Do yu think once a translator starts a work they are the only allowed or whether other can interfere

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kelvk, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelvk

Kelvk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just looking at the comments section on star wishes blog and thought about the beef between them

2. kuraian

kuraian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its courteous for other translators not to interfere with a project, but nobody has the right to declare a novel theirs to translate.

3. Brenterrou

Brenterrou New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wishuponahope.blogspot.com said she sent an email to Thyaeria asking to work together but he refused.

None of the translators owns the novel but at the same time it would be better if worked together. In this community, it's not right to poach other projects but since Thyaeria is refusing to work together I don't see a problem with her doing her own thing.

Plus wishuponahope isn't even accepting donations so what's the problem?

4. dafortminor

dafortminor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I used to be a manga scanalator and I used to jack other people's work all the time if they were deadly slow. I completed a few works as well. In the manga community it was often looked as that it is the author's hard work and not the scanalator, so its free game since we do not own the material. In the novel community its just taboo I guess so I do not really have an opinion of the novel side of things as I do for manga.

JJ likes this.
  5. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so. It's probably more of translator's etiquette and all that jazz. Consider what RWX posted about digging holes but his sample size is just one novel and it's probably due to the sudden boom of sponsored chapters. Look at clicky (accuracy) and LMStranslation (faster translation). IIRC both makes donation optional. Another one would be Kumo desu ga which is translated by two groups. The other one is for speed while the other is accuracy.

EDIT: It seems LMS was done out of poaching as seen on his blog. Oh well, at least end is cool with it.

I just have to ask, what if you asked permission to the translator and he decides to say no because he got first? Now that is BS.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. kukelekuuk00

kukelekuuk00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as said translator isn't poaching translations I'd be fine with it. If you're not working together with a group then it's only natural that you don't just start translating the same chapters as the competition. People don't like that. It's what led to Stellar Transformations having no translators for a while. People were competing. and the slower translator ends up left in the dust.

But if the translator is re-translating a series from the beginning (or if there was another translator group that quit translating, from where they left off) then I don't see a problem with it.

An example of something that works well is Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? Turb0 is a fast machine-translator with a large following. But a lot of people might not find his translations readable. (understandably so)
    There is someone else (blastron) who is translating the same series, but he/she is doing a more accurate and more readable translation, but at a slower pace and starting from the first chapter. And that's cool.

Shio likes this.
  7. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    i think this goes into the territory of are they just doing it to spite the other person or just taking another persons work. for example in stellar transformation where people just kept on taking the last person translation to the point where everyone just for months

8. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that if translation speed and quality is good then it should be left to a single translator/team. For several reasons.
    1) It's always nicer to not need to go to six different sites to read a single story.
    2) Translation isn't an exact science and translators will differ on what choices they make regarding this. Names for example will often change when translators do. I find this annoying.
    3)If you are releasing chapters ahead of the original translator then you are essentially increasing the likelihood of spoiling the story for someone.
    4) You can demotivate someone who is already working on the project.

So the person trying to steal or butt in on TDG is being an attention seeking douche as far as I am concerned. If that wasn't the case why post the chapters now while there is still an 80-90 chapter gap instead of just building them up until the translation reaches that point and doing a mass release. Only other reason I can think of would be to combat the trend of translators accepting donations but that seems both useless and poorly executed as they aren't actually directly competing with TDG's current translator.

9. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the new translator ask permission to translate to the current translator, whether the latter accepted it or not, I'm fine with it. As someone mentioned already, the work itself is the hard work of the author anyways.

It's better if the author just publish everything so this discourse is put to a close. More profits for the author too!

10. Mushroomteaparty

Mushroomteaparty Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Re:Monster is a good example where it went wrong. The original group stopped and now all we have are machine translations that has the main character going into town on skeleton centipedes.

11. Sansome

Sansome A Kind and Honest Villager X

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm genuine leecher to the core and I'm proud. Y'll *Translators* just need some loves! Me as representative of F5 army just want to say we loved you! Most of us can't donate just help *you* with some ads Even though we rarely commented everytime *you* post a new chapter but remember we always read *your* works and stalk *you* until the internet disconnected do us apart.

JJ likes this.
  12. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I pronounce you ? and ?. You may now kiss the ?.

13. Takumi168

Takumi168 『Forever Alone Guild』『Boredom sect』『Merchant』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you missed the point. The reason people are so keen on owning the rights (imaginary or otherwise) is due to the fact there's a bit of interpretation that goes on in the translation process. It's much less pronounced in Mangas due partly to the art work. (Readers make there own judgment for mangas). I can speak for Chinese novels because some has flowery words and the names (places/people) that have multiple meanings. Both of these can get lost in translation. So it up to the translator to find a way to show foreign readers what the author meant. The other part might be the difficulty in synchronizing the chapter release. If you alternate chapter release and something happened to the other translator the translation is stalled. What wishuponahope is doing probably is the best compromise out there for translators. When Thyaeria catches up he could get a break before continuing where wish left off if he stops if not he can start 100 chapter ahead and keep alternating that way.

14. Takumi168

Reading List:
    Link
    Leechers and the leach lol kiss the leach

Shio and JJ like this.
  15. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not called compromise though. It's basically what other translators are doing, collaborations. Just like slime. Two translator group!

EDIT: As I see it, the sponsored chapter really did change how translating is done and seen. Money really is evil.

Takumi168 likes this.
  16. Takumi168

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll half agree since you never know when someone drops out due to rl issues.
    1. Check novel update site, they compile most of the poplar novels so your really just checking 1 site. It doesn't matter since all you need is to click the next chapter link to get there. Sure the inconvenience is there if you start reading from one site and they direct you to another but the work is free and comprehensive so readers shouldn't complain in the first place.
    2) the reason hope is translating from so far forward is so s/he won't interfere with the current release. Readers are already warn that the translation is 100 chapter ahead by the chapter number. The purpose of the work is to try out translating and the story the tlr likes so happens to be already worked on. Why post it now because it'll take half a year more or less to get 100 chapter out and by that time hope might have moved on or it'd be buried somewhere. Plus he can't get feedbacks if he sit on the work and not publish it. Since he's not asking for donations it shouldn't matter what he's doing

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  17. Takumi168

Reading List:
    Link
    Compromise on hope's part since Thyaeria said he didn't want to collaborate.

18. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    -There are tons of other stories to work on, and the current translator does not want to share the project.
    -If hope moves on before we reach that point then there was never any point in hope posting anything.
    -Donations or not really have anything to do with it.
    -I'm not saying don't translate it for him/herself I'm saying don't post it.
    -Most of the community is leechers so there isn't a lot of quality feedback to be had even if it's posted. There would be more by joining a translation team. That did not work out for TDG and rather than finding something else they forced the issue.

Also not collaborate does not mean skip ahead 80-90 chapters then translate and post is a compromise. It's basically an F-you to Thyaeria. As in "Fuck you, I'm doing it anyway." Also Thyaeria accepting donations makes the refusal to collaborate reasonable, because working together anonymously could get very messy very easily when money is involved.

Takumi168 likes this.
  19. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, ok. It should be better for a collaboration though. There are 1k+ chapters out there. We haven't even seen a completed translated chinese xianxia until CD finishes and that only has 700+ chapters. What more for MGA who has 2k chapters?

I really do question the motive for translating sometimes. Is it to give an audience to a novel they like? as I know the previous code for translators, Or were they allured by the money they receive from it?

20. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    He could just link the chapters the other translator did and translate other chapters that isn't translated yet. Just like slime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.