LCD Forty Millenniums of Cultivation

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Saint, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the latest development paves a somewhat good "foundation" for our MC to thrive.

He's got nothing to lose, he's literally starting from ground up. It sucks that old Mo passed away, or else I can already see how our MC + Old Mo, they're gonna "simplify" everything and then throw it back at the "elites".

From here, I'm curious how would the author continue the story. The "definitions" are there, the "goals" are there, now its just the story. After all, now there's a setup of two very distinct ideologies.

Just like how the Russians vs Americans (on how they do their things). I am enthralled, if I may use that word.

After all what are the means to do it?
    (The Russian vs American tech wars are a really funny story from a third party perspective like me, if you want a taste of it go read "Uchyuu Kyoudai / Space Brothers).

Just an example of how hillarious things can be:
    Eye cornea operation:
    USA: We'll take a laser, lots of high tech, we'll thin out the cornea, done deal.
    Russian: Let's slice it in 8 cuts (like numbers round a clockface), let it expand and retract easier. done.

Writing in space. (with a pen)
    USA: We've made it! It'll cost USD20,000, but it'll write in space!
    Russians: Erm, comrade, can you lend me a pencil?

These are just some examples, but I do hope the author will entertain with the difference in the ideologies.

2. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the pen and pencil thing but both options for the cornea feels really unsafe to me.

3. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its just an example how the Americans and Russians look at approaching the issue.

The Americans are very guided. The Russians however prefer a "can we get there using another method that is practical and cheap". Both have pros and cons.

4. sketchn98

sketchn98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a myth. The pressurized pens cost $3 a piece. http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

5. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only way this could be surprising is if a large number of them decided to stay. Honestly, I'll be mildly surprised if even one of them besides the MC decides to stay since they haven't bothered to give anyone else a name yet that isn't clamoring for the chance to leave.

That said, I kinda wish the author would speed things up. Forgone conclusions aren't really interesting, especially when you know those conclusions are the result of the MC making stupid decisions. Though, in his defense, they sent the absolute wrong person to recruit him.

6. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Engineers and front line fighters should cater to completely different people, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people decided to stay.

Your source directly says "Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965", so in that sense it is confirmed - not busted.
    I also heard that anecdote with a continuation "after that NASA marketed the space pen for everyday use, and thus earned the development costs many times over, producing a hefty profit".

7. Trent

Trent ☕ Ursine Tea Zealot ☕

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll be nice if the MC's the only student to remain. He won't have to waste time trying to get the other students to do their parts well, and the rewards for the tiny department's achievements won't be spread out among hangers-on. It can just be him and Yuan Manqiu, a formidable professor-and-student pair who build the Refining Department's legend on their own. It won't cost as much to pay for two people's research requirements either; in fact, Li Yao might be able to earn the money and reagents needed by going out into the Wasteland and harvesting materials from the demons he kills, thereby cultivating and tempering himself as well. The costs of research would be all the motivation he needs to go after stronger and more valuable demons.

Rule71 and sketchn98 like this.
  8. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link
    The idea still stands.

The russians just went with another option on the spot, whilst the Americans spent money to develop a tool for a specific purpose to be used at a spesific moment.

9. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand the dramatic reasons for it, but from a character perspective, why is the MC taking so long to step forward and state that he'll be staying? Is he a sadist that likes to watch a recently widowed woman have her last dream crushed by the ungrateful masses that she'd pinned her last hopes one, while secure in the knowledge that he could stop if if he just took a few steps forward and spoke two words? Is he power tripping right now? Is that why he's being such an unconscionable d**k? 'Cause I know he's not shy, and that's pretty much the only legitimate reason to behave like that.

I wonder if its like a doctorate and you have create an original research project/artifact of substinative value. If so, then that will be a fairly low bar for someone with as many advantages as he has.

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it would just be the professor trapped in the suit, but it looks like it might be a fairly large chunk of the department. Since finding them and making them spectral cultivators might save the department though, I expect that that won't happen until after he passes the exam next year.

It makes no sense for the people in the refining department to get their credits through combat instead of refining, so hopefully the amount gained through trading is substantially higher than what can be gained through combat, by design (for his department at least). After all, if they have to waste all their time fighting each other, then when would they have the time to improve their abilities as refiners?

Assuming that the spectral cultivators won't count as part of the department due to having to go off and learn spectral cultivation, I wonder how the department will attract another student for next year? After all, if he becomes an official refiner, I doubt he'll still count as a student, and regardless of whether or not he passes, there's no point in a department with no students.

11. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    Where is my chapter? :(

12. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been almost a week .... :(

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't stress about it too much. The chapter wasn't really worth waiting for.

14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would it matter that a lot of women took the course too? I thought all the basic courses were done solo. Or am I misremembering?

"can emit inexhaustible light and heat in an instant" I think someone needs to explain to the translator what "inexhaustible" means.

Why would it take him 3-5 days when it takes normal students that long? Aren't the vast majority of normal freshmen non-cultivators? Doesn't becoming a cultivator instantly raise your comprehension abilities? Heck, I don't even think the school would allow them to have that much info dumped in their brains at once for fear of causing them to explode. There's no reason why something that takes an average student 1-2 years should take him anywhere close to that long, even without the author bending over backwards to employ plot armor to speed up his progress. Honestly, just the fact that he's a cultivator should already put him in the top one hundred freshmen, and if the way the author was talking about it before has any meaning, he should actually be in ranked much higher.

So, there's an equipment that screws with his mind, and he's just going to use it without checking what the downsides, drawbacks and constraints are? The MC is an idiot.

15. Trent

Trent ☕ Ursine Tea Zealot ☕

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point. Might be because the students can talk about the course with each other. Or the department involved offered incentives to its students to bring in lots of students, since popular classes would bring in more recognition and funding, and the guys employed this strategy. Or the author forgot.
    Hyperbole. It's pretty common in the genre.
    The MC's above average, certainly. But there are many older students who are cultivators as well, and some of them should still be taking basic classes. It's possible that even the "1 year for 1000 credits" takes into account freshmen becoming cultivators midway through the year, and using their increased computational abilities to speed up their progress to do it that quickly. Also, some people go down the specialized thinking path of noncombatant cultivators (-_- well, whatever the term was), and can be mentally stronger than higher-leveled combatant cultivators.

But yeah, I think this too.
    "Hot-blooded," you mean :D. Look at the school and department he picked. He's not supposed to be much of a thinker, but more of an artifact savant. Hey, enjoy the embarrassment to come~

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think older students would qualify for the contest.

Also, 1yr = 1000 credits requires you to process 1 class every 3-5 days according to the author's math (which I haven't checked), which means that it assumes that everyone in the freshman class is a cultivator. Either that, or he's really really stupid, which, while it would certainly be a novel route for an author to take, is very unlikely. I think the author just forgot his own setting.

17. Someguy666

Reading List:
    Link
    So he's complaining about having more time to study?:rolleyes:

18. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why the university has not actually scoured the blast site to look for the souls of the departed?

Granted that broken piece of armor shone for a bit (as a some sort of foreshadowing that there is something unique about the armor), but why didn't they do it?

Or they did and found nothing?

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If everyone is supposed to experience deviation after at most 30 minutes, then why aren't the cabins set up to expel you after 30 minutes, whether you ask it to or not? Or better yet, set to expel you when your brain is super-charged above 300%?

20. Someguy666

Reading List:
    Link
    Ultra-macho culture. Also everyone is supposed to learn their own limits of their bodies like gym bunnies. Those who are too stupid and over-train deserve to be injured to learn common sense the hard way.