Feature Request Feature Request - Link color on dark theme?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Qt, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it possible to either customize it or bolded it?

I don't know about others, but to me, dark red on grey made the font hard to read when it is not thick enough. Well... Flat awesome dark doesn't offer customization on font size and other than link, everything is readable to me.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be lazy. Get Stylish or another browser extension that allows you to change css and make your own change if you're not satisfied.

For example:
    1. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
    2. Install.
    3. Click the stylish icon in the icon bar.
    4. Choose: Write new style > For forum.novelupdates.com...
    5. Paste this underneath the starting code:
    Code:
    a:link,
    a:visited
    {
        color: orangered;
    text-decoration: none;

}

5. Name the style (e.g.: NU's link color).
    6. Save.

Now you've got almost eye-hurting orange links. You're welcome.

You can change the color to whatever you'd like.

~~~Edit~~~

This won't change ALL links on the forums. Some of the links have colors defined separately, so you'd have to add more corresponding css changes in your userstyle.

~~~Edit2~~~

If you want to use a specific color, you'll need to know its corresponding html number or rgb palette and replace the color name in the code with those.
    Example: orangered => #F34500 => rgb(243, 69, 0)
    And remember to keep the semicolon at the end of the line.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    runsing likes this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    "Don't be lazy, use an outside source that is complicated to handle and you would have never thought of if it wasn't for someone telling you."

Dunno... Feels like the request is a valid one.

Aiiee, blee8 and runsing like this.
  4. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah basically everyone's only complain of Flat Awesome Black

not an old complaint but it's never been handled..
    @Tony mentioned before about wanting to add themes
    But we got the new conversation thing, the money thing, black jack, etc etc for NUF already I think the more / better themes plan has been.. well, forgotten..

runsing, Bielt and AliceShiki like this.
  5. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Stylish is a very popular extension. I've seen it mentioned many times in many places over the years. I've never used it though.
    I've no css knowledge, yet it took me maybe a few minutes from reading the thread to posting the reply. Most of the time went to finding the correct color palette, since the original NU code used the rgb version.

I think the Dark theme was intended mainly to ease the eyestrain when viewing NU in the dark/at night. Having brighter links would be counterproductive. Current link color might only be slightly harder to read during the day. The default theme is meant for viewing forum during the day.

runsing likes this.
  6. Bielt

Bielt 『Planets Eater』『The Sin of Animosity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I think @Tony is giving priority to add new functions, and fixing things before adding more themes~

But i would love to see more themes~!

I still want a theme with the rolling Pyoo as back ground~ XD

[​IMG]

Nom de Plume and AliceShiki like this.
  7. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why red though? why not use the same colors as the dark theme in NU?

I think so too. I wouldn't have known either. How would I even do that in Safari?

Sorry, Im kinda new here but seems like its only @Tony who's doing the "tech" stuff? or maybe there are others bts? Perhaps somebody can volunteer to help him/them? I would if I could but I wouldn't know how. Maybe @Ral ???

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony is the owner and main programmer of NU/NUF.

I think one or two of the mods also does programming, but 90%+ of everything on NU was made solely by Tony, NUF was bought from xenforo, and receives no real development, except small things on Tony's free time, since he spends that time in developing NU instead.

If someone makes a script to make things easier for others, they are free to post it on the "Tutorial and Resources" subforum, but the official things are basically done by Tony.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ah I see, they're separate entities. Gosh, I've been using the sites and didn't even know the difference nor the owner. Hats off to @Tony and team. Thanks for making my life so much easier! If there's anything I can do, please let me know!

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not red? I actually like the forum's dark theme better than main page's.
    The same way. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stylish+for+safari or go straight here

~~

Creating a new theme from scratch would take a lot of work, so it's unlikely to happen.
    Adding more themes would require either getting some of the free themes available at xenforo.com (Flat Awesome Dark is the only Dark free theme that's been updated since 2015, well there is another one, but it's by the same author and it's mostly the same) or buying one of the themes. Unfortunately, you can usually only have support for that theme for a single year and need to pay again in the future if you need help with it. And it's not like the paid-for themes are better that Flat Awesome Dark. From what I can see, perhaps one or two of them have potential, but they're not specifically better.

As for changing colors in Flat Awesome Dark itself, from what I saw at xenforo.com, the theme's author made several color palettes for the theme, so it should be easy to replace red with gray or blue. I'm not sure if they'd look better though.

You can always make a poll about changing the color palette. If a choice wins by a huge margin, perhaps @Tony will agree to change it.

blee8 likes this.
  11. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for explaining it to me. Let me edit my statement above. Why only in red? I find it hard to read. I don't think there's a need to purchase another theme. If the theme's author made several color palettes for this theme, i don't know how it goes but is it possible to give the readers the option to choose? I know there's a lot that takes priority over this but just putting it out there...

12. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony is the only programmer for both. Quite a few mods can program, but that is coincidence. We only moderate. Tony built NU (I think it's at least partially based through wordpress?) while NUF is sort of rented from Xenforo with a few minor tweaks and extra plugins he's purchased/installed.

blee8 and AliceShiki like this.
  13. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ral
    hi! I know its been a while. I've actually forgotten about this. I wasn't really using the forum much back then so I didn't really care but now that I'm using it more I wanted to use the dark theme. I have installed Stylish and added the style as you've instructed.

[​IMG]

but the color of the links did not change and it says "No styles...":

[​IMG]

I did save the style and refreshed my browser so I don't know what went wrong.

I was gonna summon my godson.... but nah~
    Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

14. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I gave up long ago... now I'm used to seeing the forums on light theme :sob:

15. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try removing the "http://" from the url (http://forum.novelupdates.com). It should just be forum.novelupdates.com

16. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall not give up!!! lol
    Thanks but it still did not work and I still see the same msg "No styles for this page..." when I click the S icon even though I have already saved the style.
    [​IMG]

I even restarted my computer :(

Tony likes this.
  17. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    From this screenshot:

Sorry forgot to also ask you to change "URL" to "Domain" from the drop down "Applies to:" list. That should fix it

it should look like this:

1.jpg

18. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it works! Thanks my dear godson!
    I might have to change the color, orangered is not working for me.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that orange is too strong. How about this one... can you delete everything in the CSS area and add this instead:

Code:
    .nodeList .categoryStrip, .widget-tabs .tabs li.active a, .widget-tabs .tabs.noLinks li.active,.discussionList .sectionHeaders,.PageNav a.currentPage,.message .newIndicator {
        background-color: rgb(192, 95, 38) !important;
    }

.secondaryContent a, .fa, .ugc a:link, .ugc a:visited,#DiscussionListOptionsHandle a,.messageUserBlock a.username,.bbCodeQuote .quoteContainer .quoteExpand.quoteCut {
        color: rgb(192, 95, 38);
    }

Rather than making ALL Links a certain color, it's better to only make some of the links the color you want.

20. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not too fond of orange either but I'll play around with it. Thanks so much!