becomes weird if too many elements are changed, and writing it becomes hard.Author will have to check their notes to avoid inconsistency later on,which might become a hassle over the span of thousand of chapters,also possibly reducing writing speed. It is not being lazy, but being realistic. You want readers to read the novel, not leave it after a few chapters saying hard to understand and what not.

You can try reading Monster Musume No Iru (something something) - Its main character is human and others are monsters or something. I haven't read it, but if it suits ur taste u can try looking for more such rec.

10. StampedingSquirrel

StampedingSquirrel Unstoppable Sciuridae

Reading List:
    Link
    What really bothers me is IET's lazyness at describing the characters. Mostly he just describe the side characters as a man or woman and then tells us the color of their robes. Really? Everybody looks like a human, even outsiders (even though Mother Nuwa created the human race in the three realms), and they all wear robes. Very few of them are described as looking as a youth or an old person. IET could put more effort on this. He could at least give each one of them a unique/singular characteristic to differentiate them, make some of them wear different clothing instead of a robe, make some of them three eyed, some two-headed, others quadruped, maybe beast-like, give some of them tails or wings (even though they are not needed for flying), change skin colors, write some of them with scales, feathers or hairy, after all not all true gods and fiendgods look alike, at least early on, each one were unique, after all humans were made to look like Pangu, so most True gods spontaneously born from nothing should look different from pangu and humans, but then why are almost all of them just described as a "grey robed man"? Even if all of them are really very human-like, at least describe their eyes' colours hair's colours, skin colours, hair cut, hair length, their sizes (how tall one is, if he is slim or fat or muscular), give them some other clothing besides robes, maybe describe some accessories or tattoos (didn't fiendgod refiners have divine tattoos or something?) or scars they may have, for god's sake. IET had put more effort on the early books of DE, each diremonster and fiendgod was unique, side characters were better described (relatively, because it was not that good, although far better than in the current book) but it gradually got worse and it is amazing how lazily he wrote these last translated books. I'm still wondering how he stretched this novel until book 42 considering how lazy and poor he was writing.

11. Robinhood1

Reading List:
    Link
    I think only this can satisfy u now. If not, i am at my wits end ...

Taniniver and Reasonable Guy like this.
  12. Reasonable Guy

Reasonable Guy ❄Highschool Memories❄ ❄Boy of Zeta❄

Reading List:
    Link
    I think IET don't want to go to the detail for the minor charactes, so he is just simplified his explanation.
    Well i don't know the author but in The Desolate Era until lastest translate chapter, there is no fatal error that he made.