Help Translate/Explain Chinese statement/sentence

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by th3la2ynight, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. th3la2ynight

th3la2ynight Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was going to put this in translating section, but I'm not a translator at least not yet (Sorry do not know where else to get help)
    Can someone give correct translation/explanation on the red parts? Thank you, I'm trying to learn Chinese
    苏简记得,当时看到这回复的时候,自己极其惊艳地拍案叫绝:好兄弟,讲义气
    From what i can under stand
    惊艳(stunning) 地拍案(stroke/hit) 叫绝(exclaimed)
    讲义气(speak righteous)
    My translation of sentence so far Su Jian remembers, at the time he saw this reply,he extremely (red part): good bros, (red part)

而如今,当他自己真的面对这样的诡异情境,却只能极其蛋疼地惊震悲悚愤 <- have no idea what it means besides 地惊(earth quake)震(shake)悲(sad)悚(frighten)愤(anger)
    But now, he is really facing such a strange situation, can only extremely ball aching

2. Crystalraven

Crystalraven † Strawberry † Knight †

Reading List:
    Link
    "Su Jian remembers, at the time he saw this reply they were extremely good brothers. But now, he is facing such a strange situation, and can only bend over and grab his extremely aching balls in agony."

You're welcome.

Trust I, me is gewd on langoowej.

Edit: Please don't take me seriously, I honestly know zero Chinese. Just wait for the pros to come, they'll solve it in a jiffy. Ave a nice day~

Gunji Murgi likes this.
  3. bloomsburyhouse

bloomsburyhouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Su Jian remembered, at the time he saw the reply (need more context but probably this), he excitedly (extremely) in startling fashion slapped the table and shouted: Good Brothers!!!@!@#@, they are loyal

very rough

4. Meizhen

Meizhen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Su Jian remembers, at the time he saw this reply,he extremely stunning and slap the table and shout with praise: good bros, you're loyal (to one's friends)

而如今,当他自己真的面对这样的诡异情境,却只能极其蛋疼地惊震悲悚愤
    But now, he is really facing such a strange situation, can only extremely feel pain in the ass with the mix of shocked, anger, frightened and sad.

I think it should be like this :)

5. shikiller

shikiller Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    拍案叫绝 is an idiom which literally translates to being so pleased that you slam the table in appreciation (kinda like exaggerated applause). It's usually figurative though, meaning no actual table slamming here, it's just a way of saying the guy pleasantly/happily exclaimed : "[...]"

I don't really get the context here so I'm not 100% sure why he's saying 讲义气, but you can assume he just means "good job!" or something similar.

6. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this fits in Translator section since there would be people that can help you. In general chat, they might not notice it.

7. shikiller

shikiller Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Random aside, if you're MTLing it's worth noting that 地 is a very common char and has multiple meanings. In this case it's not used as "earth" but as a way of linking a description with the thing being described. Hard to explain in english, and honestly the writing for that second para is...shall we say creative? Well, not as well written as it could be in any case...

Edit: the technical explanation is apparently "a structural participle: used before a verb or an adjective linking it to a preceding modifying adverbial adjunct"

8. th3la2ynight

th3la2ynight Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @shikiller
    Thank you for explaining 拍案叫绝, i'm learning by using google mtl and someone who has already translated the chapter of the novel i'm using to learn and want to eventually finish reading. Also did not know that 地 can be used like that :)

9. th3la2ynight

th3la2ynight Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you get ass??

10. Levvy

Levvy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's how I'm understanding it:

Su Jian remembers that when he saw the reply, he struck the table with astonishment and exclaimed with approval, "What a bro!"

惊艳 --> surprised by how amazing something is
    地拍案叫绝 --> strike the table and exclaim how great something is. He very much approves of something.
    讲义气 --> Being a good friend, doing what a good friend/comrade would do for each other. Sorta like...following the bro code?

而如今,当他自己真的面对这样的诡异情境,却只能极其蛋疼地惊震悲悚愤
    And yet, when he is actually faced with such a queer situation at present, he could only be helplessly startled, upset, afraid, and angry.

惊震悲悚愤 --> You gotta sorta take the meaning of each individual character and combine them all together.

11. SummerX

SummerX Well-known fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    this should be broken down like this: 自己(himself) 极其惊艳地(very stunning-ly) 拍案叫绝(as explained by @shikiller )
    极其 is used to describe the level of 惊艳
    地 here is marker in front of an action, showing that whatever is before 地 is like a adverb to describe the action. Similar to 的 when putting in front of some item 红色(red) 的 花(flower)

义气 can roughly be translated into royalty. For example a friend will go beat up the guy that NTRed you voluntarily for 义气

却只能极其蛋疼地惊震悲悚愤 Similarly, is 却只能(can only) 极其蛋疼地(very (literally) egg-hurting-ly) 惊震悲悚愤(shocked, surprised, sad, frightened, angry)
    蛋疼egg-hurt means something like butthurt.

I have to say these are bad Chinese. The writer's Chinese teacher will frown if he/she reads these. Please try not to learn from this novel's writing style. 惊艳 is a verb, and shouldn't be used here to describe another verb. Although Chinese words do not fit very well into the traditional Definitions of Basic Sentence Parts, this example here is very weird.
    About the make-up word 惊震悲悚愤……I don't even understand why the author wanted to make up a word for a meaning that can be perfectly convey with proper words like 震惊 and 悲愤. It doesn't even look or sound good. Unless this is a meme I don't think it's acceptable.

12. th3la2ynight

th3la2ynight Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @lollideath
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, also i did not know that the Chinese was very bad. I'll try to not learn from this style of writing, but i really like the novel, so...:unsure:

13. SummerX

SummerX Well-known fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be over-reacting a little bit. :p I can be a grammar nazi sometimes. I can understand what the author means and see that he is trying to be funny, and the kind of usage of words are not uncommon on web forums anyway. After all this is a webnovel without editing, not an academic paper or published work...but you said in the post that you are learning Chinese, and both of the sentences you posted happened to be not-so-correct, so I wanted to make it clear that those were not "proper" writing Chinese. Language evolves so those might be the "proper" usage in the future, who knows.
    A story can still be good without perfect writing skill or style. There is nothing wrong in enjoying it. Some of my favorite webnovels have writings like that too(I kept re-writing them in my head while reading, which almost drove me crazy!). Have fun learning Chinese and reading webnovels!