Discussion hypothetical question about Qi payment to translator in future

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by invincibleDebster, Jun 9, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincibleDebster

invincibleDebster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I have a hypothetical question to all of you imagine in near future some popular Cn novel have 100 thousand readers that are reading by paying. Imagine per chapter cost to be the same as munpia do in Korea I.e.0.1 dollar per chapter so Qi will earn 10 thousand dollar per chapter of that popular novel.
    Now I wanted to ask everyone how much will translator will earn since they might have signed contract few years back and they may be still paid 50 dollar per chapter so that will be too cruel for translators.
    Since I don't know too much about Qi contract you can correct me or provide info about that.
    I mean if Qi is earning 10,000 per chap and give 2000 dollars to translator it will make them super rich but by the current contract I don't know how much they will earn?
    Please don't retort with saying that the above hypothetical situation is impossible and what not.
    I am just curious in this case how much money Qi will give to translators?

2. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...how would we know? go write an email to qidian or something and ask them.

3. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    well the international part is currently not making profit so this question is pretty open ended I would assume not much more than current prices as Qi is well, stingy with money. If you find the contracts on here somewhere they link to some of the financial parts.

4. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    £1 for 10 chapters? novels are an addiction ik but I'm sorry im living off my parents :(

AkeShiro likes this.
  5. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a hypothetical question, he's not asking for a literal answer...probably

6. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    You got it!
    I just make this post because i was curious about that.

7. Comfortabull

Comfortabull Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they were smart about it they would have negotiated for flat rate or a percentage, whichever is higher. That way if the novel sucks and no one wants to pay for it, they still get paid for their time, but if it does well and has lots of readers they won't get short changed.

But that is assuming there is good faith going on in the negotiations, and from what we've seen and heard, Qidian isn't exactly being forthright with everyone.

8. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't know there are some Qi underlings like that jungle lucien and other that can answer that.
    And I am not much interested that i would contact them hang they even don't clarify the mess they created but i will thank them because some past weeks have clear my boredom.

9. kyzer

kyzer ⚠The Rebellion Stalker⚠

Reading List:
    Link
  10. kestroll

kestroll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would think that it would not be much.qidian has responsibilities to the ip creator/author first. Maybe a bump (from 40 to 45) for future translations due to the speed/reader base?

11. Deleted member 36162

Deleted member 36162 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well , what do you expect from Qidian which is a new Species of vampires that feeds on novel readers .

12. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
  13. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think Qi is paying ckatalon that amount of money But much more otherwise he wouldn't have went to Qi.
    Also If Qi profits 10,000 dollars from single chapter and give 50 dollar to translator doesn't this is daylight robbery?
    Then again if translators earn 2000 dollars per chapter doesn't this is quite awesome.
    I mean a full time translator can earn 1 lakh dollar per month by just translating 50 chaps but i don't think they will paid them that much

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm it can be more crueler cuz hello 100k reader that willing to pay~ translator can changed~ heh to gain such willing to pay reader mean qidian have pretty good base~
    or get better around 100~1k~ who know~ it useless to think it hardly cuz it only hypothetical condition~ everything is possible~

15. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    If millions of Chinese can pay and 100 k Koreans can also pay so why not 100 k Americans and Europeans after 10 years can not pay?
    Then again everything is possible i am just curious whether I should learn Chinese if i can earn 1 million dollar per year i might instead studying aerospace might learn Chinese.
    Well that was a joke since with my lazy attitude i will only learn Chinese half heartedly.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Would imagine it to remain similar to now, alternatively maybe rise to a level closer to regular professional translators, don't expect the popularity of the novel to give a perfectly proportional payout for the translator though as it is commissioned work rather than royalty based.

17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    is not about can pay but are they willing to pay for such quality stories? let be honest most reader of WN read cuz it free~ that's why those who donate only few thousand while the one read for free may reach hundreds of thousand~
    if qidian success reach 100k I guess it have system that easy to pay~ that even those who not have credit card can pay it~

18. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm so in this hypothetical case qidian might earn around 10 million dollar from one fully translated 1000 chaps long novel while a translator will earn at most 50k.
    Well in China they earn around 20-30 million dollar from bestsellers.sigh now i can understand why they are billion dollar company.

19. invincibleDebster

Reading List:
    Link
    I will definitely not waste my 100 dollars in reading a mediocre novel fully.
    But there are super rich people who will.

20. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the translator said "authors and translators also need to eat" in facebook when someone complaint about paywall, so I think they will get some precentage.

Problem is, who the hell would pay for that kind of quality translation? I'm fine with J-Novel Club before since they are done by pro, but this one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.