I want to learn programming

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MrNebulist, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only learnt the basics of BASIC a while back in high school, and I want to learn the basics of programming and hopefully something that will be useful in the future ( app building or web pages design). Can you recommend courses that'll help me learn basic programming and isn't obsolete :)

predictingthings likes this.
  2. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    I learn programming here: codecademy.com

It depend on what's your purpose for learning but you can learn c or html for starter.

3. Rapacity

Rapacity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    predictingthings and MrNebulist like this.
  4. rleon

rleon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have android, go to playstore -> learn java

You can learn other programming there too.
    P.s: codeacademy have not complete course. Its good in the beginning. But not good because its not complete

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    predictingthings and MrNebulist like this.
  5. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Reddit.com/r/learnprogramming. You can read the faq there for a good intro.

6. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    University, maybe?

7. bartsimpsons

bartsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wrong place to ask. go ask google-sensei

8. mhdrkbalm

mhdrkbalm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    W3schools is prob the best place to get started on web languages and solo learning would be a good place to start learning java, c# and c++ as it gives you quizzs to help understand the theory you just learnt learn.

9. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want something that will be useful and has lots of job openings. Learn both front-end and back-end. C# and Full Stack has a lot of job openings (I am looking for a job right now). I took game and software development at my college so I have little web experience and that has cut down on the jobs I can get.
    Udemy has some courses if you are willing to pay. There are sales where almost every single course is $10.
    Youtube has some good tutorials too but sometimes those people have bad coding practices.

10. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed I used codeacademy and it really helped. There's also a lot of free courses on google. I also suggest Youtube. There's incredible tutorials.
    If you just want to learn for fun i recommend to learn game programming. Its similar stuff but more fun. FYi: most people learned these stuff online then at school

11. congvthc

congvthc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    youtube is your mentor in learning things :), google too

12. CloudDaoist

CloudDaoist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Brackeys ytube channel have very good basic about c#

13. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    C is out of date. Go c++ or c#

predictingthings and Dupe2718 like this.
  14. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing in this world can move you forward further than the incentives of making your own personal projects...

You have no idea how many hours I spent programming for a game back in junior high that I've never finished...(this is an era before google sensei and open codes mind you) But it got me started on programming that by the time i was in college, i could debug almost any program under any language.

My suggestion? Ask people around what they need, try to make programs for free.

Dupe2718, chencking and MrNebulist like this.
  15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    College is a great start

16. Dirav

Dirav Happy Commoner.. \(°•,°)/

Reading List:
    Link
    What i do is maybe a little weird. I want to code but i didnt know about it and too lazy to start. So, i look for a client, discussing for some kind of apps (web app and android app combination), then i said i can build it.

After that, he gave me part of money, and i use the money and the drive, to learn programming and start a team. Not a smooth start at the beginning but my first project is in about 50% progress right now.

17. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of game were you making? I tried making a web game to play with friends during college (the kind that you program and run from a java IDE) but couldn't figure out how to access the web. My drive died when I appropriated it for a college project and the crappy language killed my AI.

18. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    edX and coursera provide some good online classes for programming

19. blackhawkrider

blackhawkrider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on my personal experience for "web pages design", most companies are still working with older technologies like JSP/Servlet. There are some that are slowly migrating to JSF Framework like IceFaces or Primefaces. Regarding on general application development and so on; it mostly depends on which company you are working for. For example, if you decide to go for game development, then you would benefit more by studying C# and C++ which is most common in this field.

I am not sure what you are studying program for so it is difficult to give advice on this. However, regardless of learning programming as a hobby or as a career, it is important to least gain a basic understanding of the fundamentals behind programming in general. All programs, from high level languages to low level languages have four common points. These are syntax, variables, control structure, and data structure. Once you fully understand these four things, then you can practically learn any programming language.

Basically, instead of focusing on languages that "isn't obsolete", it is better study up on the foundation for programming in general. Personally, I don't recommend using online sources as a method to learn programming but it is great for catching up on all the languages you might have forgotten. If you don't desire to purchase any soft/hard copy of a book, then I recommend you to search for topics that are similar to this list:
    1. Computer networking - Not required to study to learn how to program but it is an interesting topic.
    2. Logic and Computer Design Fundamentals - Also not required, however, it does help you understand how the computer "logic" works.
    3. Object Oriented Approach to Programming and Design - Recommended because it will help you gain an understanding of how programming languages like Java, Python, C++, etc. works. Most commonly used languages for both hobbyist and the industry uses Object Oriented Programming Languages.
    4. UNIX - Recommended because this is the most commonly used environment for programmers.
    5. SQL and PL/SQL - Recommended because SQL and/or PL/SQL is used everywhere.

20. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think much of you ethically for promising something you have no clue how to do. That's called a scam btw.