Request Educational/Scientific Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnGrave, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite type of novels have been the ones that I have actually learned something. From reading different isekai novels, I have learned a plethora of techniques for earning lots of money and building up civilization from nothing, including electrolysis, leadership techniques, mechanics, chemistry, ecology, blacksmithing, and many more fields that would take a very long time to list off. Of course, I have taken courses in schooling for a background in understanding these subjects, but reading it in a novel really gives a sense of practicality to that knowledge; I can now apply it with little extra ground work.

What I'm looking for is more that will give me this effect. I want some novels that were written by someone knowledgeable in a particular field, where it shows in their writing. Please recommend something that will teach me something interesting, and real (not about magic mechanics, although if it's about game mechanics that might be fine for programming).

2. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    The Magic Schoolbus.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    mir likes this.
  4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Valid point. Of course, I am a hobbyist so I try and make stuff using what I read, but thank you for stating that so there are no misunderstandings about being an expert in a field just because you read a book about it.

mir likes this.
  5. Vorpal

Vorpal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    epoch of the twilight I guess

6. halenton

halenton Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hpmor: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

7. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    If it isn't limited to webnovels, then Kathy Reichs's books (the ones that the TV show Bones is based off of). She's a forensic anthropologist, so I figure she knows what she's talking about in her crime books. I've only read the 1st one though.

Also, Salt: A World History. It's a nonfiction book that is written in a semi-narrative tone. People on Amazon apparently found it interesting. I did not, but I was also assigned to read specific chapters, not the whole thing.

EDIT: If you're into historic naval warfare: Master and Commander series or the Horatio Hornblower novels. Both are said to be well-researched and fairly accurate.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    UnGrave likes this.
  8. Ahmadawad1

Ahmadawad1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tempest of stellar war

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Parallel World Pharmacy - drugs and diseases
    Chemistry - chemical reactions, described fancifully, though
    The Tutorial Is Too Hard - self analysis psycholoy(?)
    I Reincarnated Into a Vending Machine - assorted Japanese vending machines

hungry_machiavellian likes this.
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    To confirm, your case about the vending machine one is that it will teach about the different types of japanese vending machines, right? I haven't read it yet, but to what extent does he describe the technical details of the vending machine?

11. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    No technical Details in the part that I read (30c). Just things that exist withing japanese wending machines.

Do you know the Manga Dr.Stone? It's abaut a guy that wants to restore the modern world after Humanity has somehow turned to Stone for a few thousand years.

I also reccomend you the english original UNSONG. You won't learn anything scientific, but you will learn a bit about Jewish mythology, Kabbalah and a few other things. I don't know if that falls into the area of what you want, but it's a very unique Story.

12. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Discussions on the operations of vending machines are only to the point of what he can or can not do, in terms of hardware limitations, for the situations he's in. The appeal for this novel concerns what type of vending machine, ie his merchandise, he can morph into (once he gets the abilitty) to support his friends and sometimes, to be a force multiplier for their situations.

13. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty nerdy ("vending machine otaku", I guess), but not very technical in terms of actual mechanical details, so probably not what you're looking for.

14. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mentioning only ones that haven't been mentioned yet.
    (No idea on the accuracy of any of these or if they are as descriptive as you are looking for.)

I think Great Tang Idyll and Risou no Himo Seikatsu have some of that in it.
    The Man Picked up by the Gods
    has manufacturing, but it depends heavily on magic, still describes things a tiny bit though.
    Otherworld Nation Founding Chronicles
    seemed to be going in that sort of direction with farming where I stopped reading (I stopped near the beginning because no updates).
    Jashin Tensei
    seemed to be going into sort of direction with military strategy but it never got far enough to see *sighs* (Sorry, don't take that recommendation seriously. It just came to mind and I wanted to complain a little.)
    Hokuou Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi is descriptive about a lot of things, including hunting, butchering, recipes and handicrafts.
    That's all I remember right now.

15. Visz

Visz Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No game no life?
    Sora and shiro defeated their opponents with knowledge of freakin' atomic force... and war tactics....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.