Question [solved] Help me TT_TT (chinese sentences)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Eis, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really not good with the sentence that full of description....

据说,当年她还未嫁给江雁时,一身娇艳的红裳,骑着雪白的马儿,从帝都繁华的大道上呼啸而过,有一点飞扬跋扈,却没有一点江湖戾气,是那样美艳和亮丽,那锋芒般的美,令见者无不咂舌。她随着江雁多年征战,立了无数战功,最终嫁入江府,作了妾室。江雁的定安侯,虽得来不易,但有一半的功劳应当是归于她。

in particular those in red....How to properly translate it to english?

江雁: is a name

[solved] Thank you everyone!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please let me have a try:
    They said that,at the time before been married to Jiang Yan, she dressed in delicate and charming red skirt,rode alone on white horse, roaring past the busy street in the capital.The scene was a little arrogant and domineering, but not hostile. She was so glamorous and bright, and a hard-edged beauty, who let all viewers without exception feel breathtaking.After expeditions for many years alone with Jiang Yan, winning many honours in war, she finally married into the Jiang family and became a concubine.It was difficult for Jiang Yan get marquis of An Ding, and at least she deserved half of the credit.

Edit:I missed a sentence "became a concubine"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Eis and Damyabo like this.
  3. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    It is said that when she had not yet married Jiang Yan,
    she used to ride a white horse through the bustling road of the ancient capital while wearing a tender and beautiful red dress.
    It is not like water bursting out of the river, but that sight still looking a little domineering.
    That intelligent beauty, even if not a staggering one, is so glamorous and bright.
    In the war times , together with Jiang Yan , she set up countless exploits and ultimately married into Jiangfu, become a concubine .
    It is not easy to say but half of Jiang Yan's merits should belong her.

lynette and Eis like this.
  4. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    @lynette @DAMYABO
    Is 令见者无不咂舌 really "let all viewers without exception feel breathtaking"?
    bc I looked and found that 咂舌 is "to smack one's lips in disapproval" or "raspberry?" (I honestly have no idea what the latter means, I think it's a slang or sth). So is everyone was stunned by her beauty, or felt contempt for her?

Backstory: since she was from Jianghu and formerly a pirate...

lynette likes this.
  5. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    令见者无不咂舌 is hard for me. i thought it may be 令见者无不咋舌 so I use " even if not a staggering one".("even if everyone didn't find it staggering" is what i want to use,but I shorten it a bit)
    if it is 令见者无不咂舌, 咂舌 = sucking/smacking and tongue.
    so if" all of them are smacking lips in disapproval" as you says , that line is contradicting the other lines like 是那样美艳和亮丽"is so glamorous and bright" and 那锋芒般的美 .(锋芒 is Edgy/Sharp so i figure i use intelligent)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    lynette and Eis like this.
  6. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, literally 咂舌 is "to smack one's lips in disapproval".In this paragraph,the author wrote so many words to compliment the beauty. This words should be positive,could be understand everyone was stunned by her beauty.It is not a slang, but I doubt it is 咋舌(称赞) usually used in news press, as a commendatory term . If you read only the right part of 咋,it is quite like 咂.

The "江湖戾气" could be understand as "hostile to others like a pirat".

Eis and Damyabo like this.
  7. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    @DAMYABO @lynette
    Ohh, I see...
    I thought that since she was formerly a pirate (and a Jianghu person) and dressed in gaudy red dress, so although she was very beautiful, everyone was disapprove of her (look).

Anyway, thank you for the clarification (y)

lynette and Damyabo like this.
  8. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from to click one's tongue (咂舌头) and smack one's lips, 咂舌 can be translated as to cherish, to regard highly. Quite similar to 咋舌 (breathtaking)

是那样美艳和亮丽,那锋芒般的美,令见者无不咂舌。
    She was so glamorous and pretty, with a sharp look that left, without exception, all witnesses in awe.
    Here 者无不咂舌 in a different context:

不过,瑕不掩瑜,或者是精品中的迷惑,这盘专辑在亮相前,在李哲大力宣传的前期便被炒的沸沸嚷嚷,发行的第一周便勇攀高峰,直接超过了第一盘专辑的二倍业绩。

让众位公司的员工、各层的领导以及同行业者无不咂舌。对于这位才气横溢的天仔,对于他唱片的空前绝后的成绩,几乎用上了'膜拜'这个词语……

Eis likes this.
  9. unclebebby

unclebebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FYI, in my family, 咂舌 might be both good and bad. this might be making the "tsk" sound, but sometimes, when we do it continuously, it means that we are mighty impressed.

therefore, according to that writing, if the person continuously does it (none stop 咂舌), it may be them giving her praise instead of looking down on her.

the general sense of that entire statement seems to be that she is of great beauty who archieved greatness despite her not so great origin.

Eis likes this.