Tutorials & Resources I made a google chrome extension that replaces the pinyin in World of Cultivation

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Em_Rez, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the extension?

1. Yes

90.9%
  2. No

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a bunch of people complaining about the untranslated pinyin in world of cultivation, so in my spare time I made this extension for fun that replaces all (most) of the pinyin with translated english. Of course, it's not perfect, so report any problems or bugs you have with it and I'll try to fix them

Btw, I didn't make it replace "ge" or "ye" to english, since that would have replaced a part in tons of other words as well.

Tell me what you think :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/world-of-cultivation-piny/bbnonihfnnpoafkaanninebcnecdnggl

Also, I heard that people were having even bigger problems with To Be a Virtuous Wife, so I was planning to add the pinyin in there to replace as well and update the extension, but I took a look at the enormous plethora of untranslated words and kind of got a headache so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

sufod01, Clyne, Shio and 5 others like this.
  2. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A gentle(wo)man and a scholar.

I dropped Virtuous Wife awhile ago because I could not remember the pinyin for the life of me. Having to reference a glossary ruins the experience. I might end up reading it again if you do end up implementing it.

3. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say it's unnecessary since there are footnotes and the terms are properly explained. It takes out the cultural 'feels' the novel gives if you do that. I personally have no problem with referring to a glossary when I don't remember a term, and after reading a term a bunch of times, you'll usually remember it whether you want it or not.

4. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but if using this inspires people to read this awesome story when they otherwise wouldn't have, I think that's good. Go with your preference.

5. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    And that is why I don't read translated CN. I dunno why but I can't remember pinyin even if my life depended on it. But LN is perfectly fine... I remember most of them, odd.

Anyways, thanks for it even if I won't use it.

6. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is completely my opinion, but I believe that leaving so many words and phrases untranslated is rather unprofessional. (Before anyone starts drafting their angry PM, yes, I realize I am criticizing a free, non-professional work. Yes, they are doing a labor of love, etc.)

Translators are meant to interpret the source language into a form that is understandable to the target audience. When you play games, read subtitles in a movie, or read novels that have been professionally translated, there are little to no footnotes/sidenotes. While some of this occurs because of limitations of the media's form, for lack of better phrasing, translations are expected to be translated.

I could go on, but I won't, since this isn't really what this thread is about. Some people will use the extension and others won't.
    By the way, @mrezman, any chance for a Firefox release?

readerz and Slimikyi like this.
  7. rhezes

rhezes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nice work MRezman..keep it up.
    your work is amazing..help lots of people that not good enough at remembering things ( its me ) or lazy..
    for those who want original feeling..its no use to you

8. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Remy-san, that is very true. But then, sometimes it's just outside of the translator's capability. But of course, at most of the times, it's just laziness.

Anyways, I'm totally part of the group that supports replacing all those original feelings with translated feelings because I also don't want the original grammar (broken English).

remy911 likes this.
  9. superposhposh

superposhposh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wot, so many other translated CN stories have much less pinyin in their stories. You should go check them out!

Slimikyi likes this.
  10. Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy I hope they serve beer in Hell..

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks

Needed it

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moved to tutorial for better visibility.

12. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is really awesome
    thx dude

13. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lot of translated classical literature and yes, professional translators never have as many untranslated words as To Be a Virtuous Wife. It can't be helped since it's just a fan translation but I hope other amateur translators don't follow suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.