Haah, tired of the Praise the MC plot

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Reindeer, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Wassup people, and today is Haah, I'm Tired Day. Today, I'm going to talk about how I'm tired of how a story's main point is to praise and glorify the MC. It's like it's a big fking Ode Novel ver.

An example of this Praise the MC novel is Paradise of Demons and Gods. It's never really bothered me before, but now it really does. I'm at the part where he joins the academy with all these big guns, these lvl 20. Seeing how lvl 30 is the limit, these people would be genuine high leveled experts, which, for me, would mean that they must have a brain from all the stats they got from leveling up. What really disappointed me is that they are the exact same people from the previous school, the lvl 10-19 school. It's like nothing has changed, they are just all there for us to compare with the MC, to react to MC geniusness, and for the story to have any plot at all.

Let me give an example for a bit. MC was in this place where ppl can get killing techniques. There are like 4 of them, but you could only pick the next one if you more or less master the previous. So what does MC do? He masters it in a few hours! The gatekeeper be like "shit boi, I spent a couple yrs on that, I don't believe he mastered it, that's impossible." What happens next is that the gatekeeper fights with MC like some teenager. Ofc he loses, and ppl are like "That guy is amazing! Oh, so he's the guy who won the previous competition? Why didn't you guys say anything ?" that's right, they didn't need to fight if the MC just said his name, but no, author needs to glorify the MC, we need a reason for them to fight. The next gatekeeper was the one that made me drop. It's the same thing that happened last time, gatekeeper not believing MC skills, fights repeatedly, losses horribly. What's changed tho, is that different from the first one, this one kept a grudge. Author be like "but this isn't fiction, this is reality and that this guy can't accept the way he lost so he's going to keep seeking death from now on. Convenient antagonist right? Not fiction, this happens irl too." what's killed me was the fact that these ppl, and this gatekeeper in particular, are all high level experts. They should know how to act when shit hits the fan, or they meet a guy they can't beat, because let's be honest, if he can kick you ass easily once, he can do it the next time you're back too.

TL DR
    Praise the MC novels sucks
    Edit: not to be confused with Praise the Orc, this novel rocks.

Nimroth, Razogul, mir and 2 others like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's done like every 100 chapters than it's not that bad, but to do it regularly is bad. It makes me feel like the other characters are just low lives people who couldn't stand for themselves.

Reindeer likes this.
  3. Mr.Rabbit

Mr.Rabbit I want money but I dont wanna work

Reading List:
    Link
    When you read Returning from the Immortal World, you will be more mad.

4. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    Most novels are like that man... And it realy sucks... Its like the world doesn't have amazing ppl... They there only to be cannon fodders... Its realy sad.

mir and Reindeer like this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    When you feel like life is shitty and everything is going wrong and everyone is against you, you read this novel and lighten up. Otherwise, it looks shallow and just an ego-stroking. Such novels are written because there's a demand tho. Not my cup of tea, but I've had such days, so I get it.

Reindeer likes this.
  6. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    When you realize you started something.

Reindeer likes this.
  7. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some gatekeeper probably insulted the Author. There seems to be a grudge.

Razogul, mir, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.
  8. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see why people complain so much about novels glorifying the mc. Of course there are novels like these, just like there are novels where the mc suffers and have a hard time gaining success. There are different types of novels to satisfy everyone's tastes. Just accept the fact that the novel is not for you and move on.

9. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Today is Haah, I'm Tired Day, we're supposed to complain about stuff we're tired of.

mir and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That novel already waving a red flag when MC's motivation is revenge

11. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped issth, martial world and desolate era for the same reason. When the mc does something wrong 'that's the way of the world; survival of the fittest' but when a rival does it they 'couldn't see mount tai'. I really hate these characters.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... That does sound quite annoying.

I'm glad I never found a novel with this kind of thing... It would be reaaaaaaaaaaally bothersome.

I mean, I like believable characters and... Those gatekeepers just don't seem very believable... I mean, they are gatekeepers, why should they bother with picking a fight with a genius student in the first place? That's just dumb.

Razogul likes this.
  13. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, the gatekeepers themselves are also students, just that they are stronger than average since they were able to get the job, which I think is probably an advantageous job, having more time near the killing technique tablet or something.

Razogul likes this.
  14. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of a JP novel I tried once.
    I saw 'world building' and thought, 'Cool!'
    but then people were constantly praising the MC for simple strategies as if they were all genius, it was tiring.... :blobexpressionless: so I dropped it.

Razogul likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, well, it's a bit more believable in this case... A bit.

Still sounds annoying though.

Razogul likes this.
  16. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    You expect them to also be calm-minded as well. But usually the author just wants a generic fight to start. Mainly only to show how powerful and who the MC is in a new city. Kind of funny how his name is spread "Far and wide." Usually with descriptions and the like! Not until he beats a person however. *Shrugs*

My advice, just go see another novel if you're sick of it.

Reindeer likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, that makes sense.

I mean, raw power shouldn't give anyone the post of gatekeeper, right? They'd need to be reliable at their job, so being able to keep calm in troublesome situations should be a basic pre-requisite...

Razogul likes this.
  18. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    It literally makes the most sense. Otherwise, I'd make it so that all of them are competent. It'd be more believable then just putting people with high cultivation there. Though that would leave less battles in the long run wouldn't it?

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Ofc, or else how are we going to praise and glorify the MC if these blockheads don't exist?

Razogul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.