Help with finding a good laptop price...

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by KuroInfinity, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuroInfinity

KuroInfinity [Decipherer of Texts] [She Who Shall Not Be Named]

Reading List:
    Link
    I love my laptop, bought it for around 450$ and its been a great companion for me over the past 5 and a half years.

Well, it died.

I was expecting this, some of its keys had popped out and its battery couldn't hold a charge, but I can't help but feel a little sad now...

Anyways, now I'm looking into finding a new laptop but I don't really know what a good price for one would be...

Money's not really an issue, I can just save up for a bit.
    What I'm looking for is probably a general-use laptop, one that I'll be using for everyday life, but I would like it if it was good for gaming.

How much do you guys think I should spend for one? :/

My old laptop was the HP Pavillion G6

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-g6/specs/

And I'm currently living in the US.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well what is it for, work, fun, eroge?

Didn't read far enough... anywhere from 300-500 is pretty decent for general every day life. 1000-2000 for something powerful that will stay at the house and doesnt take too much space. 2000+ you should just go with a tower. I don't tend to buy any laptop the goes beyond those ranges simply because anything else would be paying for brand/parts rather than compatibility. And it doesn't make too much sense to pay an extra 350 for 10-15% of power, whether it be ram, rom or graphics.

3. Gunji Murgi

Gunji Murgi Overlord of all Things Feathered

Reading List:
    Link
  4. KuroInfinity

KuroInfinity [Decipherer of Texts] [She Who Shall Not Be Named]

Reading List:
    Link
    General use, Like the "I'm going to use this everyday as my personal computer" kind of thing. Surfing the web, watching youtube, playing the odd-steam game here and there, I DON'T need the video games I'm playing to be all the highest graphics setting either.

I just want it to be fast.

5. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    In dollars per region: US600-900, EU700-1000, ASIA probably cheaper(AUS prices are insane but assuming a laptop for 450 you're not from AUS). Also my prices are just the price range where most cheap quality to medium range quality pcs are. But in general buying laptops is mostly about having a SSD, a good series of GPU and CPU so they hold for years without becoming slow. IF normal usage any GPU above 950m/950 is overkill(dunno much about AMD for laptop models) and CPU 6000 series is already pretty high end for all others than 6100. My opinion if you want a good PC get a 6500 CPU with pretty much any GPU and a SSD and you can't really go wrong(might require you to buy SSD and install it yourself but that is pretty easy).

6. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    specs for the laptop that died would be useful too.

Ps what do you do on your compie.

which country you are in too... Since there are diff prices for different places.... I also need to find a new laptop but bleh its been nearly a year and still haven't found one I like yet.... I'm pretty sure I've already ranted about that somewhere else in the forums.

7. sidiusn

sidiusn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where in the world do ye live? much easier to find it if we know

8. ln_

ln_ All hail Master Roshi

Reading List:
    Link
    You have multiple options here.

If you wait a bit, the microsoft surface is gonna get updated so thats that.

If you wanna go with some cool machines,
    > Good power to graphics to weight ratio - Razer Blade Pro
    > If you want to be on the lighter side - Razer Blade Stealth (You will need to buy Razer core if you wanna do serious gaming)

9. tearteto

tearteto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-V...id=1470693351&sr=8-2&keywords=acer+aspire+vn7

does more than fit the bill with extra performance to spare; I am really jealous of the USA prices. this laptop to me would cost me over $1000 in my country instead of $680
    Full review of a very similar model can be found here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-572G-72L0-Notebook-Review.153424.0.html
    short version of review:
    - near 6 hour battery life with wifi surfing, 120GB SSD, good IPS screen, doesn't get too hot, fairly quiet for its category and good gaming performance.

10. sidiusn

sidiusn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Search for one that is remanufactured to get a 40% discount.

12. Reginald Twistleton

Reginald Twistleton [Lord of Rhymes][Fresh King of NUF]

Reading List:
    Link
    It lasted 5 and half years? That's pretty good...Most laptops last around 4 years

13. Reginald Twistleton

Reginald Twistleton [Lord of Rhymes][Fresh King of NUF]

Reading List:
    Link
    @KuroInfinity can you be more specific and give me the upper limit of your budget as well...There are many parts you an cut down on to save money and still make it decently fast

14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Refurbished laptop is awesome for your needs. Basically it allows you to get a higher spec laptop for the same price as a lower spec laptop. I just bought mine for around USD300. Good enough to replace my old laptop, which still runs but the fan is making a very scary sound. If I had splurged and added another USD150, I could've gotten a much better laptop, but I kinda exceeded my expenses back then and I really needed a replacement laptop quickly.

If you're looking for an online purchase, research the specs first. The one I bought is good enough for recent games, but not at its highest setting simply because it only use intel integrated graphics. Those heavy duty games of course can't be played on my laptop. If the only you're looking at has intel processor, look here for comparison between the different processors. It greatly helped me in finding a suitable laptop for my own use. You can even compare between different chips if you're not sure.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/50072,52213

Just search for the processor in the search box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.