Discussion GOOD ANTAGNIST

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Enigma, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    In your opinion what makes a good antagonist for the main character

What type of antagonist is bad for a story

What are some examples of story's where the antagonist added to the depth of the story and helped move it along. Instead of simply being there

In my opinion a good antagonist is one with a goal in mind and actually has a reason for that goal. One not simply there to fill in the story. It helps a lot if there goal and the reason for it gets you thinking. Maybe not to the extent of saying I agree 100percent let me join your organization so we can conqueror the world. Though at least to the extent where you think he should have picked a better way, it was a stupid choice but I kinda see where he's coming from.

(If you give me some ideas for good antagonist I may add a poll I anything of any right now)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    CDLevit likes this.
  2. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    for me a good antagonist is one who mirrors the protagonist, someone who is doing what they see as good and as such make him someone the main character doesn't want to fight against. for this the best example I can think of is in anti magic academy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    NekoMK2, Wytchlord, CDLevit and 3 others like this.
  3. Fighnjaci

Fighnjaci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone who actually has proper reasons for what he's doing.
    I've seen way too many antagonist doing evil shit for evil shit's sake.

I need someone who we could relate to.

CDLevit and Enigma like this.
  4. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone who has actual flaws which hinder him, yet continues to do what he can. It would be good if his growth was proportional to the flaws he could fix, adapt to, or ignore, like an MC. If anything, he should be more impressive than the MC, yet his actions makes it so you can't see him as anything but the best villain. As well, the villain needs more of a goal than the MC, else he's just the third party troublemaker.

Enigma likes this.
  5. Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Can one of the moderators please fix the title for me when they get time I just now noticed it's misspelled ooops......

6. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know this help or not, an antagonist in story is always the bad one to most reader, (although he's not really bad if you think from another perspective), or you can change the antagonist from bad to good in the end(if you prefer that).

So what makes good antagonist for me is the one don't ruin th story or the one really make the reader feel mad to the antagonist.

The bad one? the one is not too much development. For example knowing antagonist in chapter 2 but not mention it anymore until the last few chapter

In this case I said is about main antagonist.

Enigma likes this.
  7. Brungles

Brungles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say a good antagonist is someone who has a reason for doing what they do, where there is some way the audience or readers can empathize with them, even if they don't agree with the antagonists actions.

CDLevit and Enigma like this.
  8. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Pokemon antagonists.

9. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    is you can feel sympathetic towards the antagonist then the author did a good job

Enigma likes this.
  10. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    @Pie are you trying to add to your thread comedy collection?
    ANTAGNIST
    Sorry I couldn't help myself

I like antagonists that have reasonable motives. As long as they have their own goals which are logical and they are not just doing things because 'it's evil' then I usually think they are alright. I like stories which are written from both sides for this reason because it gives a good chance to explain exactly why each side does what they do. If there's no decent motive or explination I'll put it down as either poor or lazy writing.

seabuckthorn, CDLevit and Enigma like this.
  11. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone who isn't just there for the mc to power up...

12. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    Please don't create an antagonist like zabuza and haku in naruto, that makes me cry so much... :(

CDLevit likes this.
  13. Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i didn't notice that till later I asked the mods to fix it, my problem is I type really fast and depend on spell check it didn't work that time for some reason

CDLevit and Aicila like this.
  14. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, i wanted to say exactly the same xD

Enigma likes this.
  15. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, a good antagoniste :

- should have a past to explain it's present behaviour. (Dark Vador in Star Wars (lol))
    - should have a vision of the world whose logique is as good as the one the hero would have if there positions were inverted. Like in a story where a hero wouldn't be a "so easy" thing to determine (like the bad guys in Gundam Seed).
    - should have the right to be considered as a human being with good reasons. ( like Roctis Kravei in Noblesse who just wanted to protect his daughter even knowing he has lost everything).
    - would not be evil just to do evil things. He is clear minded and doesn't feel like he has to justify his behaviour. He is determined to follow his path and won't make excuses. (like Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones who as a rude experience of life and know that to build stability, some things are often unavoidable).
    - would accepted / be aware of the concequences of his choices. He has an intelligent mind and know nothing is just white or black and in any good, there's always a part of evil. It's just a question of perspective. (Count Saazbaum in AZ -> sufferings of marsiens)
    - would have a devilish intelligent mind and a presence that would haunt all the story (like Orloff in Coiling Dragon who were always here but without anybody noticing his secret).
    - strong and cold-blooded (like Ayanami in 07-Ghost)

... and I didn't finished. -_-'

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    NekoMK2 likes this.
  16. FlowingSong

FlowingSong Otome Isekai Reader and Trash ML Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    FS likes antagonists that are very hard to condone as evil. The types that aren't shallow at what they're doing and makes the reader question "WHAT IF HE WAS THE PROTAGONIST?" cause he could be the protagonist only the story was shown at a different person's perspective yet both of them are fighting for what they believe is right to which the readers can relate to.

17. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    but evil is the best unless you are @Ldyrdy then you are the enemy of all mankind...

FlowingSong likes this.
  18. FlowingSong

FlowingSong Otome Isekai Reader and Trash ML Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. okay. ahahahaha but why is @Ldyrdy err the enemy?

19. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two types of antagonists I like. Ones where I would cheer for them if the story was told from their perspective and ones where I get see the evil bastards suffer. They aren't well developed or good characters, but that doesn't stop it from being something of a cathartic experience to see good win and evil die painfully.

20. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    you were sleeping...

FlowingSong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.