Novel Fate-changing System [female MC]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by ludagad, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Note: I am stressed beyond belief, so I need to distract myself. I'm no writer for sure. I even lack the patience to set a scene. The names are going to be random, even though I'm aiming for a Chinese novel setting.

Synopsis: An Yu transmigrates into a certain novel she's hate-reading as the main character after a talk with a shady old man. She finds herself married to a cold man and her future looks bleak if it follows the novel's plot. Luckily, she has a cheat - a system that gives rewards for each fate she changes, be it by taking lives or saving them. Naturally, An Yu doesn't see a reason to stay around.

Shady old man: If you were the main character, what kind of cheat would you want?
    An Yu: Something that protects my life, lets me kill my enemies quickly, and helps me get rich.
    Shady old man: ......

TOC:
    Chapter 1.1 1.2 1.3

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Alice-sama, LynneSuzuran, Ars and 5 others like this.
  2. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And your point.......?

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm? There's a need for a point? It's just escapism.

4. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see

RizYun likes this.
  5. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read this, but I do want to point something out based on the last line of your synopsis: not sticking around after you've transmigrated is probably the best idea I've seen from a MC and one I've long wondered if any MC would ever do.

How many novels have we seen where the MC's pre-body self is shit on by everyone they know, then the MC migrates in and sticks around? It's usually pointless. Just go off to another country and live happily. If you must come back for revenge, do so after you've become way overpowered or gotten overwhelming support and resources from others. Then return and show off or deal with pre-body self grudges.

I might have to read this now just to see if the MC is smart.

Alice-sama, Einon, RizYun and 4 others like this.
  6. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    lol wasn't sure if you were asking for help, idea's, opinions or just making an announcement :p

oh yes... very smart... just piss off to god knows where, in the middle of god knows where, with not even the strength to either keep yourself alive or escape the pursuit of those who would come looking for you.

either you live a very wealthy life or you have simply never met hardship. even nowadays its hard for people in bad situations to just get up and go somewhere else, its never guaranteed to be better, its not even certain to be safe and there is a likelihood that one would die on the travels. there is a reason families throughout history tend to stay in the same communities for generations.

for the MC to just 'leave' and become successful in a new location with absolutely no foundation or support requires an even greater miracle by word of god than a downtrodden character turning their life around at home where they are at least familiar with how things work.

granted there are certain circumstances in which a transmigrator may want to split, but the majority of the time the smartest and wisest decision would be to stay put, hide that you have changed and watch things play out. where things go from there depend on what kind of story our author wants to tell, but its a solid foundation for countless good and great plot-lines, whether it be family business, romance, kingdom strategy, immortal cultivation etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Alice-sama, Einon, gaulby and 3 others like this.
  7. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it will be hard to leave if you are powerless but if your strong then you can decide your own future.

Einon, Myriadfold and ludagad like this.
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially as a female in a chinese novel setting.

9. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    I go through hell as a writer with OCD and perfectionism to write plots that make sense and interactions that seem believable, then I see comments like that guys pop up that practically denies what it means to be a writer. its one thing to try and avoid clones or cliches but another entirely to think you are smarter than years of tried and tested systems of storytelling.

its like when people see a character get hit and they are all "ha, if that was me the guy would be so dead right now". along comes reality and the same situation plays out and the major difference is that they stand there frozen stunned with mouths gaping like a dead fish. 'omg he actually hit me, wtf do i do now?'

10. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just assume that all chinese female mc's are weak?

11. DreadLord

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially when women are to be prizes to dominated in Chinese novels and when they don't dominated easily they get aggressive about it.

elengee likes this.
  12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Get lost with the automatic being offended feminist attitude. In chinese novels women are seen as objects for young masters, at the start of the novel it'd be a bad idea to go out into areas that are filled with families you don't know.

13. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    we have all seen stories like stunning edge that make the female MC's strong. however its not instant and even still they aren't shortsighted fools, they act only when its necessary.

14. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its just a joke dude

15. DreadLord

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone end up in a CN as women they might need know physical might is not only thing you need. You must have something that protects your mind and soul from external/internal influences like magic and other things that may come your way.

ludagad likes this.
  16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, i'm too used to having these people around lol. It's an automatic reaction by now.

17. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pffft come on we on NUF most things arent serious here

elengee likes this.
  18. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leaving is not hard in most cases. Most people are scared of the unknown, and will stick around through even some of the most horrid of situations. I've seen it a lot. In our present society where information is everywhere about everything and everyone, it's going to be hard to hide and start over. In less advanced societies, all it'd take is to sign on as a gopher to a merchant caravan leaving the city after doing research about reputable ones and all other related details.

I'm not saying that every MC should leave. However, if the person didn't transmigrate or reincarnate into conditions where they have a chance at life (someone is actively plotting their death and/or removing all means of gathering resources to support themselves), they should.

Certainly, if someone found themselves in a sect/clan/family where there are resources being given to them such as training for learning merchanting, cultivation, etc. then they should stick around. Such ties would be hard-pressed to find in other locations without luck or connections.

The other types of MC that should probably leave on their own (once information gathering is over, or if they stand to gain regular resources and skills) are those who have systems, good grandfathers/teachers, independent spaces, etc. that give them all of the resources to grow and learn without using those from their sects, clans, or families. What's the point in subjecting yourself to abuse when you're providing everything you need anyway? You might as well just be independent anyway somewhere else.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. But it just seems like there's been a number of of easy-plot device novels being translated where the MC sticks around in pointless places or joins clans and sects because it's something to do and never really uses the resources while taking abuse. Why, if you've got a cheat that provides everything already would you do that? There's plenty of places you could be getting human interaction while you're leveling up that provide information about the world you've found yourself in.

Alice-sama and ludagad like this.
  19. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    in counter to that, why do people in many of these stories despite coming from educated backgrounds choose to join "adventure guilds" when they travel worlds. often, its the only concept in the new world they understand even if they don't fully agree with it, they are also usually alone with no attachments or commitments that must be upheld.

now lets be quite realistic, if the body the MC inherits was in a pretty good situation with a supportive family and no immediate issues: 1)they would have no reason to leave 2)there would not be a story for us readers to enjoy.

in addition, more than half the time the MC ends up in the body of someone who has family, whose memories then get shared with the MC so they "experienced" it too. old debts and promises are upheld as a token of gratitude or respect to the original occupier of the body if not for any other reason. in these cases the mc sticks around because to honour the debt is complicated and requires time, planning and most importantly, being present. also there are plenty enough of stories where the MC goes of and does his own thing regardless, they just don't get picked up for translation, likely cause it wasn't popular in the first place or there simply wasn't a translation group who thought it was worth picking up. the fact it seems rare to use in the west is merely a statement about the quality of such a story if we cannot expect to see more of them appearing in the NU feed.

if you really think the MC should leave, then write the story. if it becomes extremely popular then it is statement enough to your PoV. just don't think that because you can argue for it easily, that its just as easy to write about. there's also the question of how many people are actually looking for that as a key component of their stories. I myself look for specific concepts and content, not how the character happened to start their tale.

20. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have read this one if the MC isn't a female .