Discussion Heavenly Jewel Change - Confusion regarding cultivation

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by DarkArts, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I started re-reading HJC from the beginning and I want to clear up some things that confuse me... I'm currently still on chapter 7.
    So in chapter one we are told that Difuya has 2 gems(specifically rubies) and is of the 7th level. Her bodyguard is at the 9th level and has 3 jewels.
    In chapter 7 Bing'er says that for Physical and Elemental Jewel masters there's only 3 levels of energy needed for the first jewel and for the next 2 jewels, 2 levels for each and then 3 levels for each successive jewel.
    1.) According to this, shouldn't Difuya have 3 gems?
    2.) Also, I know MC was confused and didn't know much about cultivation, but he thought the bodyguard was at the 10th level because she had 3 jewels, how come? I mean even with 3 levels per jewel it's still just the 9th level.
    Another thing that confuses me is how energy is separated for normal Physical and Elemental Jewel masters.
    3.) According to what Bing'er said, they should only have a total of 25 levels of energy, while Heavenly Jewel masters can have a total of 48... the four energy types are supposedly separated into 12 levels each, so are Elemental and Physical Jewel masters only able to cultivate until the first level of the 3rd type of energy? What makes me think they might not be separated into 12 levels for them is specifically the first chapter where MC thought the guard was at the 10th level and that she had the second type of energy, though that might still be because of his lack of knowledge...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    ItsOnlyPro and Astaroth like this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I didn't read this because I'm also confused now...

3. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    ....this is a mindfuck for me (-___-) I'm going to need to reread HJC later once it's completed.

fatchi and Astaroth like this.
  4. ItsOnlyPro

ItsOnlyPro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did Bing'er say that? Perhaps there were special rules for the first Jewels? I only know that for Physical + Elemental Jewel Master they get a new Jewel every 3 Levels, while Heavenly Jewel Masters get a new one every 4 Levels. This would fit for Difuya and her bodyguard. (Level 7 Energy = 2 Jewels, bodyguard at 9th level has 3 jewels) (Both are only Physical/Elemental J-Masters)

Astaroth and Samsara like this.
  5. Hmaster

Hmaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They get 1 new jewel per 3 levels, when you get past level 12 your energy evolves and you start at level 1+ 1 new jewel.The 4 stages of energy is called Heavenly Jing Energy, Heavenly Shen Energy, Heavenly Xu Energy and Heavenly Dao Energy.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 7 part 3:

7. preman1

preman1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh man, now i'm confuse too

8. Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal

Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal 「ZA ROYAL ROASTER」「ZEE KOUHAI」

Reading List:
    Link
    I just turn my brain off when something like this pops up...
    Cultivation systems are such a pain.

Shio, fireclaws, Greedyspree and 2 others like this.
  9. Skoll028

Skoll028 Member of DivineDaoLibrary

Reading List:
    Link
    There is the simple way of explaining and then there is the complicated way of explaining. I'll just KISS.
    12 levels of heavenly jewels, where each level gives you a new jewel (this is the main cultivation category the series focuses on)
    The 12 levels are divided into 3 sub levels, where lvs 1-4 are one, 5-8 are another, and 9 thru 12 the last. That's the simplest way of explaining it. Compared to other wuxias, its like how there is houtian and xiantian, but they have their sub stages like, low mid high and peak.
    Hope that helps.

DarkArts likes this.
  10. Boy and the Beast

Boy and the Beast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could be a mistranslation or a mistake from the author. There were many mistakes, typos and etcs which I found while reading HJC.

Astaroth and DarkArts like this.
  11. ItsOnlyPro

ItsOnlyPro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok it seems it really is right, still I suggest/advice you to just forget that part and follow the Level System I mentioned, as that is the correct one. Seems like the author just decided to change it, I remember my correct one being stated somewhere after chapter 7 which would also be the correct one then

DarkArts likes this.
  12. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, the way they combine # of jewels + levels of cultivation is annoying,
    Not to mention each gem for each type of jewel's elements/skills,
    Do people really expect us to remember them? We might as well be a botanist then...

DarkArts likes this.
  13. Raizhee

Raizhee bubblegum bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Its smth like how @Hmaster *cough* Steeve \re:hamster*cough* said

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like she's saying that it doesn't work the same for HJM, but then like you said, it's weird that Difuya has only 2 at 7th since she's a plain simple elemental one, right?

We could give the Author (and TL) the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe Bing'er wasn't very knowledgeable at that point, which was also basically emphasised soon thereafter...

DarkArts likes this.
  15. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, the mixing of levels, energy "stages", and jewel count leave me in a confused state myself. But because, like most xianxia, power levels are more or less completely arbitrary because relevant characters will skip levels at random (oh, sorry; gain strength so quickly they go through 2+ at once). So I just pay attention to whenever he gains a new skill or equipment, plus whenever they mention jewel count of someone else for a rough idea of the same.

As a complaint of the genre, I really don't get why they put so much effort into stages and shit for their abilities. The only purpose of it, from a writing perspective, would be to make it so that the reader could readily compare strengths of people. But every single xianxia author spends paragraphs saying SoandSo is so much stronger than SoandSo anyway. "The difference between someone at the early Y stage and the peak X stage is like heaven and earth! Except for right now, when the MC kicks their ass". I get it, a level 5 beats a level 4, unless you have awesome ninja skills as level 4. The entire point of levels is so that you don't have to constantly explain that 5 beats 4.

16. erickson678

erickson678 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    full system contains 4 stages with 12 levels each
    Heavenly Jing Energy -
    jewels 1-3 -- to unlock first level 3 energy is need to unlock other jewels 2 level per jewel is needed you get all 3 at lvl 7 and upgrade to next stage this is for elemental or physical jewel masters
    -heavenly jewel masters gets their first jewel at lvl 5 and all others 2 levels after

Heavenly Shen Energy - jewels 4-6 all types of jewel master now gain a new jewel every 3 lvls starting with first jewel at lvl 3
    Heavenly Xu Energy - jewels 7-9
    Heavenly Dao Energy -jewels 10- 12

everyone is confuse because that difuya b*tch is a hevenly jewel master

17. niks27

niks27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first when I started reading CN like CD I used to read every explanation about its cultivation technique, laws etc bcoz they were understandable and at that time my mind didn't have various types of cultivation techniques to remember from different novels.

But nowadays I don't pay as much attention as I used to pay bcoz there are hundreds of different cultivation techniques, laws etc in every different novel and if I pay attention to all of them then my mind is gonna mess up, so I just read the main points cultivation technique that they are trying to convey and keep it simple at the same time bcoz I'm here enjoy story of a novel not to memorise these laws and other messed up cultivation techniques.

While there are still some novels whose cultivation techniques are interesting and I pay attention to them like ISSTH, DMWG, LLS, MW,TMW and some more.

18. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    Last chaper, 87-3th

Alas, the Holy Flames of Light was just too powerful, being a Fusion Skill. Furthermore, Shen Little Demon’s cultivation level was originally already more than twelve levels higher than Zhou Weiqing.

But he's lv.3++, she's 6th ...