LCD Forty Millenniums of Cultivation

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Saint, Dec 20, 2016.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you kinda remind me with those who complaint about term used on WoC~ personally I don't feel it ruin my reading experience~ sure if it changed suddenly I like ze tian ji case need to think what is what but that's all~

2. DeathStroke96

DeathStroke96 『President of Sindria Trading Co.』『Uncle』『GOD』

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with WoC it was like that from the beginning with the same translator so no matter how much complaints there was she didn't care so it didn't matter that much as well as all of those terms were in pinyin but here most of the cultivation terms will be in English but yuanying is the exception were it to be changed to nascent or origin the entire cultivation system would be in English

3. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked Artificer. I wonder why they felt the need to change it.

strixflash, Rule71 and mrttao like this.
  4. ashish50990

ashish50990 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys,
    As everyone brought to my notice about artificer and refiner, I'll talk to the editor about artificer or refiner, which to keep. As for demon and fiend changing, there are three types of race which generally pops up in xianxia, 妖, 魔 and 人. Mostly I differentiate the three races with demon, devil and humans, the previous translator has use fiend which for all purposes for me is demon and devil both, so I find it uncomfortable while translating it to fiend. Demon are those which cultivates starting from beasts/monsters/animals, many translators either use magical beast/monster or fiend beasts like previous translator and demon beast is also used, and devil are those like which are ruthless to the core, whose cultivation is forbidden by human cultivators, either they use mass slaughtering to advance their cultivation or some of their techniques are not accepted by righteous cultivators. Humans I don't need to tell about. So in this novel both demon and devil are two different which will appear in later part of the novel, so to differentiate both and for a little convenience of my own I've changed it to demon beasts, every change will be done to previous chapters too.
    And the yuanying or nascent soul, so I was not aware of the English term widely accepted by the readers, so I will change that too.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

5. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason many translators use magical beast for beast/monster/animal that cultivates is because the word demon is specifically the christian depiction of fallen angels that follow satan.

When primitive and evangelical english speaking christians first heard about the mythological magical beasts and spirits of asian nations they imperiously labeled them as "demons" who are deceiving those "poor deluded pagans who do not know that there is only one true god", and somehow this malicious naming scheme stuck. Probably because the english language doesn't actually have a word for such beings in the first place

While the english word demon stems from greek word daimon, and it is absolutely true that the greek word has no evil and christian connotation. We are talking about translating into english not translating into ancient greek. In english a demon is a christian mythological creature, which is a fallen angel that lives in hell

Also, fiend beasts is also a bad term because fiend is also specifically a word for great evil. Devil, fiend, and demon all specifically refer to evil spirits in english.

Spirit is a neutral term that doesn't indicate good or evil though. So spirit beast can work as well, which i have seen some people use

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I can feel the author bending over backwards to justify the decision to go to BBU. I just have a hard time imagining the series not becoming a generic mess if he does. Not to mention the fact that it would still be a betrayal of his promise and of his dreams, regardless of how Fiend Blade sugar coats it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    asriu likes this.
  7. Rakiin

Rakiin Pokemon Slave Trader

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to start this novel... but 2 chapter per week, there are ~1800 chapters right now
    18 years just to catch up x_x

Or should I still read the 83 chapters? ...

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would he be so impressed by that display? He's lived the memories of someone who has far surpassed Fiend Blade and was surrounded by people better than Fiend Blade almost his entire life. There's nothing he was just shown that he shouldn't remember having seen millions of times before. Even with the fragmented nature of the memories at the moment, he'd still have seen it at least hundreds of times. That sect didn't believe in coddling its disciples after all.

9. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's his level given his age? The memories showed basic training that lasted decades through manual labour after all, mordern cultivators have the advantage of sports science.

10. ashish50990

ashish50990 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I too was a little baffled by that point. I mean he was Ou Yezi himself. Or maybe just maybe (I don't think that's possible) but maybe he had never seen other high-level cultivators in his memories or Ou Yezi had never displayed his cultivation power to anyone, just forging and forging all his life. Hahahaha, and that's too impossible. Or as most of his memories were vague he can't remember most of it, or seeing with own eyes was altogether different thing.

Oh how could I forget the most important thing, Peng Hai is Super Saiyan.
    [​IMG]

mrttao, WolverineM and Rule71 like this.
  11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought it was emphasized many times that living in the memories was indistinguishable from reality. Also, Ou Yezi participated in numerous wars, so he definitely saw people going all out.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Initially, I thought the principal was doing it for the reputation boost. I guess I was underestimating his generosity, or the level of influence the old man had with him. I hope he benefits greatly from having such a genius "graduate" from his school.

I wonder why the registration process is so streamlined if you're part of a school. Its not like they do those examinations themselves. Are they just trying to keep out the poor kids who couldn't get into a school?

13. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Will the translation rate be increased in future? I saw a note on Qidian regarding that but now it's not available so I'm asking.

Thanks

14. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha! The Principal is screaming hahaha! That line at the end just cracked me up so much!

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    he experience old man life but IDK is author forget or he also forget about such memory~ he need to refine memory after all~
    who knows~ bureaucracy is troublesome after all~ kinda remind me with how usually some sect test spiritual root or something like that~
    this series just make it more complicated~

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I really wish he wouldn't keep insisting that everyone gave up on him. Only his high school gave up on him. Him deluding himself into believing otherwise is just going to lead him to make some truly stupid decisions.

mrttao likes this.
  17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even there, the highschool didn't kick him out, they sent him to fully paid rehab with a promise to take him back if he actually somehow beats the astronomical odds and magically recovers from being a cripple.

They are honestly absolutely right that a cripple cannot attend, he would literally die from trying to practice there.

And he even deceives the doctors at the hospital into registering him as a cripple... for "reasons"

18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If I remember correctly, it was because he couldn't be bothered to demonstrate his power to them, and was too short sighted to understand how the doctor's misunderstanding would influence his life. Of course, he never remembers that he did that, so naturally, everything must be because the world is out to get him.

Also, I say the school gave up on him because their offer wasn't sincere. I'm sure they would have gone through with it if his results were high enough, but they fully expected him to fail. And while I can't remember their exact phrasing, I sincerely doubt that whatever rehab they offered would have been worth attending.

Though I will agree that the teacher they got to talk to him was being sincere, and simply didn't realize that his superiors weren't.

mrttao likes this.
  19. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In literally the history of humanity ever, there have been 8 instances of someone with his specific type of crippling recovering.
    why would they expect him to succeed?

also, expecting him to fail doesn't make their offer insincere. Not honoring their promise and refusing to accept him back if he succeed would make their offer insincere. The fact they are sure he is a cripple and still are willing to pay for rehab to TRY to cure him is them going above and beyond
    IIRC it was the most expensive rehab clinic in the city

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don't remember. I just remember their attitudes when he wasn't around. The general consensus was that he was trash and should be treated as such. I assume that the rehab was more about their own images than anything else.