Discussion Doing bad things to bad people.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tinkerlin, May 26, 2017.

1. Tinkerlin

Tinkerlin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is a thought which has been rolling about in my mind for a while now, the idea that doing bad things to bad people is acceptable because they are bad people.

Now one of the things I enjoy the most about the Asian novels is how they do not stick their main characters to the traditional hero roles (and I don't mean the anti hero role either like wolverine or something).

Stories like Koe no Katachi or Youjo Senki give us characters who would verbally be placed in the role of an antagonist and tell the story from there.

Koe no Katachi's main character is probrably as petty of a villain as they come, an elementary school bully. (To be honest I was so put off by it at first I immediately dropped the manga only to get back into it later #gotbulliedinelementary) yet he is still our main character and despite the "bad things" he does and the "bad person" he is, the mangaka doesn't stick to the standard "bad things to bad people is ok" idea and what happens to him makes us feel bad.

Youjo Senki is another one. The actions she takes can very easily be considered evil, and many people immediately call her out on being a bad person for it. Along with that they attached the title of Nazi onto her. While yes, the Empire is based of the German army, and yes calling an artillery strike on civilians is a horrifying thing, so what about bombing cities?

The main thing bothering me here is the lack of criticism of the bombing of Germany and Japan in WW2, and the artillery strikes and bombing strikes carried out in Korea and Vietnam during their respective wars. Is their being bombed considered "ok" since they were "bad people"? People are more than eager to call out the merciless attack of civilians in a fiction world, but in the real world, so long as they are "bad people" it seems to be ok.

Tldr: is doing bad things so bad people ok to you?

chopin124 and JLIX19 like this.
  2. JLIX19

JLIX19 『Harem Sect Elder』

Reading List:
    Link
    Youjo Senki........
    She?!?!

3. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing is better then fuck up bad people with the same coin and see them feel what they did to others and most of the time those people break easy since they are cowards most of the time

4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    the two nuclear bombs drops were considered acceptable due the fact that they effectively ended the war.
    a war that would take the better part of a decade due to persisentace of japoneses (after all there were even soldiers that without order during 20 year continued fighting).

Zeckzen likes this.
  5. Seraphim

Seraphim 天使の王

Reading List:
    Link
    They can just say that it is a necessary evil. Doesn't matter if Hitler brainwashed most of the German people. Doesn't matter if old Japanese tradition was of utmost loyalty to the Emperor. Since the winner gets to write the history, everything should be just okay by downplaying their evils and intensifying the evil of the defeated foe.

FAiri110 likes this.
  6. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    What does verbally placed mean?
    I've done bad things to bad people when I was younger, but I regretted it as I got older. Also, I've been in a position numerous times in which others may have perceived me as a bad person too

asriu, Zeckzen and strayCat0 like this.
  7. GembelELITE

GembelELITE low-profile member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just look at heroes movies, whatever the heroes do to bad people ( tortue, killing, etc) in all people eyes the always hero right

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I don't think I would do bad things to others,no matter who they are. Unless they piss me off. I feel that terming someone 'bad' is redundant.

9. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's mostly lessening the guilt when the target is a bad person. and justifying that it is okay if they are bad person is actually to run away from a bit of guilt left in them.

Silver Snake, mir, chopin124 and 2 others like this.
  10. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    But what if it's the 'bad kitty' bad? Rawr.....

chopin124 likes this.
  11. Nurman

Nurman ( ಠ∩ಠ) [Retired Ton]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about perspectives, its usually the victors that live on to record their perspectives as history.

Doing bad things to bad people? Once again its perspectives, some people consider these bad things to be the consequences of the perpetrator's actions, some justify it as some means of punishment and others believe that the victors are no better than the bad people. Now back to the question,
    Honestly, it depends on the severity of the crime/situation. But then again, I'm just a hypocrite living a hypocritical life~

chopin124 and Dont_Don like this.
  12. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    It feeds your sense of Justice.

Dizzcity likes this.
  13. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Its never okay as bad people you define is subjective.

14. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like a sadist's viewpoint is abut biased here...so, yes, it's perfectly acceptable to watch people beg for mercy and scream way the top of their lungs. Provided you pay their medical bills, of course.

FAiri110 likes this.
  15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    well it will still be put in a discussion 'cause according to some Japan is already ready to surrender to the US even before little boy was dropped due to the impending Soviet invasion of the Japanese Isle back then. So yeah

16. EROgeX

EROgeX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing is good
    Nothing is bad

Everything is just a matter of perspective

All of it is for nothing

For we serve no real purpose.

FAiri110 likes this.
  17. P0n3swag

P0n3swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the Chinese novels heroes always do bad things to bad people and I love them for it. I think of western novels where Harry Potter and his friends wouldn't even kill Voldemort or his followers and compare that to almost every translated novel which would have harry get revenge on the death eaters and exterminate 9 generations of their families

Alixiron likes this.
  18. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Small correction.

I don't think anybody has really said that bombing Germany & Japan was "ok".

Any argument pertaining to that has largely been about early ending of the war caused less casualties overall.

And for the Vietnam war, there was some backlash. People weren't really fine with what the U.S. army was doing even among the Americans.

You probably don't hear much criticism of it these days because its not exactly recent news...

19. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    Batman does it right desu

udonsage likes this.
  20. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    There are things that is acceptable IRL and in fiction.

In fiction, as long as you are the MC then even if you are bad/evil it doesnt really matter because the story revolves around you.

IRL is different, if what you did is something that kills the life of others and the world as a whole thinks its wrong then youre the bad guy and deserving of death.

As for reference please read the Tate No Yuusha chapters regarding the Hero of the Bow (mostly during the time he is being captured and taken in by Naofumi)

hondatadakatsu likes this.