Explain Divine Sense's origin

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by salox, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salox

salox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So divine sense or something similar to it is pretty common place in large number of novels. It starts out as just an extension of the senses, which I get. But then it starts to spiral out of control with dragon ball z like escalation until characters can start picking things up or creating clones or cutting it off from themselves and what not. I've made my peace with this intense escalation with very little explanation, but what is the origin of divine sense. It doesn't seem like something that common sense just leads authors to imagine on their own. Where did this concept of divine sense come from? It is not something I have come across in western books so is it cultural pacific to China, Japan, and Korea?

2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    China usually, spread to korea and japan during take overs and multiple fighting battle sense or killing intent is probably a simpler way but divine sense is definitely a chinese idea

3. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    try reading eragon's saga, the author explain it quite well, I do not remember which book though. They dont call it divine sense either, but its the same thing. Its not a asian book btw.

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Not entirely sure but i think it was derived from something like Buddhism that divided up energies or something into three types, which we see in cultivation or very clearly in martial world, The flesh, the mind and the energy. Essence, Spirit and Qi or something.

5. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    The really thick novels with dragons in it?

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    It probably came from the daoist concepts of essence.

7. Limetrix

Limetrix Follower of the dao of laziness

Reading List:
    Link
    Its inheritance cycle and wasn't that mind magic?

8. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, there is something similar that they have, with the radar scan and everything else, they use it mainly to notice what the enemy will do in battle.

its kinda similar to Jean Grey, Xavier powers too, right? like they can scan a place, can pick things up, can control others ppl with weak mind, pretty much the same thing.

9. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Hitman-Gorilla13

Hitman-Gorilla13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you secretly smoke pot in a catholic boys hostel and your looking out for snitches and wardens and not miss out on any single movement sounds..that's divine sense

11. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    get shot mate :blobxd:

12. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    When you use drugs, some senses become more sensitive... or overload if you will and when that happens, you feel this otherworldly experience unlike anything you're used to, euphoria.
    So the origin of 'divine sense' is the origin of the first drug users.

The hebrew that talked with the burning bush... divine sense.
    The shaman smoking the peace pipe in order to receive visions from the spirits... divine sense.
    Egyptian priests using incense and other exotic scents to commune with the gods... divine sense.
    South american tribal priests sacrificing hundreds of slaves all day, every day while inhaling blood fumes under the scorching sun in order to appease the gods... divine sense.
    Asian philosophers, shamans, priests and whatever else smoking and snacking on opiates on a daily basis... divine sense.

Get high and you'll find a few moments of enlightenment. Besides that, imagination is key. Those with vivid imagination can conjure up a lot of unlikely or impossible scenarios, basing many on a 'what if' premise.

Ignus likes this.
  13. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Its in every culture.
    6th sense
    Precog
    The druids had seers/magic/connection to the spirit world. Egyptians had their spiritualists. Romans had religious leaders who smoked old school weed.

It's something that we all have in us, it just depends on how sensitive you are to it.
    Animals know an earthquake before it happens.
    They sense a predator after them, like a herd of deer, the one that gets the most nervous tends to be the one taken down by wolves.

I knew when my Grandma passed.
    I sensed danger when a hawk dive bombed me and didn't realize it until it swooped away.

Our forefathers were more in tune with nature, and that lead to the rise of imagination, magic, stories and tales.

14. totmes

totmes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Divine sense has nothing to do with sixth sense!
    It is more like extension of consciousness whereby what is extended is a part (concept of) soul. Whereas that enable you to extend your senses outward.

However mostly common is that you need POWERFUL soul enough to extend outside the body while insideyourself is easy and lead to higher sensitivity.
    Also The basis concept of FORMING Divine sense in most (CN) novels should be EMBEDDING Qi with that said soul//consciousness.

As for escalations: there are 2 things to separate
    a) How greater/bigger the soul, the greater distance can it cover
    b) How stronger the consciousness, the greater influence it exerts on the surroundings...

Now take b) as example til... so a domain is formed etc.

salox likes this.
  15. salox

salox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. It wasn't the "Sense" part of divine sense that bugged me because every culture has something similar. I mean hell spiderman has is spidey sense. It was all he other stuff that can be done with this "sense." What you said makes sense though and explains why it is a more popular phenomena in the CN's than in other novels or books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.