Discussion Do you hate me?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dolfitos, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Dolfitos

Dolfitos 『Kingsize』 『Jason of N.U.F』

Reading List:
    Link
    I made this thread because I remembered a rather uncomfortable situation that happened to me and a friend and wanted to know your opinions on why this happened. I was playing Halo 1 normally with my friend, no trolling and no provocations of any kind between us and the other players, then we starting speaking in portuguese(and we weren't even saying anything bad just talking) and bam! Both of us were kicked out of the game, we of course were a little annoyed, but tried again and the same thing happened twice more before we could finally play a full game with some cool guys, so that's what happened and my questions are why? Is it because we were Brazilian? Does this happens with people from other countries too? Were they just assholes? Besides those questions if the same thing happened to you whatever your nationality may be tell the story and let's help each other in figuring why.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  2. madpinger

madpinger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bias, or prejudice against you based on the language. A bad reputation proceed yours language sadly. A long standing one iirc, among mmo's in general. Not much you can do about idiots who can't judge you on your actions and character.

Dolfitos, Terepi and ultragunner like this.
  3. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh
    It was probably cuz they couldn't understand what U were saying and assumed u were talking shit or something.

Dolfitos, Kronos, otaku31 and 5 others like this.
  4. MostlyBlue

MostlyBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People on online games are usually cunts to people who don't speak english, why? I don't know.

Dolfitos likes this.
  5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was the moderator of a fairly large, international forum, and we had to heavily enforce an English-only policy because we needed to have a common point of reference for the conversations going on there.

A lot of websites and game servers will have a policy dictating acceptable languages that can be used on the service. A lot of it comes down to moderation. If you, as a moderator, can't understand what the people are saying on your service, you can't properly moderate the conversation.

That said, it might be the people were being racist. Anyway, life's short, so don't fixate on the bad stuff. Just remember that you found some people playing an online shooter that weren't dicks and be happy about that.

MrSplashy, Tramsloof, Kronos and 8 others like this.
  6. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People dislike being unable to understand what you're saying, they want in on the conversation too. You're also making it hard for anyone who wants to use the VOIP because you're already using it and it'd be hard to make themselves heard when you're making so much noise.

7. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who doesn't ??:blob_sunglasses:

DiabolicGod likes this.
  8. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    could be...

could also be that they wanted to play with people they understood, to be able to communicate (asuming they didn't understand you)

could be they were trying to get in a room with friends, and you just happened to barge in...

could be that they found your talking annoying, just cuz of the sound, not caring about language...

could be because they assumed you talking meant you were distracted so they just kicked you...

could be you played like crap, or played too well...

but question is... why do you even care?

you don't know theym, they don't know you, so why not just ignore it?

Dolfitos likes this.
  9. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's bad manners to speak in a language other people don't understand. If you want to speak portugese to each other use discord or some other voicechat program.

mir, StuffedDuck, Kronos and 6 others like this.
  10. BarryKaizer

BarryKaizer your crazy fairy godmother of death

Reading List:
    Link
    long explanation cut short people hate anything they cant understand

11. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    If I play Overwatch and someone starts speaking spanish or whatever I get annoyed too, because it's a team game and if someone uses the team chat to communicate in a way that most don't understand it's counterproductive at best and nerve wracking at worst.

otaku31, PotatoZero and MangoGuy like this.
  12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to be rude but... I think you posted this thread on the wrong section, because this is the Novel General, and I thought I clicked something about a novel. Only to find this... and this should be transferred to General Chat instead. As to why I'm replying to you like this, because I'm triggered seeing wrong content on the wrong section of the forum.

MrSplashy, Dolfitos and fuzor100 like this.
  13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    My internet is no where quick enough to play these things, but I am gonna stay positive and assume that they just thought that you were talking behind their back.

14. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it was because of language barrier.

Maybe you say something in your language that like a curse in English or something similar like that.

Or maybe there is a rule that you should speech only in English…

15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhuheahueahueahuea. But maybe they just kick all non English as they understand it and not due to being specifically biased.

16. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me ask you a question in return!!

If a game got multilingual option, but since English is officially known that could be spoken by majority of the peoples around the world.
    Would everyone rather use English so that everyone can understand or use their own native language just to stand out?

Although you're not doing it intentionally, but even doing it unintentionally you're standing out and besides it won't going to look nice to others specially since they don't know what you're saying, while they can hear/see (chat) that you're talking.

Just like when you're working, and talking in your native language while customer near you doesn't know what you're talking. In-case in England, in most of the case a customer would think you're rude since you're not talking English with your colleagues in a work.

StuffedDuck likes this.
  17. HavekZero

HavekZero A well meaning, contributing member of this forum

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel ya bruv.

I can't cross the street without someone asking we whether I'm eating biryani for lunch and whether I really prostrate in front of a cow....

18. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they can't speak Portuguese. It's annoying enough when someone uses their own language which you don't know from your team even though it's an international game, fucking write & speak English! I'd also kick those people. And take back racism?! tag, it's annoying as hell because it's being used too much for every little thing.

StuffedDuck, Kronos and PotatoZero like this.
  19. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, yes.

Second, gonna read the post now.

Third, (serious now) maybe? I remember back when I played LoL, testing a new champ in a bot game, when all of my teammates starting texting in french. I heard about how french players suck before, but we almost lost against easy bots!!!

So maybe people have made some bad experience with people who speak portugese (trolls, noobs, hackers or w/e) OR they just thought you were insulting them, b/c they didn't understand you.
    OR
    They were offended by you talking in a language unknown to them in the team chat, thus basically blocking their communication channel.

20. dlist

dlist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if u are girl they wont kick u.