Recommendations established universes that don't mess with the canon.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cygsiulle, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    so, i'm lookin for some adventure-esque fanfic that has more focus on their own OC, while following the rules of the realm. i.e. i don't want any of the established characters playing much of any sort of role in the story, beyond maybe a nod to their existence, or having the MC take over as some sort super existence in the world (like they're the latest incarnation of the Avatar or possess the same abilities as another character that really should be following the rules of Highlander, "There can be only One!", or Mokona, "Mokona is Mokona. you would count them one Mokona, two Mokona, and then you'd stop. there's only two). having the basic powers that people can/should have, existing within the timeline, being OP, and so on are fine, but i really don't wanna read about some self-insert that screws with the original story line, reworks it as a "what if _______ was actually gay and loved the MC", or just goes straight to gender bending.

as for an example, something like In Different World with Naruto System would be pushing it. the abilities and world it's set in are suitable, even the summoning of the tailed beasts and the made up backstory he spouts off to 'em isn't too bad (as the main story of naruto doesn't actually get touched or altered in any noticeable form within the novel, or at least not as far i read before ultimately dropping it) . however, having the flow of things totally derailed so the author can spout off nonsense about the origins of ______ or how a situation is similar to the source and such totally ruins it for me. only novel worse than this that i've read, where the author seems to get off on talking about just how much "research" they've put into these background checks, would have to be My Father in Law is Lu Bu, which would definitely fail to meet what i'm looking for.

aside from that; sizable chapter count, acceptable grasp of the english language (i'm relatively lax on judging for punctuation and capitalization *cough*) , and either complete or ongoing with decent/regular updates would be ideal. as for the universe itself, i'd prefer to stay away from anything that feels overly futuristic or sci-fi-ish and go for more of a medieval to modern age, but i'm flexible so long as it doesn't get lost on its techno-babble. i'm not too big a fan of romance but, so long as the plot isn't utterly derailed for fan service on a regular basis, i'm fine with it even having harem. definitely leave out the yaoi/BL, gender bender, or anything with a seemingly unnatural focus on the perverse or beyond, though. also, i'm not overly concerned about what race/species the MC and other characters are. (human, dwarf, dragon, beastkin, anthropomorphic, or anything like that, so long as it suits the world),

i'm not really expecting much, nor do i foresee many actually reading all the stuff above, but let's see what'chu people got.

edit: currently got 30 things i'm plannin to check sometime tomorrow, time allowing. i'll whittle it down and post my results if i find anything actually interesting.

edit (part 2): worked it down to about 10. not holding much hope, at this point.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    but where's the fun?

3. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you could read any of the Star Wars books now cause all of them except for like10 or so are now officially non canon

ultragunner and RxSniper007 like this.
  4. Cygsiulle

Reading List:
    Link
    their story's already been told. there's no need to respin it. i'd rather read about something completely new in a world i'm familiar with than something like "20 years later, our intrepid MC sits in class where his teacher is a character from the source. join him as he meets new friends and old heroes you already know." or "after some strange plot based accident or other, ______ travels back in time, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home."

*sigh* disney is doing horrible things to so many different franchises. i doubt it's much longer till they make something like the disney infinity stuff canon and have all their IPs officially be in the same gigantic universe so can they have crossovers out the ass...

ultragunner and RxSniper007 like this.
  5. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to mention Boruto, but...well...I guess not.

LadyBlue likes this.
  6. BumChikiBum

BumChikiBum "Notice me, Onii-chan!~"

Reading List:
    Link
    So in the end, what do you want?

7. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that mokona from clamp's series? Eg. xxxholic, tsubasa reservoir chronicle etc?

8. Cygsiulle

Reading List:
    Link
    just a fanfic in a pre-established world that's unrelated to the main/official story. so something like a person reincarnating into a side character from harry potter and, using their newly discovered ninja skills and a magical alchemy pot, set forth to change the fate of cedric and save him from his fate of becoming a vampire, or they end up discovering that they are also "The One" and go on a journey to find and join up with Morpheus and Neo to fight the machines wouldn't be what i'm lookin for.

having the MC be some totally new and unknown OC pokemon trainer during the war nobody seems to want to talk about would be closer to what i'm after. the only established characters that should show up with any regularity at all would likely be the obvious officer jenny and nurse joy, as it's impossible to get away from either of them. of course, once his pokemon start talking with actual words (unless its psychic and uses telepathy), they start catching the gods/legendaries, or team up with a young professor something or other, ______'s missing father, or something like that, then it's crossed the line.

i really don't care too much about what series it's from, so long as they don't go changing the rules to suit them and stay away from the main story.

yes, 1:42. such a shame the anime couldn't continue for either of those thanks to conflicting licenses and their interweaving plots...

9. BumChikiBum

BumChikiBum "Notice me, Onii-chan!~"

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean like Terror Infinity and Absolute Choice?

10. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a tad confusing I'll be honest. Despite read Tsubasa reservoir chronicle 3 times I still don't complete get the plot.

11. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't want to hear that coming from the NTR sect leader

also i'm looking for a fanfic like this aswel

12. Cygsiulle

Reading List:
    Link
    TI would likely fit better between the 2, i think, but as it's not limited to a single world, it doesn't quite make it. i'd say AC would be closer to a parody/knock-off with all the renamed and recycled characters used rather than calling them OC, but (aside from that whole stupid tower arc that just kept/keeps dragging on and on) i'd say the rules/powers of the world itself felt about right. something kind of in between would be what i'm after, i suppose.

13. zetavoid

zetavoid Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now if you want something from one of the fanfic websites, there are a few someone decent stories.

14. Cygsiulle

Reading List:
    Link
    the problem is the "few" part. i started looking over at fanfiction and between the horribly small synopses on the list pages and how awful most of them sound, even without considering the things i'm actually looking for, i feel like i'll end up suffering more than tryin to MTL if i go sifting for too long.

15. vergilhellsing

vergilhellsing Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try this naruto tale of a ninja magician i think this is what you want it
    A story of an alternate world where small changes long long ago made a Ninja World of a different history and different people, different heroes and different villains. Meet a young girl that tries to live a life as a ninja with a completely different set of ideals from the cruel world that surrounds her, trying to remain unchanged

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  16. ultragunner

ultragunner Self-taught Mage

Reading List:
    Link
    This Bites! should fit in to your category right? its fairly loyal to the canon and only the background stuff are touched with any significant changes for now.

My Trans-Dimensional, Overpowered Protagonist, Harem Comedy is Wrong, as Expected. Oregairu/Danmachi - a crossover where the Danmachi-verse is largely left untouched other than the kinda OP protag. the canon events still happen although sometimes in the background (because Bell isnt the main MC)

Honestly if you find one that fits your requirements can you message them to me as well? Im spending a horrendous amount of effort searching and discarding fanfics hoping for another gem (RWBY still hasnt given me any satisfactory fics even though a few have come close)

17. Haigi

Haigi Skimming Binge Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...I have two.

It's a fanfic crossover of The Legend of the Sun Knight with The Unique Legend. It has 389 ongoing chapters up to date and doesn't exactly cut into each other's story roots.
    The downside is, its a chinese fanfic. - 吾命騎士X特殊傳說 第二人生

MTL works okay if you want the gist...but it's recommended to finish the translations of LSK before jumping in. Knowledge of UL is preferred but not needed as its more of a LSK incorporated into UL timeline (so you'll get to know about it eventually but just not the deeper mechanics).

All in all, I think these two works are quite compatible to be incorporated together.

The second would be a Devil May Cry crossed with Resident Evil fanfic.

There's a sequel to it and they're both completed - Resident DEvil
    It's a short story but again, I think they incorporate into each other well (and brings down the 'scare factor' of the zombie game)

vergilhellsing likes this.
  18. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Cygsiulle

Reading List:
    Link
    *shudder* just looked at 'em, both are self-inserts which i REALLY wanna avoid. OC characters are fine but, save for a few characters that might be unavoidable, i'd rather have not have any pre-established characters around at all, or maybe just as minor side characters that only show up as a simple nod to the source, at most.

This Bites! is painful to read. i know the word fuck is versatile, but i think it's already been overused well before the first chapter's even finished. the other one looks like the quality was a bit higher, possibly at a tolerable level, but it's not quite what i'm lookin for here.

still using established characters for the stuff in the second one, and i think the first might push the limits of what i can handle with MTL. haven't read either of the source novels, either, though i think i might check out Legend of the Sun Knight a bit later.

that one sounds close, but it kind of seems like it might follow along and revisit things from the main story, even if interactions with the strawhats aren't the focus. hard to call just from that, but i think it's the right direction.

edit: nope. goes straight into multiple established characters and events by chapter 2. not what i'm lookin for.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  20. vergilhellsing

vergilhellsing Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so i can not post links so if you like 40k they dont really fuck with the story most of the time and are some of the best done

The Circle Must be Broken
    Babylon five is a haven for warriors, idealists, dreamers, and wanderers. How much damage can one more ship of fanatics do in the long run?
    The Swarm of War
    A nerd has reincarnated as a Zerg Larva... and now he has been dropped into the Warhammer 40K. There is no time for peace. No Respite. No forgiveness. There is only WAR and the Swarm!