I need help with creating website, all tips appreciated

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by 2835476, Jul 31, 2017.

1. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to create a new website, but i am a total noob.

I would appreciate all the tips and tricks people can give.

My goal is to have the website up and running within 2-3 months i hope.

I will start from scratch and make a website that is stable i hope and available internationally.

I will listen to all recommendations and tips and advices with an open mind and clear space.

I welcome all with an interest, desire and knowledge who would want to be on board.

I will share my goal of the website once i have people who want the same thing as me.

We shall create a website for all, with fairness, quality, and freedom as the basis.

If someone qualified wants to take over the website creation and ownership i would gladly hand it over as long as we have the same vision for the website.

Will accept all moderators with a will to be part of something great.
    All moderators have to have basic decision making capability, with fairness to all(Not helping the strong against the weak) and a sound judgement of moral and ethical compass that will guide their decisions the right way.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Setra likes this.
  2. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a bit too vague imho.

3. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you help me understand what "imho" stands for, i am really curious!

4. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    "In my humble opinion".

5. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is probably the best abbreviation of a sentence i have ever learned :)
    imho haha

6. icad

icad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really understand what you mean, but maybe you can learn programming for web development if you aren't already or start googling "How to make a website?" , there are plenty of guides in google i think

7. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link

its 10 years old and has all the basics. if you can read a xml file you can make a website
    Edit what is better is just
    https://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

w3 is the source for all web development
    its also interactive letting you try stuff that they show you

8. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice - if you are not geek and not into programming as a job in general aka full-stack and so on - just use some already made platform and customize it.

Well if you find a team with ui + backend skills then you might have a chance to do it from scratch aka "hello world" page.

You can do that alone - but I doubt it would be anywhere near production in 2-3 months.

9. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    Well nothing is made from scratch anymore for web, it just a lot of copy pasta and you are completely making web dev sound harder then it is. if you don't get crazy with jscript or other stuff its very easy especially with css grid now being support on all non mobile browsers so a mobile version is needed.

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't need any backend just use a WYSIWYG editor. It makes making front end for pages as simple as using Word.

11. 1amdude

1amdude Nakamatu Agraulek

Reading List:
    Link
    what "things" do you want?

12. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i want to create a website where i can upload my own story of fiction or anything similar to that, while also allowing other people to share theirs.

13. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i am a complete beginner and noob at all of this i just wanted to create a website where i can post my own story and let other people share their stories(Original works) with a forum and a homepage where the most popular and frequent released stories will be highlighted.

Kinda like WXW but of original novels and stories.

14. 1amdude

1amdude Nakamatu Agraulek

Reading List:
    Link
    I see.should you just start the website and upload the story first? then when there's traffic, expand the site slowly.

15. Daruda

Daruda [Heavenly Frog] [Grumpy] [Contemplative]

Reading List:
    Link
  16. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not making it harder. I just don't have illusions that random combination of frameworks will give you decent result just because it is modern days. Ok some things allow you with small number of steps get some decent result, but why then team consisting of 5-6 are unable to deliver the application in 2-3 months them? It is easy after all. Developing functionally is not that easy.

What I mean is that even with all those frameworks it does not mean that in 2-3 months you will be able to write your own wordpress or vbulletin. It is much more than just "some html". Yeah, nobody uses for example raw `css` maybe as there is Sass\Less and its support in Bootstrap. Nobody writing their own web components with the existence of Angular, React, Vue, Ember etc. etc. Some did not even rely that hard on backend written in Java/C# with corresponding framework, ORMs or whatever and use node.js with javascript (not sure what languages it support as I use servlet containers and java) or just use Spring boot and use everything out of the box and so on and so on.

You can write in 2-3 months a good website if your skills are on higher than intermediate on every level but expecting to write royalroad...

17. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    well if its been written functionality first looks later 90% of the work would be with back end dbs. Also don't use random frameworks you need to know what tech you would be using at the beginning Functionally a solo beginner can have a website that has some of the basic core features of sites like rrl with php now it won't look pretty but it would work. it would be full of security holes and barely working but hey its something and good enough for an early prototype. Hell i had a friend in high school(this was a intro into web dev class) make a forum/meme site within a week with html,php and css. there was a text chat plugin that was jscript but that was it. everyone kept slamming it to break it, so he learned how to put some security features in it.

18. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to make a site to upload stories you wrote or other stuff like that, you could just get wordpress or joomla or even something concrete5. Those should help you with the front end creation of your site, as for the back end go check those that provide server hosting.

Haven't touch web design for while so my info could be outdated.

19. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the information, very helpful :)