FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Aicila, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have a question that you can't find an answer for, you can ask in this thread. Please ask as it's a good way to continue to build the FAQ. Firstly:
    • 1 message (+wait 30 minutes) OR wait a day to be able to create threads.
    • 5 messages to unlock links/images.
    • 100 messages to unlock custom titles, extra conversation features and you'll be able to use the "Upload a file" for threads.
    1. FORUM ACCOUNT
    1.1 How do I get a custom title?
    1.2 I'm posting, but my message count isn't rising?
    1.3 What about likes from profile posts/community games threads?
    1.4 Can I change my time zone?
    1.5 What does the follow function on the forum do?
    1.6 I am a member of a translation group and would like a medal for my forum account.
    1.7 How can I earn 'money' and what does it do?
    1.8 Can I use 24 hour time on the forum?

2. FORUM USE
    2.1 Where are the forum rules/terms and conditions?
    2.2 Why can’t I embed images, create threads, or create hyperlinks? I'm getting a spam message?
    2.2.1 Why can't I upload files from my pc/phone?
    2.3 Is there a list of the Smilies, BB Codes, and/or Trophies available?
    2.4 Can my thread be deleted?
    2.5 How do I use the spoiler function on the forum?
    2.6 How do I use the multi-quote (+quote) function?
    2.7 My thread got hi-jacked and ended up off topic, can this be fixed?
    2.8 I made a latest chapter discussion thread for a novel. Can it be linked to the NovelUpdates main page?
    2.9 What do I do if I have seen that people are abusing the like system?
    2.10 The translations of ’Novel X’ have stopped. Can I ask for a replacement?
    2.11 Can someone pick up ’Novel X’?
    2.12 The translations of ’Novel X’ are very slow. Can I ask someone else to assist with the translation?
    2.14 I can volunteer as an editor/proofreader!
    2.15 I can’t remember the name of a novel I’m looking for?
    2.16 Is it possible to add a chat function to the site?
    2.17 Where can I report issues or problems with the forum?
    2.18 What are (forum) tags and why should I use them?
    2.19 When is it appropriate to use the report button?
    2.20 What is the blog and how do I use it?
    2.21 How many times/how frequently am I allowed to bump a request thread?

3. NOVELUPDATES (MAIN SITE) USE
    3.1 I need help with my reading list!
    3.2 How does Novel Updates work? How are releases added?
    3.3 How do I add releases to the main site?
    3.4 I added a release but it's not showing up.
    3.5 I’m looking for help on how some of the basic features of the NovelUpdates site work
    3.6 I'm a translator, how do I add my group to your site?
    3.7 I'm a translator, how do I make sure my releases gets automatically approved by the website?
    3.8 I wrote a review of a novel, why hasn’t it shown up in either my statistics or latest activities?
    3.9 Why was my review deleted/rejected?
    3.10 Does NovelUpdates plan on adding EN/original story updates to the main site?
    3.11 I made a latest chapter discussion thread for a novel. Can it be linked to the NovelUpdates main page?
    3.12 I’ve found something wrong with the site.
    3.14 Is it possible to see the RSS feed for my own reading list?
    3.15 Can I hide specific releases from the main page?
    3.16 What is my 'rank' on NU and how is it calculated?
    3.17 How can I ignore certain groups on the main page?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
    zeus, TRUESTARfan, SylAngel and 27 others like this.
  2. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    1.1 How do I get a custom title?
    You need to have 100 messages on your profile before you can write a custom title under ’Personal Details’. Don't worry if you reach 100 messages and the option doesn't become available immediately, the script updates every 30 minutes.

1.2 I'm posting, but my message count isn't rising?
    Profile posts and posts in the community games section of the forum will not add to your post count.

1.3 What about likes from profile posts/community games threads?
    If your post is liked, the likes received count will rise.

1.4 Can I Change My Timezone?
    Change it here:
    [​IMG]
    1.5 What does the follow function on the forum do?
    If you follow someone, it will show you when they are online, above the ’online members’. It will not add notifications if/when they post. The activities of the people you follow will also show up in your News Feed.
    1.6 I am a member of a translation group and would like a medal for my forum account.
    Follow the steps that are listed here. The requirement to get this medal is you as a translator or editor must have translated/edited at least 15 chapters (or 22500 words).
    1.7 How can I earn 'money' and what does it do?
    You can earn $25 for a new thread and $5 for a new post over 50 characters. A post over 50 characters in the 'Novels' section of the forum will also net you $25. More information here. You can spend your money at the shop.
    1.8 Can I use 24 hour time on the forum?
    Preferences -> Language -> English (UK) will change the forum to 24 hr time.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    zeus, Nahrenne, Trent and 11 others like this.
  3. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    2.1 Where are the forum rules/terms and conditions?
    You can find the Terms & Conditions along with other information at the Help Section. You can find the forum rules and guidelines at this link.​

2.2 Why can't I embed images, create threads, or post links? I'm getting a spam message?
    You need 5 messages on your account before you can post links or images. You cannot start a thread containing a link/image if you have < 5 messages. Remember that profile posts and posts in the community games section will not count.
    2.2.1 Why can't I upload files from my pc/phone?
    You need 100 messages on your account.

2.3 Is there a list of the Smilies, BB Codes, and/or Trophies available?

Yes, you can also find these at the Help Section.

2.4 Can my thread be deleted?
    You can ask for it to be locked, but it will not be deleted.​

2.5 How do I use the spoiler function on the forum?
    The easiest way to add a spoiler to your post is to select the spoiler option from the insert menu, circled in red here:
    [​IMG]
    Highlight the text that you wish to be hidden under the spoiler, then select the spoiler option from the insert menu. You will be prompted to add a title which is what everyone will see on the spoiler tag. The BBCode for creating a spoiler on the forum is in the BBCode area of the help section if you want to do it manually.​

2.6 How do I use the multi-quote (+quote) function?
    Multi-quote allows you to easily quote multiple messages over different pages/threads. First, add the quotes to the queue by clicking the +quote button (next to reply) for each message you would like to respond to. Once you're done adding multiple quotes, click on the 'Insert Quotes...' button underneath the reply box where you write. You can then order the quotes before adding them to the message.​

2.7 My thread got hi-jacked and ended up off topic, can this be fixed?
    If you don’t want your thread to end up off topic, please use a serious tag. If the thread still goes off topic after you have used a serious tag, contact a moderator who can remove the posts in question.​

2.8 I made a latest chapter discussion thread for a novel. Can it be linked to the NovelUpdates main page?
    Make your forum thread (please follow the guidelines) before posting the link to your latest chapter discussion (and the name of the novel) in this thread.​

2.9 What do I do if I have seen that people are abusing the like system?
    Report it to the moderators and the like count will be reset.​

2.10 The translations of ’Novel X’ have stopped. Can I ask for a replacement?
    If the translator has declared that the novel has been dropped, yes. If there has been no such declaration from the translator, the project is not considered dead until 3 months have passed. Then it is possible to ask for a replacement.

If you are planning to ask for a translator, please use the Novel Pickup Request. Please make sure you follow the example template.

2.11 Can someone pick up ’Novel X’?
    If you have a request, follow the stickied example in this forum: Novel Pickup Request.

2.12 The translations of ’Novel X’ are very slow. Can I ask someone else to assist with the translation?
    This is completely at the discretion of the current translator. If the current translator wants assistance, they will ask for it.​

2.14 I can volunteer as an editor/proofreader!
    You can try the Translator’s Corner, but it’s potentially easier to either wait for translators to ask for editors themselves, or message them yourself directly.​

2.15 I can’t remember the name of a novel I’m looking for?
    Post here: I'm Looking For...

2.16 Is it possible to add a chat function to the site?
    No. You are welcome to create your own and invite other users to join, but this will not be provided.​

2.17 Where can I report issues or problems with the forum?
    2.18 What are (forum) tags and why should I use them?
    Forum tags are useful because they make it easier for people to find your thread with the search function. There is a specific search function for tags which will enable you to find threads. Remember to spell your tags correctly (for instance recommendation or recommend) and try to tag novels with multiple tags (like RTW + Release that Witch).

If you click on a tag at the top of a thread, it will show you threads with the same tag. You can use this to find similar threads.
    2.19 When is it appropriate to use the report button?
    The report button can be used to notify the mods of issues that need to be resolved. It is not necessarily simply for reporting a breach in the rules. Use the report button instead of summoning moderators to the thread with the @ function. Misuse of the report button and reporting your own posts will result in warning points. Consider using the report button when:
    - The general forum rules are broken (nsfw, illegal, hate content etc).
    - Threads are posted in the wrong place.
    - A thread is spam and needs to be locked/deleted.
    - Any other situations when you feel a mod is needed.
    2.20 What is the blog and how do I use it?
    The forum has it's own blog system, found here. If you feel that there is something you want to talk about but don't want to make a thread, you can do it here. You can browse the latest blogs on the main page via the widget next to profile posts. More information on updates and progress on the feature can be found here.
    2.21 How many times/how frequently am I allowed to bump a request thread?
    Once a week.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
    zeus, Trent and SylAngel like this.
  4. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    3.1 I need help with my reading list!

3.2 How does Novel Updates work? How are releases added?

Novel Updates checks RSS feeds from groups every five minutes for new releases and adds them. It's on a five minute timer but it takes 1+ minute to download and process the data. The releases are automatically approved by the website. There are times when the RSS software is not sure if it's a release or group news so those releases need to be approved by a moderator before appearing on Novel Updates. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. More detailed information is here.

Older/Missing releases are added by users using http://www.novelupdates.com/add-release

3.3 How do I add releases to the main site?

3.4 I added a release but it's not showing up.
    First, you should wait 24 hours. All submitted releases need to be approved by a moderator. If it doesn't show up by then, it must have been rejected. The most common reason for release rejection is linking to the table of contents page. For example, if you try to submit "c1-20" and link to the tables of contents page, it will be rejected.​

3.5 I’m looking for help on how some of the basic features of the NovelUpdates site work

You can check @brianf ’s guide: How to Use Novel Updates Basic Features, although some parts are outdated. The most comprehensive and recent guide to the reading list features is the Reading List Tutorial.​

3.6 I'm a translator, how do I add my group to your site?
    Please use the Add Group form. Make sure that your releases are shown in your RSS feeds. If you need more details, check here.​

3.7 I'm a translator, how do I make sure my releases gets automatically approved by the website?
    Please tag your posts correctly. For example, let's say you are translating "Peerless Martial God". You should create a category "Peerless Martial God" or "PMG" for your releases.

Alternatively, you can also add "PMG" or "Peerless Martial God" to the title of your posts. Example: "PMG Chapter 1", "PMG V1C1", "PMG c1", "Peerless Martial God Volume 1 Chapter 1", "Peerless Martial God Chapter 1 Part 1", etc..

You can either put your releases in a category or add it to your title. You are also free to do both. Just make sure you do at least one of them.

You can find extra details about the process here.​

3.8 I wrote a review of a novel, why hasn’t it shown up in either my statistics or latest activities?
    Reviews need to be approved before they are added. Once it has been approved, it will appear in both the statistics and latest activities.​

3.9 Why was my review deleted/rejected?
    There are two common reasons for a review to be deleted. The first is that the review is a one-liner (it’s good, it’s bad) without actually giving any reasons as to why this is the case. The second is that the review isn’t a review and is instead formatted as a discussion.​

3.10 Does NovelUpdates plan on adding EN/Original story updates to the main site?

No.​

3.11 I made a latest chapter discussion thread for a novel. Can it be linked to the NovelUpdates main page?
    Make your forum thread (please follow the guidelines) before posting the link to your latest chapter discussion (and the name of the novel) in this thread.
    3.12 I've found something wrong with the site.
    3.14 Is it possible to see the RSS feed for my own reading list?
    Yes. On your reading list page you can find these two RSS icons:
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left (circled in red) is the RSS feed for your current reading list. The one on the right also includes entries from your other lists. In my case, it also includes the Dropped/Hold list.
    3.15 Can I hide specific releases from the main page?
    It is possible to hide specific releases by adding them to a list, and then hiding the list from the main page. From your reading list page, select the list you would like to hide, and then hide it by using List settings > Hide from main release page.
    3.16 What is my 'rank' on NU and how is it calculated?
    3.17 How can I ignore certain groups on the main page?
    Use the release filtering, which you can find here.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    zeus, Trent and SylAngel like this.
  5. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Saving in case I need to add things later.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  6. goodknife

goodknife Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how to hide novels with a specific genre(s) from front page? (i want to see all novels except two or three genres)

7. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi @goodknife , I believe that you're looking for the release filtering, which is covered in the guide on how to use the basic features. It is here.

goodknife likes this.
  8. Takumi168

Takumi168 『Forever Alone Guild』『Boredom sect』『Merchant』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just added a signature and now all signature(mine and others) isn't showing. My settings says show signature.

9. hayyan

hayyan Insipid

Reading List:
    Link
    On phone?

10. Takumi168

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea or does signature bit show up on phone?

11. hayyan

hayyan Insipid

Reading List:
    Link
    Signatures don't show up on phones, you can edit or change it but we can't see them.

12. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, Harem Seeker, Summoner, Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Takumi168

Reading List:
    Link
    K thanks I guess I saw the signatory stuff on my computer then xD

14. BlueShinya

BlueShinya 『Q's Fiancee』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? Whats this?

15. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, Harem Seeker, Summoner, Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it can help you milady~
    Have you touch your name on the top right~ then go to personal details~
    Custom title is there~ then after you done click save at the bottom milady~
    Well time for me to out~ Goodbye then milady~ Wish you have a good day~

16. BlueShinya

BlueShinya 『Q's Fiancee』

Reading List:
    Link
    Kay~
    Thanks @DarknessWolf !

17. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Witch/Ghost-type | Skullie's Pokemon

Reading List:
    Link
    No, if you rotate the phone and make the display into landscape it will show.

It works on my phone. Idk about the others

hayyan likes this.
  18. hayyan

hayyan Insipid

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, didn't knew about it. Interesting.

19. Aeternelle

Aeternelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do I change the "Recommendations" of a novel ? How do I even suggests them ?

20. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #4, [MVP Mod], Final Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is actually nothing you can do.
    you can recommend it to people via NUF