How hard should i work at work?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Exterial, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
?

so... how fast does time fly by at work?

1. depends on the job

37 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. slow as shit god i hate my job

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. as long as you never look at the time and keep working it's aight

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. recite novels in your head that'll help

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. ^^wait no don't do that it'll distract you

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    So i'm going to a school right?
    But it's a special school.
    It's for highschool dropouts and when we're done we will get the same thing you would get when finishing highschool nothing less.
    Edit: (ok i'm not 100% its highschool, here in germany he have no such thing just number im just saying highschool since the age requirements fit. In germany its 9th grade, after that you can essentially find work or go to a different special school to learn about work, f.e i could if i wanted to become a doctor after this, so im just assuming its high school)
    But, because it's designed for dropouts and it's funded completely by the government it's not a normal school.
    See because it's designed for dropouts most people there will only finish this then look for work and not try to go higher, there are exceptions of course.
    But anyway because of that the way the school is designed is like this.
    Monday and friday we have normal school lessons, however tuesday wednesday and thursday we go to work.
    We essentially work for free, we had to find the work place ourself.
    Working for free like this tho is normal in germany, people often do it just to get a feel if they would like a certain job or not, it's called "praktikum" in germany no idea if an english equivellant exists and too lazy to google it.
    Anyway the place i found is just a normal supermarket, well not exactly normal they dont really sell food just basically a little bit of everything.
    Anyway i dont plan to work there in the future, but im not getting a better praktikum place with me only having had a month to look and literally straight Fs in everything (was in school for the first 2 months or so, after that literally not a single day more hence straight Fs).
    But anyway, the place is literally right outside my house door and i get to start at 10am, finish at 17 or 18 not quite sure yet.
    So its great and all, and i will most likely only have to put things on shelves.
    Now here comes the tricky part, we WILL get a certificate from the workplace after the year is done (you can also switch to a different place after a few months or get kicked out).
    And such a certficate will always be helpfull in the future when i go looking for a job, so in a way this special school could be considered better than the normal one since 1 year work experience is always good.
    And it doesnt matter where i go to try and find a job in the future, if the certificate says that i'm the most hardworking and best employee in the world that will always help.
    But, how hard should i work?
    Should i work like a god doing everything in turbo mode and being the perfect example of employee of the month, or should i only be about 70% of that?
    I'm not sure.
    And another thing i'd like to ask, any tips to making time fly faster?
    If there's anything i'm worried about it's me being stuck there for what feels like an eternity even tho only an hour has passed that would really suck.
    Overall just need some advice for how to act at work.
    Oh yeah and while i said we dont get paid by the workplace the school itself gives us 100€ which is better than nothing.
    I'm about to head out in 25mins btw since it's 9:28 when i'm posting this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Rae

Rae ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Reading List:
    Link
    Try liking your own job as much as possible, it'll help you motivated.
    its great that another country has a place like that, in my country there's much people that only receive 9 year or shorter education.
    Edit : work 70% like you say yourself. if you too motivated, usually it'll incite hatred of other people

AMissingLinguist and iCataclysm like this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    This is more useful than learning normally like how I do. For 12 freaking years. Then uni. *chokes*

Be "average" like the c rank hunter Mile.
    Don't try too hard, but also don't slack

4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do your best. Slacking off or holding back is merely an excuse so you could think "I am better than that. As long as I work hard enough I am going to excell at stuff"

5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Work like your life depend on it

6. Silveus

Silveus Never Drinks Mana Pots

Reading List:
    Link
    Typing this on my phone so it's going to be a disaster.

I spent 5 year at a supermarket, it was... fun sometimes, but mostly it sucked. I don't know how series things are in Germany, but in yhebusa, everyone knows it's a garbage job, and no one really takes it serious.

that isn't to say you should complexity blow it off, but you also do not need to run yourself ragged.

Come in in time, do what is asked of you, be helpful, occasionally volunteer if theybasknfor something. But if they go, hey can you work 16 hours straight, feel free to say no. If you made plan for later on, and theybasknfor to stay because someone called out, consider it at least.

One piece of advice I will give, is try and learn everything you can. There is no useless knowledge, later on in life you will shop at a grocery store, so knowing how it works on the inside is helpful. How to get tue best deal, how to make sure you arent getting Questionable seafood, what the magic words are when you need help.

That phrase, the customer is always right? That's a lie, a dirty dirty lie. The customer is wrong 90%of the time, and you'll need to deal with it.

7. Polokrik

Polokrik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, Try Hard only when you see something like a potential promotion or a project that you like, if you are doing na internship or shit like that just do your job, don't give too many new ideas, it's not worth it nor rewarding.

8. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    The more you'll look at that damn clock, you know the harder it is going to be. Also, don't forget to smile like a fool and beware of the customers.

9. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do what you're told to do, no more no less. If you're too lazy you'll get scolded, but if you're too diligent they will give you more work to do (more work but no raise in pay, unless it's a promotion which usually only happened when someone above kicked out or retired or the company is opening a new branch).

10. MarSprite

MarSprite <Impossible to Gauge>

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your overseer really. Try to do whatever will be the most satisfying to them. Try to always be caught working when they lay eyes upon you.
    The USA term for working without pay for practice is called Interning, you call someone doing it an intern. Another free worker would be a volunteer, that's someone doing a job as a charity.
    Try to reach for more education, your dropout school kind of sounds like a dead end for dreams. Aim higher. If you can't do that, try to find a job you enjoy doing, or a job that will lead you to a job you believe you will enjoy doing.

mir, AMissingLinguist and Astaroth like this.
  11. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    If you love what you do, give 120%!
    If not... Just 90% is fine.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm 99% certain that bootlicking is the answer

the expanded answer is basically this:
    and of course take their personality into account, for instance some people are just grumpy and they won't be thankful for anything. so don't get your hopes up too high if they've already decided to give you a low score or whatever since the beginning.

13. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    Work to live, not live to work

Astaroth likes this.
  14. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    work for what you are paid. If you get paid shit. Work like shit
    paid good. work good.
    simple

15. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Germany!!! Heil @L4 !!!

Kamerad @L4 give this junior about German perfection!!

16. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man you're so fucked XD
    Once you enter one of those scools it's like the system officially announced you're a defect that shall be disposed of and will only het shitty jobs like the one you got.
    Else you become a bootlicker in order to find a decent job.

Astaroth and prongsjiisan like this.
  17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing. Life almost never gives you a job you are happy about. You just have to make yourself to like the job.

18. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    If it was me, i'll just gonna a find a shop belonging to some friends or relatives and get the certificate.. slacking off at work or not working at all and get the 100€ per month.
    /!\ Do not follow my example.

19. iCataclysm

iCataclysm [Sleepy Slime] [Skullie's Unwilling Pokemon no.2]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm intern-ing as part of the school curriculum and I can tell you that I absolutely dislike the job. It just doesn't fit my personality... I'd very much like to sit at the desk and work with data than to go out and meet with clients everyday.

So how hard should I work? Enough so I don't get scolded and have my performance rated poorly

Rae likes this.
  20. luckyman89

luckyman89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do what you are required to do. I kinda doubt if you can work hard just because you want to work hard since you can't even go to school when you have to go to school lol. At the very least you don't want them to say you are bad and then you can't get any jobs afterward. But better think what you want to do afterwards, if you don't want to study at least get an apprenticeship on a trade or something. Or work on hospitality, at least it will get you jobs if you plan to backpack around Europe.