Digital Art Resources

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by craBebe, Oct 10, 2016.

1. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought this might be of interest to some people on this site who are interested in learning digital art, or just learning how to draw and paint in general. If you have an interest in concept art, character design, environment design, or 3D art, this may be of interest to you.

I know finding a good source for information is a huge hurdle as starting on the path to becoming an artist is an incredibly daunting one. Interest and passion are one thing, but finding the path to walk can be quite a difficult one. I've been at this for a while now and if there's one thing I've come across that I wish I had come across earlier it is definitely this website:

www.fusroda.com

If you check out their resources section there are tons of free online artist resources from tutorials, to reference, anatomy guides, free programs, 3D design tools.. it's really incredible the amount of information they've compiled for free or for purchase(mainly free).

One that if you're new to art or digital painting is Ctrl + Paint, this is really an incredible site that an artist put up that is basically a curriculum to learn how to draw and paint digitally, and shows you a step by step approach for self study that you can follow along. I wish I had found this as a beginner as I feel I could have skipped over a lot of the pitfalls I've come across.

The FZD(Feng Zhu Design) School is another really good youtube source that has a ton of online tutorials for becoming an industry concept artist, mainly focused on environment, character, creature, and industrial design work. If you've never seen Feng Zhu's work, check his stuff out. He's a God.

Another incredible resource under the book section is Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter and Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist by James Gurney. He was the Dinotopia Illustrator and the absolute go-to illustrator if you want a classic realistic illustration of something that you could never see in real life. Just an incredibly dense amount of knowledge packed into such a small package that can really help you understand how to translate reality onto a 2-dimensional surface.

---------

That's about it, there's a million other things on that site that are fantastic resources but those are my highlights that you might take a look at if you're interested in Digital Painting or Illustration.

Hope ya'll enjoy!

2. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot [Primus Exemplar] [ Ex-Machina] [Omnifarious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...
    As a side note
    It's been nine years...
    but when did
    I draw girls : https://www.idrawgirls.com/
    try to be more legitimate by rebranding to theartclasses.com

Chewy likes this.
  3. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    haha xia tapara actually has a bunch of good digital painting tutorials, he seems to be a good instructor.

4. LuneyLune

LuneyLune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you (I'll look into it when I have the time)
    This'll help me improve my shody human drawing. As a side note, not sure if I want to get into digital art thought it would be cheaper.

5. BlazingLord07

BlazingLord07 Underworld Judge Atral-Tree

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow thanks, I've been looking for something like this but I've been unable to find one

craBebe likes this.
  6. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    There's something to be said for learning to walk before you can run, if you can't draw then you can't paint. That said, photoshop is an incredibly powerful tool that pretty much all commercial art is done in now-a-days. If you have an interest in illustration or concept design, you'll probably be doing it digitally unless you're an incredibly kick ass traditional painter (Dan Dos Santos.)

7. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I wish I had found it a lot sooner. So much fantastic information, it's amazing that these guys compiled it all together for people.

8. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot [Primus Exemplar] [ Ex-Machina] [Omnifarious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm~Hmm Hmm Hmm hmm?

10. anhrefn

Reading List:
    Link
    you never will be good at drawing

get over it

I accepted the fact I don't have talent

11. Chewy

Chewy 「Inactive from now」「Contact me on Dm」

Reading List:
    Link
    Loni4ever, Justderpin and craBebe like this.
  12. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Talent is just time spent doing something, it's passion more than anything. It's the willingness to keep doing it even though you know you're terrible and to keep on doing it until you're not quite as terrible, until you eventually become mediocre.. then you'll pretty much be stuck there forever, but the rest of the world will probably think you're pretty good.

iampsyx, Imnotarobot and Chewy like this.
  13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to reccomend Level up.
    It is a youtube channel where the host interview various professional artist. It's not really 100% tutorial, but is more to personal approach to each artist. The video is pretty long and could reach an hour each.

Chewy and craBebe like this.
  14. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha www.fusroda.com is quite literally their website that hosts all the information they've compiled. The guys are amazing for doing this for the art community.

Shio likes this.
  15. Chewy

Chewy 「Inactive from now」「Contact me on Dm」

Reading List:
    Link
    And thank you @craBebe
    I sorta stepped into digital painting without a clue and barged head on with painstaking experimental processes.
    These resources are dope <u<

craBebe likes this.
  16. anhrefn

Reading List:
    Link
    wow

the site is really good

craBebe likes this.
  17. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the Ctrl + Paint seems like a really good resource for beginners. Robotpencil is also really good, he has some really good fundamental photoshop gumroad tutorials that answer a lot of questions about how to get started. So much fantastic information out there, just go work through it.

What anthony jones can do with the smudge tool.. guughh.. too good. The man's a wizard.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Chewy likes this.
  18. Hashimishi

Hashimishi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chewy and craBebe like this.
  19. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    RIGHT?!?! All the information is there, just go start drawing.

20. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link