Discussion How Bloodthirst/Killing Intent works in fantasy novels ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alyuna, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyuna

Alyuna Tactical Dove, Best Birb

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to write/type some fantasy of my own to fulfill my delusional needs and I want to include some fantasy bloodthirst in it. I don't know how it works, I confused about bloodthirst and how to add it in my delusion story.

I see, read, and hear about bloodthirst/killing Intent from novels, comics, and animation... A lot of stuff out there feature bloodthirst in the story like it was common sense to everyone and not all of them exlpain this phenomenon.

Bloodthirst or Killing Intent is an intention to kill/shed blood/hurt others and some says it is a pure desire to kill. This definition works IRL, maybe...
    How can you explain some weird situation like these in some fantasy novels ?
    - Character A can locate his/her enemy location by sensing enemy's killing intent
    - Character B unleashed his/her bloodthirst, this makes their opponent hesitant to attack B
    - Character C aimed his killing intent to specific person and scared him/her
    - Character D feels overwhelmed/ have Deja vu about being killed by his/her opponent bloodthirst
    How can you sense other people intention ? Mind reading ? Their bodies emitting aura when they want to kill ? If an Intention to kill can be sensed in supernatural/weird ways, then should all intention can be sensed too ? Like for example thirst for love, kind intentions, intention to surrender, etc. If all characters have 6th sense to detect all of this, dense and indecisive character that have this trait is impossible to create (Dense and OP MC should be never existed).

If I include realistic bloodthirst like IRL in my story, it will be soo obvious and won't be fun at all (not fun for me)
    My opponents are pointing their gun at me, The homicidal psychopath are strangling me, I am being chased by a dangerous carnivore, blah... blah...
    The bloodthirst/killing intent can only described with characters actions and situations. This is not what am I aiming for, I want to include 'weird situation' like above but I don't know how. How to set the rule and to balance it ? How to make bloodthirst interesting without making it ridiculous ?

How Bloodthirst/Killing Intent works in fantasy novels ?

Forgive me for torturing your eyes and brains with my poor grammar skills, don't worry about my poor grammar cuz I won't write my story in english... I'll write in my country national language probabbly

2. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya know the look a jealous gf gives to a good looking girl who talks to her bf?....it's said that, that kind of killing intent cannot even be replicated by trained martial artists.

asriu, Someguy666, Arcelia and 10 others like this.
  3. Pleasantly-plump

Pleasantly-plump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer the term bloodlust to bloodthirst. Bloodthirst sounds like something a blooddrinker would say.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  4. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    It works how the author intends it to.

5. Falhrus

Falhrus Avoiding enemies is hard work y'know?

Reading List:
    Link
    What if the jealous gf was a trained martial artist?

asriu, Arcelia and Nyarlathotep like this.
  6. jw287962

jw287962 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see it as animals innate perception of feeling someone's desire to kill because living is just that important. I guess it's like a human seeing a tiger and when they stare you down and you can feel 'predator' vibes from it. You know they after you.
    Like I guess you can just see it through eyes? A skill passed down through time? Like a smile indicating happiness??
    Idk. Kinda makes me think of spidey senses too xD.
    And for long distance it's like feeling someone looking at you even if you aren't looking at them? But for killing intent instead. Just survival instincts hone through life death sitiations I guess.

7. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    RIP bf...you will not be remembered

Falhrus likes this.
  8. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    You've never heard of a deer sensing a hunters gun aim upon it without him making a sound? It's an animal instinct. Instinct! Cultivators are basically super powered humans, it would make sense that they'd be able to "sense" killing intent. Killing intent can be seen as a sort of field of sorts. Hence the ability to focus it upon one individual. You control your intent after all. And that individual who is focused upon has instincts too. Whether a character can FIND the source of the killing intent depends on the strength of the character or the desire of the author.

asriu and Alyuna like this.
  9. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You thought trained martial artists, grandmasters, patriarchs etc are scary? Nothing is more scary than a psychotic yanderes for me.... but I love reading yandere(s) stories lol.

Alyuna likes this.
  10. Alyuna

Reading List:
    Link
    that was just jealousy, a jealousy her bf must aware of
    This works IRL, how it works in 'weird situations' ?

- Character A can locate his/her enemy location by sensing enemy's killing intent
    - Character B unleashed his/her bloodthirst, this makes their opponent hesitant to attack B
    - Character D feels overwhelmed/ have Deja vu about being killed by his/her opponent bloodthirst

If an Intention to kill can be sensed in supernatural/weird ways or by instinct, then should all intention can be sensed too ?
    Whether a character can FIND the source of the killing intent depends on the strength of the character or the desire of the author.
    This strength, I want to describe this but I don't know how... They ended ridiculous in my minds

11. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a thin line between jealousy and killing intent....really thin.

Alyuna likes this.
  12. Allchemic

Allchemic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aura. Killing intent is like a aura that forms around a person. People that kill a lot naturally form it around them, so they end, unconsciously, leaking it. If you can sense it you can find the person that you are searching, and if you leak a lot of it people will get scared and etc.

Alyuna likes this.
  13. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ....i thought is more instinct based, like how animals will react to natural disasters, a little bit like an extra sense though.

To emit killing intent is a little too bs for me, yes you can stare at a person's back until he/she feels something, but to actually influence the surrounding and its people is esper range of bs.

Alyuna likes this.
  14. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    first off feeling blood thirst is real at an instinctual level desu~
    learning to active let that out takes a hell lot a time desu~
    but it can happen desu~
    by either
    • devotion/training/and not being a weaboo..
    • being hit in the head as a child to luckily awaken some form of primal instinct dormant in all humans
    • being abandoned in the woods and raised by animals desu~
    • drugs
    • ^
    yep thats it desu~

15. Abhis

Abhis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try droping food on bed or sofa in front of ur mom and u will know what it is in real life also ;P

16. han2xiah

han2xiah [NightDweller][MoonlightScavenger][Li'lCrazy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Killing intent or bloodlust is like an aura of you feel or release. It can affect things around you. A weak willed will tremble like when he see a vicious animal ready at claw him/her. Strong willed will feel a little intimidated. A person who fought life and death many time or one with strong perception will sense the intent and be normal. Just like when your girl at you she will only.look atyou and you feel weak. That how it works

17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how I considered it for my novel. Maybe it will help.

I see it like a door/water bottle and aura which works like water. To give an example.

= Door opens up, aura/water flows out and can be detected based on direction of the water flow. Of course it requires skill to know the patterns of the waves and origin.

= When others want to attack B, they open their doors. B opens his door. B being stronger has more water that has a bigger water pressure. So now all the other doors/bottles get flooded with B's water/aura. Thus those hostile feel much more pressure due to open doors, while those not just feel discomfort.

= Letting lose high pressure water against the door lets out a "I'm coming for you" as the opponent feels intense pressure knocking on the door. Kind of like in those scary movies where someone is knocking on your door. (now due to how pressure works, things move from more pressure to less pressure. So if your pressure is weaker, you will be hearing far larger bangs on the door, if they are weaker than you, then you would barely feel it)

= When the other door is completely flooded with D's water, it overfloods showing a piece of intention that fills up the water. Thus they would hallucinate as their will is filled with D's will in the water.

Noor, ShimizuA and Alyuna like this.
  18. Alyuna

Reading List:
    Link
    Devotion and training sounds a bit far-fetched for me
    but
    The Lizard Brain, Tarzan way of life, Drugs, Instinct, and Auras.. This is a lot of material to works on this bloodthirst thing

any Ideas how to balance it ?
    The more stronger the more they can hide and detect bloodthirst ? > this is so common and have no explanation at all

does Rock-Paper-Scissor system a good idea ? for example : If blood thirst was an aura, the way you hide and detect for each species is unique and each have weakness and advantage over other species

or any ideas to balance this bloodthirst ?

19. Alyuna

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a detailed one ! Thank you ! This will help me a lot in understanding this.

Really, thank you !

20. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    the term is experience in actually killing things that mental image sticks desu~

Alyuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.