Full dive VR

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by kirara, May 13, 2017.

Tags:
?

Full dive VR released

1. Before 2020

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2021-2025

10.5%
  3. Soon...

8.1%
  4. Nah, it's never gonna happen

15.1%
  5. 2025-2100

45.3%
  6. 2100-2200

20.9%
  1. Blackyy

Blackyy Lurking more Comment less

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if ww3 doesn't happen or military develope it it will take 50-200 years i think

2. Tolena

Tolena 《Virtual Reality Addict》

Reading List:
    Link
    Nahh just dream if its going to happen within 100 years time. Think about it to disrupt brain waves to recieve signals through a machine sending that coded signal through main data base. One delay or disruption can cause a lot.

3 things need to happen for full drive vr to start to be realized irl

1. Some connection line that doesnt get disrupted
    2. Human experiment (which will get turned down by ethics right away, how else are you going to test it, how do you know it is risk free)
    3. Understanding human Psych (we dont even understand a lot about why humans do what they do, No AI will be born in this case there is only quasi AIs around)

Viola likes this.
  3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the Oculus counts as a 0.01

i mean.... you can turn your head to look around... gotta count for something.

Haevrus and Tolena like this.
  4. ultragunner

ultragunner Self-taught Mage

Reading List:
    Link
    But that also underestimates how paranoid and restrictive humans can be. Right now, tech is held by too many different groups that compiling it all together with the needed innovation is almost impossible.

Remember, piecemeal innovations are a boon to those who want to be rich, since it is easier to position themselves to the inevitable profits while a major innovation will start another scramble for the businesses.

5. kirara

kirara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I think I was overestimating with a bit of wanting.

6. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Like they would publicly share the that information/technology to the public. Connecting to people's mind isn't as simple as it's made out to be. More controversies would show up and more rights would be made, etc etc. It's just a mess. And for what? Just so people can get lost in virtual reality which could be used to the advantage of our government or even other foreign governments?

My bad if I sounded rude. Just kinda got ticked off by your comment.

7. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to say really. Once the results of Neuralink are out, and we can see how the brain reacts to digital stimulus we'll be able to see if it's even possible.

8. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Might as well have another war if you want fast technological advancements. But considering the weaponry that nations develop every day and stockpiled. I'd rather not take that chance for another "revolution" to start up from war.

9. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of people have said some good stuff, but I just want to point out that RIGHT NOW some people are freaking out about prosthetics that connect to your neural pathways to move. There's a ton of restrictions for them. Things like who would be responsible if the prosthetic crushed someone's hand when you gave them a handshake. The manufacturers? Software developers? The individual?

Just to be clear these are like prototype's of prototypes.

So I don't see full dive becoming a thing for a long while unless something drastic happens and VR is a viable stopgap or solution itself.

10. congvthc

congvthc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you think the government will allow some random inventor to create develop that kind of technology without doing anything?

11. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt we'll see Full dive VR tech within most of our respective life times but I have full hopes in a tech fusion between VR and Emotiv technology.

Even if I's just sitting in my chair using my mind/brain to move a Virtual body but no sensory feed back I'm still happy. Plus I get the ability to drink and eat while I play so there is sorta an advantage in not having total VR immersion...I guess. Plus no need to use shitty keyboards for those with non-dexterous hands.

If someone were to really advocate for this tech fusion or say a big giant like Microsoft and or Facebook were to look into it, I say we could have it in the next 10 yrs tops. In those 10 years the first 5 years for a prototype & dev kits and first 8 years for initial market release testing for those willing to pay big bucks for a single or limited amount of headsets. That would leave the 9th and 10th year for final stages the general public stage!

Though I haven't looked at any of the vids myself there are videos of consumer level EEG reader and VR setups

kirara likes this.
  12. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm rather annoyed by a SAO reference as being the poster child for the neural interface. This concept has been around since Virtual Light (the novel from William Gibson), and even goes back to Neuromancer (although the neural interface there gave a weird abstraction instead of a real looking environment). Even Matrix would be a better reference. Now get off my lawn!

Now from a technical point, I see two areas that need to develop before this happens. One is input to the brain -last news I remember was that they were able to wire inputs directly to the brain of blind people so they could detect lines or shapes. They can't really see but can detect things in front of them. The other is output from the brain. The Japanese had some MRI tech that could tell what letter you were looking at by looking at by brain activity. My info might be a bit dated.

I actually dabble in VR/AR/MR development although it's not my real job. Currently I'm building a VR trainer for the HTC Vive. It's supposed to train you to be able to shoot a coin tossed into air without aiming down the sights. I started on this project because it's not that practical for me to train this in the real world. You can read about it at http://virtualrealityaugmented.com. I have a more in depth page that goes into much greater detail about the project but it's still very raw considering I scraped it from a ppt I created.

I just preordered the HP version of the new MS mixed reality headset.

13. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This I think depends to what "full dive" you mean... Matrix level where it is super realistic to the point that the real world and the virtual world are indistinguishable from each other... Or something more rudimentary such as just focusing on visual only but have full virtual navigation without having to point and click things...

The full experience of having full tactile sensations is going to be pretty far away... Although, it doesn't necessarily have to be if our full focus was put into it... Such as a gaming company were to takeover projects that are working components to such a experience then sure within the next 20-40 years it would be possible to have a near full dive, except with say taste and smell the rest can probably be done. Full taste and smell sensations would probably be at a later time...

There are projects such as cybernetics which is trying to give feeling to missing limbs and such which can be adapted to giving interface into a VR environment if it is properly translated. There are some things which give very rudimentary feedback sensations and tactile responses.

There are other medical projects that are working to give sensation and feedback responses for ear and optical nervous systems, that give very rudimentary feedback to those who are blind and deaf. They are still far from having a full replacement system but work has been ongoing for years...

I spoke to a friend who talks with a I think small indie project and had a chance to try it, that is being worked on that takes and reads brain activity and is able to allow interaction with a very rudimentary virtual object, with "thought". They attach some type of electrode helm that focuses and reading a portion of your brain. They show you an object and they tell you specifically to think about moving it... It takes about 20-30 minutes to calibrate because it has to learn first and map your signal responses based on the instructions given... After though, a person can then move the object around just be kinda imagining it moving from one part to another. This is about all it can do now... So it is not even close to something like you would find in a VRMMO... But, this was about 3 years ago when I heard about it... I am sure if they are still working on it that they may have moved or is trying to map more things...

If all these projects came together and really focused on VR and was given proper resources for one or two decades... Sure, I think they would be able to give a very close approximation to a "full" dive experience excerpting smell and taste for later... I think they could do it very "soon"... But, on it's own pace of evolution I would say it is still maybe a 50 or 80 years away from a rudimentary prototype(like blockgrid minecraft stuff)...

But would they do it? I don't think at the moment it is good for the bottom line yet, not by a long shot... Also I would say there isn't enough bandwidth and networking technologies that can facilitate VRMMO at a level that would make it ideal. Can you just imagine how much data you have to facilitate... Current MMOs just have to take in keystrokes and such... A VRMMO would have to take positional data and mocap along with it and apply it to a real physics engine in an even more aggressive way then what is being done now... Essentially, what is being done in the movie industry has to be done in real time along with other things such as serving your tactile responses. The servers needed to facilitate the environment...

kirara likes this.
  14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this about SAO again?

15. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Those people who say not gonna happen are severely underestimating mankind. You know, they say a huge chuck of metal can't fly too back then.

16. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    When you are asking about full dive VR, what are you refering? like the one in the novels, or like the actual VR but more advanced? for the first never, the second i think there will need at least 20-30 year minimum...

17. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Some food for thought just from a 2016 article reviewing a paper published by the Uni of Memphis https://thestack.com/world/2016/02/...nteresting-possibilities-for-virtual-reality/

An exert from the later paragraphs of said article:

"In 2013 Chris Zaharia incorporated the Emotiv EPOC into an Oculus Rift-based system which enabled ‘mind control’ of virtual objects and environments, together with hand movements using the Hydra gaming control"

However the Emotiv EPOC seems to have hamstrung VR enthusiasts by confusingly splitting out its consumer-level and ‘research’ headsets, and furnishing a licence agreement that forces the owner to market any apps developed with an EPOC exclusively through the company’s own store – a policy that has come in for criticism from Oculus fans. Any EPOC purchaser who needs raw EEG data has to pay an additional $300 for an individual licence for the headset, whilst educational and company licences add $2600 and $6500, respectively – barriers which make it hard to toy around with the technology with the same low risk as a Raspberry Pi project.

In May of last year researchers at the University of Southern California and Facebook’s Oculus division debuted a method of transferring the facial expression of an Oculus Rift user into an in-game avatar. But if a VR/AR headset actually knew how you feel, this functionality could be folded into a far broader gamut of research and entertainment possibilities.

It seems likely that such an intimate method of gauging response would be of great interest too to focus group research and marketing researchers, who could run far more densely-populated tests, given access to a large commercial user-base equipped with standardised EEG monitoring capabilities.

18. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    It's already done, just not ready for public use. We just need to work out some kinks regarding the reprogramming option.
    Anyone care to beta test? I promise i won't make you do silly, weird or other things you won't like... yet.

19. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depending on how much immersion we want with VR it could be a lot harder than making a vehicle that flys. We could be talking about full immersion which means connecting to the digital world directly to the brain. That can cause brain death if people fk with the human mind the wrong way. This will not happen within 25-50 years probably to be completely safe would be 150 years from now.

20. kirara

kirara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then we can just wish for a VR novel like beginning. A very rich family that has everything in the world with a child suffering and dotes on that child well that do not care about the costs, doesn't care about bottomline and also holds the government. Very wishful thinking.