Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Madness, Mar 19, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    dude !! if you wanna play games , you better buy PC as you can customize 'em to suit current game optimal need..
    or you will need to change your laptop once in 3-5 yrs

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I have seen, only MSI and Alienware make proper gaming laptops (extra ventilation and stuff). Razer makes good looking laptops, but they tend to be worse, and anyway, in recent years Razer quality has gone downhill.

And ffs, people, OP asked about laptops. He may have a reason for that - regular travel because of work, or something. EVERYONE knows that desktop will be cheaper and better, but darn, you can't just lug it around (unless it is another overpriced razer/msi/etc mini-system).

3. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an MSI Apache ge72 and it's capable of running games like Fallout 4 at full settings without a problem. If you just want a gaming computer rather than a laptop you are better off building a desktop with that budget. There's pretty great templates on Reddit that could help you.

4. Plural

Plural Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Madness

Madness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    going to reddit to get more help cuz i still dont really know what i want and need more information

6. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes micro ATX is a small form factor industry standard for small space efficient PCs. they come in defferent sizes and shapes some like a ps4 some like small cubes.

7. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I bought a laptop for college at $1000 (USD), and play games on it in my free time and don't have any processing issues. It has a threaded dual core processor, 16 gigs of RAM, and a 1 gig graphics card. I can play Fallout, GTA, CoD, Skyrim, and everything else I've tried with no problem

8. B.R.

B.R. Member

Reading List:
    Link
    after i read ur question again,, u only use it for steam game right? i think mid tiered laptop gaming is enough for most of steam games.. try look for these brand,, MSI GE or GS series, Origin, Xenom (or Clevo), Asus Rog is also nice, Gigabyte, or maybe u want to try SG local brand Aftershock

9. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an asus Rog. As some has mention, get an MSI or ASUS gaming laptop. Try to get one with at least a hybrid drive if you can't get one with ssd.

If you're going for Intel CPU + nVidia Video Card, get one with 2gb or 4gb of dedicated video ram. If you play HD games, you will want higher graphic ram to store the graphic textures. You u can go for a 8Gb model or higher, doesn't matter since The gpu has its own dedicated ram.

If you go for AMD APU without a dedicated video card, get a laptop with atleast 12GB or 16GB because the ram will be shared for both the cpu and gpu task.

It also depends on what game you will be playing on it. I mostly play modern MMOs and a few indie games.

10. FINN

FINN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest you to buy custom type PC, so you can play any game you like.

Good part is, you can buy it with minimum budget and you can make even better the graphic for gaming. Secondly you can customize the fps to overcome the lag.

Demerits : every spare part you must buy must have some compatibility with you're PC.

The spare parts price now is the big issue, some are expensive and some part are SSR grades to find.

Lastly the price currency always changing with world money balance in every month. ( in my country).

11. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use an xt. The ones with 5 inch floppy drives to play dune 2- the first rts game. Not starcraft or warcraft, not c&c- dune2 was the first rts game.

So use a desktop. Get one of those cube pcs, the really small ones. Then get those shades that transmit to your retinas. Space solved.

12. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For gaming purposes best option is a Console.There is no need of requirement as if game is made for that system,then it will definately work.If console is not possible then go for PC.Laptop for gaming is worst idea.It gets slowly outdated.Also same configuration on both end have vast price difference.Also some difference in performance can be felt for same configuration.Also laptop has many problem(when used for gaming purpose) which usually don't experience like heating problem,etc.

13. Shadowdracul

Shadowdracul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Alienware even though its heavy as shit and need to be plugged in (Eats too much battery) the games run extremely smoothly, I have been using in for 2.5 years now and all the high graphics games as of yet are running very smoothly. And unlike some gaming laptops it doesn't get hot.

14. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was naive once and decided to spend money I saved up while working during high school to buy a $4,000 USD Alienware laptop for gaming. It was sleek and cool. Sadly, it crashed quite often. Even while just browsing the file directory. This was back in 2005. Dell has since bought the company, but their standards and management are nearly the same.

I spent $470 to buy a refurbished laptop from Acer off Tigerdirect because a year later and multiple send backs for maintenance I couldn't keep dealing with Alienware. Due to poor ventilation, the laptop even had the motherboard fry a few months after I got it. I never did get to play any games on it because Final Fantasy Online and ES Oblivion would crash a few minutes into play due to poorly configured "Alienware" custom graphic drivers. I even tried open source variations of NVIDIA drivers for my card and to no avail.

Funnily, that $400 laptop actually was more stable and could run Photoshop and everything else I needed until the new programs started eating up CPU and RAM needs due to bloated programming standards years later. So I wiped it and put Linux Mint and it's been running fine as long as I don't need to stream video. Its old CPU doesn't manage that so well.

A few years after I bought that refurbished laptop, I bought another for about $50 more in 2009. After removing all the Windows bloat that manufacturers put on it, it could run Skyrim on min specs. I used it until a couple months ago when it died to a power shortage. I also eventually swapped to Linux Mint on it and had no problems playing most web games like Runescape. However, again, gaming became an issue because of increased demand of system requirements. It could do everything else, though. Which isn't bad for an aging laptop.

My thoughts throughout all of this is that Alienware's "Gaming" branding is largely hype. A cheap laptop running Linux Mint can handle nearly all of your needs efficiency and is inexpensive enough to replace if needed. If you want bleeding specs, get a PC and have it custom built from Newegg's forums, they're really strenuous on testing there.

15. Reginald Twistleton

Reginald Twistleton [Lord of Rhymes][Fresh King of NUF]

Reading List:
    Link
    wow...

16. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the GeForce GTS 2 laptops then?

17. Madness

Madness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i want to ask which one is better
    ASUS X550 JK-DM160H

• Intel® CoreTM i7-4710HQ Processor
    2.5GHz (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.5GHz)
    • Windows 8.1
    • 15.6” LED-backlit Slim Full HD 1920 x 1080
    Anti-Glare Display (16:9)
    • 8GB RAM & 240GB SATA 2.5” SSD
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 850 (4GB DDR3)
    • HD Web Camera
    • 1 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / 1 x HDMI Port / 1 x VGA / 1 x LAN
    • SuperMulti with Double Layer
    • 2.4kg
    • 3 Years Local Onsite Parts and Labour
    or
    ASUS UX303 LN-DQ315H

• Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor
    2.4GHz (5M Cache, Turbo up to 3.0GHz)
    • Windows 8.1
    • 13.3” LED-backlit Ultra Slim QHD+ (3200 x 1800), Touchscreen
    • 8GB RAM
    • 750GB SATA 2.5” HDD + 24GB SSD
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 840 (2GB DDR3 VRAM)
    • HD Web Camera
    • 3 x USB 3.0 / 1 x HDMI Port / 1x mini Display Port /
    • 1.45kg
    • 3 Years Local Onsite Parts and Labour

18. Reginald Twistleton

Reading List:
    Link
    IF you don't have the space i would recommend a micro or mini cabinet. You could assemble a great gaming pc and keep it under (1250 USD).
    I hope you are trolling. incase you are not GeForce is a range of NVIDEA GPUs. GPUs just by itself cant determine the worth of a laptop.

19. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just trying to be helpful. I hope you know that it's not a good attitude to put people down just because they aren't experts like you.

20. Reginald Twistleton

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not looking down on u... if you thought so then i am sorry. I am condescending by default

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.