Help in building a PC

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by 3rd Rate Hikikomori, Jun 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally for my Desktop I merely bought each piece when it was on sale. What you need first is a compatible Processor and Mother board. Depending on whether you buy a AMD processor or Intel. AMD has greater performance and price but you will need to buy something to cool it down because it gets hotter. after that, you can switch parts as you need them. It took me at least a few months to collect all of the pieces to build it.

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

Custom building a PC can be as cheap has 1/2 the price of pre-built.

First of all, what is your budget? Depending on your budget depends on the config you should aim for. That said, some things are pretty vital like SSD for at least the boot drive (it doesn't have to be the fastest SSD, even the slowest SSD is more than enough).

Overall custom building a PC is super easy, just a few weeks back a person I know did 95% of the setup himself without knowing anything about the PC. The hardest 2 parts is really the front panel headers and installing the heatsink for the cpu. (And even that is more annoying then hard).

Other things I will note is don't bother spending on top end mother boards, cheap quality mother board is good enough (you will note use 99% of the expensive motherboard features)

For the PSU, you generally don't need to get high Watt psu unless you plan to crossfire/sli and overclock which you probably won't. So go for a quality brand rather. (a poor brand psu can damage your entire pc)

If you can wait a month or 2, I would do so. Right now GPU prices are unnaturally high due to cryptominers buying up supply while new gpus are in low production. So prices have gone up by 50-100%. They have dropped back down slightly but it will be a bit more till they stabilize.

3rd Rate Hikikomori likes this.
  3. Admiral_Mikan

Admiral_Mikan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >AMD hotter
    Wow that's quite outdated info. Were you talking about Sempron generation? AMD Ryzen has efficient power consumption, and it's stock cooler, I mean on Ryzen 1400, 1500X, 1600, and 1700 are actually far superior than Intel stock cooler, and can handle decent overclocking. You don't need to buy 3rd party cooler.

Quite the opposite with current newer Intel processor. i7 Kaby Lake CPU and i9 X299 platform actually run quite hot since they didn't solder their CPU and instead, using cheap TIM (termal paste) under IHS.