Question How many words should each chapter have?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by seojustin, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seojustin

seojustin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the advice!

2. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't CNs normally use 3K words per chapter? I could be wrong...

3. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is some advice

4. Silveus

Silveus Never Drinks Mana Pots

Reading List:
    Link
    The story i am writing on RRL has 11 chapters, and they are...

Words long
    Generally, you'll find that as your story progresses and you get more comfortable in it, chapter length will often rise. But you'll note i have two chapters of around 2500 mixed in in there, that happens too for chapters that are transitioning scenes and the like.

As a rule, chapters should be however long they need to be to convey what you want. Never just cut a chapter because you think it's too long. You might want to look the chapter over and see if there is filler that could be removed, but never, ever, just go, this needs to be 4k words and its currently 5k words, lets cut 20% of it away.

Likewise, never force extra words in for no reason. Don't add filler, don't add pointless descriptions, just don't. If the chapter is actually 400 words or something, consider either combining it with another chapter or call it an intermission chapter.

5. novelwhore

novelwhore Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Non-writer / reader only opinion incoming do not take my advice seriously as it is just personal bias and preference:
    Typically I prefer works with slightly longer chapters ( <5000 ) but, this is just my preferences and you should focus on making the chapter the size it needs to be to get your point across. Also, please do not leave the readers hanging for a long period of time and drop the novel without telling them, indefinite hiatus is fine, but please tell the reader and honestly say if the story is going to be dropped and do not leave them hanging.
    Thank you for letting me ramble on and do not take what I said to heart.

Silveus likes this.
  6. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    You should think of chapters not as word count but instead into events
    what this means is that the chapter should encompass an event that you want to tell within you story . think of them as mini arcs example
    a bank robbery- you can tell the bank robbery as a single chapter or you can divide it into 3 chapters planning- execution of the plan - aftermath. it all depends on you and the pacing you want to give in your story

7. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think your concern should be word count. Your main objective is not wasting time with your readers with filler chapters. Make sure you get your story across and have each chapter content work for the overall story. It does't matter if it's short just as long as there was a reason for it. For example, a pivotal moment where you show your main antagonist killing a village with a horde of demons. That doesn't really need a lengthy word count.

Well, in the end, it will all depend on you. I have no idea how your writing style would be but I'm definitely one of those people who don't like filler chapters where nothing at all happens.

8. Silveus

Silveus Never Drinks Mana Pots

Reading List:
    Link
    This is so important. Sometimes life happens, sometimes you realize you hate the story youre writing, sometimes you shatter both of your hands in an street fight. Who knows. but if you can not continue, post a chapter saying that. If you normally update every 2 weeks, and more than 3 times that has passed, make an update going saying you're still alive and a chapter will be out whenever. Don't just leave the reader's in limbo.

If you've got a story out on the internent, you obviously want people to read it. So show them the same respect you want them to show you.

9. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Most webnovel author tend to write 2000 to 10,000 words. Just find which you are comfortable with. It doesn't have fix format.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... I think that any amount is fine, but it's good to have some consistency on chapter length.

Aiming for consistency is good IMO, but you shouldn't be bound by it... If you usually make chapters around 3k words, don't feel strange if one suddenly gets 6k... Think about it and decide rather or not you should split it into 2 chapters... Consistency is nice, but it's not necessary.

At least that's my view.

11. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure translators usually say they have to translate around 3000 words and if the chapter is longer then it could go up to 4000 words. Do a word count on some novel chapters to get a rough idea maybe~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.