Dungeon Hunter and Dimensional Sovereign Permanently Taken Down from Gravity

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by rainbowturtle, Aug 15, 2017.

1. rainbowturtle

rainbowturtle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey everyone,

I know you’ve been curious about what is going on with Dungeon Hunter and Dimensional Sovereign.

The last thing I heard about licensing DH and DS was a while ago before I left, where they weren’t progressing at all because Munpia hadn’t replied. Therefore, I was completely blindsided when someone linked me to this post because I had absolutely no idea about the take down or that licensing was even progressing at all.

After talking to GGP about it, the only answers to my questions is that Gravity is discussing with Munpia about rights to display my translations. My other questions couldn’t be answered at all because they are under ‘NDA.’

I do want my novels to get licensed but I don't like the way this was handled and I am uncomfortable about not getting to know some of the details about the license, despite being the translator.

Therefore, I have decided to permanently take down DH and DS from Gravity. They won’t be posted anywhere else at the moment, although that might change in the future.

I’m sorry for the readers but I’m sure there are epubs or pdfs floating around out there.

2. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hopefully you will get things handled in a way you like. Good luck with the licensing.

Hahhaa and Jarrow like this.
  3. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Likewise. You put too much effort into the work you did for other people, to be disregarded. Many thanks. : )

On a related, less pleasant note, Gravity seems to be moving in an unpleasant direction?

4. Hazery

Hazery Missing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, time to use google chache to create the pdf...

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh , its GGP again boys that kid is getting naughtier & naughtier every single day .

Aljinn, DerpyCyao, Pretender and 4 others like this.
  6. Dips

Dips [Cheese God][Poké Professor][ADarkPain]Bored.

Reading List:
    Link
    I see! Damn that sucks for new readers. Especially the ones who are halfway through. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon. Also loving Ian the orc.

7. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Just join WW and work with their existing Korean contacts.

8. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    The GREAT UPHEAVAL IS COMING:
    PREPARE FOR THE THREADS:

9. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WOW GGP is being a real DICK! He could have at least told you before doing what he is doing. There is no more giving that guy a chance as he is just doing things in self interest. Hope you get the translation rights.

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  10. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Salexe

Salexe [Procrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn that sucks.

But keep up the spirit Rainbow Turtle i have enjoyed reading those translations so far. I hope to see more from you maybe on other sites.

anonnovelupdates likes this.
  12. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the hard work, DH and DS are great sad for the new reader they need to dig in the internet to read it. XD

anonnovelupdates likes this.
  13. Petiepotter

Petiepotter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Stay away from richard kong's site man..
    Its now just a proxy website for yuewen to widden their wings..
    Its not the same site like in the past where translator gathers freely to have more people read their stuff at a light website.

15. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh well.. that sucks.

Hope that your current endeavours won't be hampered.

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :notlikeblob:It's here:notlikeblob:

:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:Brace for impact, people :blobpopcorn:

Good luck, @rainbowturtle . Don't be discouraged desu.

17. tskalabri

tskalabri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @LaDyViL GGP responded on reddit
    GGP's Response
    goodguyperson Gravity Tales

Since you've decided to stop responding on discord, I'd like to clear some things up.

I've repeatedly apologized for not giving you a second update for the issue of DS and DH after I got a new update with new information while I was about to talk to you about the taking down.

You've mentioned me blindsiding three times and each time I've apologized and explained to you why I didn't follow up on the first update: I got an update and new information and thought to first confirm everything.

Second, for the licensing, I've said that the licensing costs will be a five-figured number that Gravity Tales would be paying out of pocket. In addition, for the licensing, it will only be for the display rights of the novels on Gravity Tales while other sites such as Munpia would not be displaying the novels. Another question you've asked was about the ownership of DS and DH and I've responded saying that the translations are still yours. This licensing deal is merely for the display rights on Gravity Tales that I would be paying out of pocket.

Like I've said to you, I will not be going after rights such as eBook publishing or anything of that sort due to this being me paying out of pocket and asked if you were looking to publish. Rather, like many things that you've done, you've ignored that once again.

I've looked over our conversation and the only part that I haven't gave you a straight answer on is your question of profit sharing and a copy of the agreement. There's nothing I can do about that unless you're asking me to chance this negotiation with Munpia.

I understand if you need to sleep and decide to just not respond, or just end the conversation saying that you need to sleep. But, you should be giving the whole story.

Turtle's Response
    redandblackturtle Wuxiaworld[S]

Clearly we have different views about this and I tried not to mention everything just in case you didn't want certain things leaking out. But if you want me to tell the whole story, why don't I just post screenshots of our conversation and we can let the readers decide? Up to you.

goodguyperson Gravity Tales
    Sure, if you're okay with it, let's post logs.

So logs incoming it looks like?

Edit logs came

[12:49 PM] RainbowTurtle: http://gravitytales.com/news/85
    [12:49 PM] RainbowTurtle: ???
    [12:50 PM] RainbowTurtle: way to completely blindside me
    [12:51 PM] GGP: On what?
    [12:52 PM] GGP: What did you want me to do?
    [12:52 PM] GGP: Once we get the license, they will go back up.
    [12:52 PM] GGP: If you want to move them to WW, be my guest
    [12:52 PM] RainbowTurtle: at least tell me that you're taking them down? are licensing talks actually progressing? like shouldn't i have some say in this?
    [12:54 PM] GGP: Yes. We are getting the licenses before the month's end. So, it should not be longer than two weeks down.
    [12:54 PM] GGP: Which is why I said never mind. Because I got confirmation from Munpia that we would be able to get a temporary license for the time being which means that this is only going to be temporary.
    [12:55 PM] RainbowTurtle: will i at least get to know the terms of this licensing deal?
    [12:57 PM] GGP: Do you want to also foot the bill? Because despite everything, I was going to cover this cost one last time for you.
    [12:57 PM] RainbowTurtle: i just want to know whats involved
    [12:58 PM] RainbowTurtle: cos im completely blindsided by this
    [12:58 PM] RainbowTurtle: is it just publishing rights, ebooks rights?
    [12:58 PM] RainbowTurtle: like what's going on?
    [12:58 PM] RainbowTurtle: you know? they are still my translations and i want to know these things
    [12:59 PM] GGP: No. For DS and DH, it will only be the display rights.
    [1:01 PM] GGP: I know they are your translations. But did you want a heads up? Because that's what the post was for.
    [1:02 PM] RainbowTurtle: not really a heads up when i didn't even know about it until someone linked me the post a day later. but yeh..a heads up would've been nice. it also would've been nice to know that licenses are actually progressing when last i heard there was nothing happening
    [1:02 PM] GGP: Sure. What do you want to know about the licenses? [1:03 PM] GGP: My bad on the heads up. That's what the post was for and I thought you would be seeing that. Guess not. Also, I confirmed with Munpia about how soon we would be able to put them back up and they said that a temporary license would come down before the month's end which is in about 2 weeks
    [1:10 PM] RainbowTurtle: what is the cost of the license, the specifics of it such as profit sharing etc, what else is involved aside from display rights? what are the specifics of the display rights? will i be allowed to see the agreement?
    [1:10 PM] GGP: Five figures. Rest NDA
    [1:11 PM] GGP: But for DS and DH, only display rights and translation rights. No eBooks, nothing further, unless you want?
    [1:12 PM] RainbowTurtle: you know what, im going to sleep right now i'll discuss this with you later
    [1:12 PM] GGP: ...................
    [1:12 PM] GGP: Good night
    [1:14 PM] GGP: I'll be here in the morning. But anyways, I'll be footing the bill for the display and translation rights for DS and DH. If you want to move them or expand further into ebooks etc., we can talk about that in the morning.
    August 14, 2017
    [8:41 AM] RainbowTurtle: one further question did you sign over any rights or licenses to my translations, such as the right for Munpia to use them on their site or for them to be displayed anywhere other than gravity?
    [10:56 AM] GGP: Nope. I will let you know if there's anything other than the display rights for gravity involved. Fair?
    [8:06 PM] RainbowTurtle: not fair, since based on the way you handled things, I don't trust you to let me know what's involved since you didn't even tell me about the taking down the novels and licensing part in addition, the other questions that I want to know are under 'nda' at this point, things are being too complicated for me. i think it would be best if you take DH and DS out of the licensing agreement that you are working out with munpia, i won't be moving them anywhere else right now, I'll just be taking them down for the moment and since they are already taken down from gravity, you don't have to do anything in regards to that aspect.
    [8:10 PM] RainbowTurtle: i don't like the whole way you handled this. i know you considered the post the heads up but i don't even when you said 'never mind' to me earlier, that would've been a good time to mention that things were happening regarding the licensing
    [8:12 PM] GGP: Okay, and I've already apologized for that. It was lack of foresight and while I was talking to you, new information from Munpia came up which is why I said never mind since I asked them for confirmation saying that we had to take them down for the time being, since they were going up anyways with a temporary license. Afterwards, I put up the post and throught that you would see that. My bad on not pming you again
    [8:19 PM] GGP: I really don't know what you want me to do. When you left Gravity Tales, the reasons as to why you wanted to leave were because you didn't want to be kept in the dark by not signing an NDA which is the equivalent of asking you to keep a secret as well as the fact that recent events made your stressed. And on reddit, you changed your stance, saying that you left because of a contract. We've worked well before which is why I'm surprised that you would jump to that conclusion. However, in the licensing talks, I still decided to include DS and DH. If I had really wanted, I could have left DS and DH out or kept DS and DH on the site and the responsibility with Munpia would nearly completely fall on you which would make you liable for just about everything related to your translations. Talking to Munpia, their authors are not happy about their novels being translated without licenses or communication with them. I think that I've done my fair share for you, before you left and after, and if after all of this, you still treat me like some kind of enemy that deserves to be met with disgust every other sentence, then I wish you well and won't bother you again.
    [8:30 PM] GGP: Now, we definitely have different view about things, but i'm willing to explain my actions as well as see if there's anything way of finding a middle ground where we can come to an understanding.
    [8:31 PM] GGP: Feel free to make an announcement about DS and DH. If you'd like, you can even make it on Gravity Tales.
    [9:07 PM] GGP: Jesus christ, can you at least stick to what actually happened in our conversation in your public posts?

Turtle's Screenshot Edit
    Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  18. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    He shoulda told him beforehand about something that important.. instead of just blindly following yuewen's order.
    I know yuewen wants things to go their way and they have 90% share... but RT is the translator here and he deserve to know before everything else.
    I feel like they fear that RT wont agree to it and just force their way first so that RT will agree to it later..
    But it deffinitely doesnt work.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Hahhaa likes this.
  19. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it very hillarous that someone who is directly involved in the agreement is being deprived of any information due to NDA... not telling a 3rd party any information due to NDA is something I'm sure everyone can understand BUT I never heard of parties involved being blocked by NDA.. Isn't that like signing a loan under another person name without them knowing it.... that sounded shady AF!!

20. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does GGP even put turtle in his eyes? Notification to Turtle should happen before he post it on gravity tales. Period. No respect here in my opinion.

Second, wondering if GT use turtle translation on the negotiation part. If I'm the licence holder (don't know if it munpia or the author), I want to make sure that the one that try to make deals have good stuff.

If GT are using any part of translation (or even supporting data from translation like traffic, ad revenue, etc) then IMO RT should be informed for any update of the deal.

Third, he may "forget" to update that the deal is going foward or something but forget to inform that they will taking down a novel? Even a temporary take down? Except a technical issue, TL MIA or urgent matter, I don't think there is any reason not reaching the TL.

I also afraid that this can start a very bad pattern. Since GT don't even own the TL chapter can make a deal, what prevent them to make deal for Praise the Orc, Book Eating Magician, Breaker and such? Damn, GT seems less and less caring to the TL and community. wonder who influence them...

Edit:
    @rainbowturtle you said permanent take down, so that mean even if GT manage to seal the deal your Translation won't be posted there? Or permanent take down untill the deal is finished (either success or fail)?

Hahhaa and Johnnycabra like this.