Discussion How do I buy Flickr?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of you may know, some of you don't, but Yahoo has now been acquired by Verizon. They are now being bunched together with AOL under the same management. But what about Yahoo's acquisitions like here? http://gizmodo.com/heres-what-happened-to-all-of-marissa-mayers-yahoo-acqu-1781980352

I know a lot of them are now defunct and all of the employees either went to work for yahoo or leave altogether. I also know that a lot of them left when Marisa Mayer implemented one of her controversial policies. But surely, the servers, the datas, the softwares and the backups should still be there.

So hypothetically, how would I go about buying one of these defunct acquisitions? By this, I'm not expecting it comes with the employees, but it would come with the brand name, the server, the backups and its proprietary software. For example, if I buy Flickr, I would get Flickr, its contents, the userbase and data in its entire server and backups.

Let us consider that they have no problem selling it to me.

So for those who do know these things, assuming I want to buy it and I have the money, how would I go about actually buying it?

Also, out of the many in the list of stuff that Yahoo bought, which one would you want to buy off Yahoo.

2. Casi

Casi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't actually know but I imagine, you have to go thru some lawyers and stuff and you buy it for 1 dollar, but you also acquire all their debts, lol

Is it like that?

Ai chan likes this.
  3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I do know something like that happen often. For example, AirAsia was bought at RM1 and the purchaser also inherited the airline's debts, assets and employees still on contract. But that's an independent business, not part of a now defunct acquisition.

Casi likes this.
  4. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    You're making the assumption that all the data you want still exists, and that if it does, it's still in the hands of the same people who currently own Flickr. That's not neccessarily the case, just fyi. It's entirely possible everythings been chopped up piecemeal and bought by different companies. This isn't all that unusual, really. Getting all the stuff you would want could become a nightmare.

Ai chan likes this.
  5. Casi

Casi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... Actually, when I was younger, I went to a shady warehouse with my uncle, who is not actually my uncle, to pick up like 300 keyboards or typewriters and cash was exchanged, it took hours to move all of it into a truck. Now that I think about it must be something like this I guess.

I think he was called a procurer or something, I guess it's just eBay nowadays