Recommendations Enchantress Among Alchemists rant; non-cliche female mc

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Genisyn69, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Genisyn69

Genisyn69 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the story is pretty much a repeat of all the others like it, its not bad at all.
    The MC is decent...?, but the main love interest being forgiven so easily is just laughable though.(in chapter 131ish)

And.. the usual female tropes show up of course. I get 'reincarnated' into trash is just xianxia, but its almost carbon copy (into this authors later/earlier work?, not to mention other authors) especially the "my sister wants me raped, but got raped in return". at least the house didnt catch fire this time (i think that was DKC?)

Also the translator just pisses me off with his "ben wang" bullsh*t instead of "this king". its really really really really really stupid and annoying.

I'll probably still read the story, but ugh I mean in other xianxia the MC will at least be like "yea i'll join this sect, the benefits will be great". However in these stories, the female MCs try SOOOOO fucking hard not to join anything its ridiculous. Part of me realizes a Xianxia world is far more 'dangerous' for them than for a male i guess, and they can easily be married off, trapped in such a situation, so i guess it make sense in a roundabout way?

It just bothers me that they almost never have ANY normal people, and the only reliable people they have around them, that aren't insane, are side characters for their army/forces. All the male MCs are near rapists.

Are there any good male side characters in this female MC genre? Any good female MCs that aren't going full retard whenever they have the chance? A story that isn't a complete carbon copy of the others? I understand cliche/tropes showing up, just so many follow the same exact path its scary.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole genre reeks cliche..
    What do you expect?

kuu0haku likes this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could say the same with novels that left -nanodesu-, -oniisama-, -yuusha-, -maou- etcetc in their romaji form

But I don't find them annoying or stupid. They're LN/CN/KN, it's part of what they are. But hey....everyone has their opinion. I just find it stupid that you call them bullsh*t and blame it on the translator:)

Edit: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ F.king sh.tty internet, I sh.t faster than you post my typo edits.

Imawa, Aiiee and Alixiron like this.
  4. Genisyn69

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I usually do some work over on lnmtl.com, helping change things into understandable formats, even if the grammar is terrible, the words get the meaning across. To another person who doesn't understand Chinese, would something like really be effective?

“Serving Ben Wang as a lowly servant? Do you even have that right? Ben Wang will only have one girl at his side in the past, present, and future. Even in Ben Wang’s Next Life, it would be the same case where nobody except her will have the right to stay by Ben Wang’s side.
    (edit: plus he capitalized it! the translation would be this King, even if he emphasized it as his title.)
    It comes across like a name in english. AND it wasn't just this character that used that saying, early on, so it actually made it confusing when the Ghost King showed up and started talking in the same manner as a playboy the MC rejected. Its not the same thing, Others come with flavor, but that has a very direct translation. If the translator was going to leave flavor in, its a poor choice for it.

and.... just because you started it. I find it stupid that you find it stupid that i find it stupid. take that stupid.

Anyways. I am actually looking for a decent novel, thanks for helping with that.

5. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha! I laughed at Genisyn69! That was good! And touche!

I don't really mind the terminologies used. For one, we are just readers that wait on the translated chaps. And second, sometimes, changing the terms changes the whole feel of the setting and/or meaning. The terms used don't necessarily make us NOT understand what is meant. Also, translators are kind enough to tell us what those terms mean. So...finding it stupid is like...hmn...unkind of you. If you'd like to eliminate the stupid things, translate your own chapters of CN. That way, it will satisfy you. But I agree with you on the novel. It is repetitive. And really short. But well, it has somehow its own flavor.

Playful Devil Miki995 and Aiiee like this.
  6. nekobakeneko

nekobakeneko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i for one like this story, if it's not your cup of tea you don't need to bash it
    (including the cliches and all the wonderful glitters that comes along with it)
    there are plenty of crap i can say about story with men as the MC as well
    so let just take everything with a grain of salt

Mangochic and Aiiee like this.
  7. Genisyn69

Reading List:
    Link
    A reasonable example of when the pinyin shouldnt really be changed is the *sfx* I completely agree when they leave that in. A few others too make sense, as their translation really loses their meaning, or impact. "this king" has an impact in english, just as "ben wang" would to a native speaker.
    Also i'm not sure they did, it first showed up in http://www.radianttranslations.com/enchantress-amongst-alchemists-ghost-kings-wife/eaa-chapter-18/
    That's the random playboy she calls dirty at one point, eventually the male MC (who is deep concealing as an idiot) just starts talking like that out of nowhere, it made me have to go back to chapter 18 to find out if he was the one originally saying that (which is what confused me) if I hadn't been familiar with the phrase, I probably wouldn't have realized what it meant. Initially, since this translator hadn't left anything but SFX in pinyin, this particular one threw me for a loop. I seriously thought it was someones name at first, who spoke in third person, until the male MC (and thus second person to do so) used the phrase.

O it was just the fact that the scene with her sister getting it on with a servant cause of 'lust inducing item' was pretty much dead on to the story in DKC, I mean cliches and tropes are one thing. Not sure which story came out first, or if there is one that did this before them. Its just 'wow'. I know there was at least a 3rd story that had this in there as well, I just don't remember it.

I stopped reading them, but i really liked the mistaken marriage match set of stories. Maybe i should revisit those.

8. nekobakeneko

nekobakeneko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is true that a lot of these story are almost literally carbon copy of one another
    but even in similarity the differences are still there, so like i say we should really take
    everything with a grain salt, that way we enjoy life a little better

and yes the mistaken marriage match series is indeed really good

9. Genisyn69

Reading List:
    Link
    yea the only other one i really took a liking too recently was the genius doctor/bbm one. Its different enough to stand out, and pretty good.

10. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I cried for the Imperial harem story. Although I can understand the reason for changing babies but uhhhh...really? The ancient people are really dangerous people.

GDBBM is also good! I just don't like the super short chapters but the translator makes up for the fast releases and extra releases. I'm stockpiling it for a couple of hundred chapters so I know I can finish one arc at the very least.