I want to learn programming

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MrNebulist, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. blackhawkrider

blackhawkrider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that a reference to a certain light novel lol?

2. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

3. ZedOud

ZedOud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Java for Android development, Swift of iOS, C# for game programming, Python for everything else.

predictingthings likes this.
  4. ZedOud

ZedOud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I cannot overemphasize how much you should focus on Python unless you are interested in developing for:
    • Native Android
    • Native iOS
    • 3d Gaming

5. dafortminor

dafortminor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to college and find a good professor, will help you the most. Websites and other sources help if you are quick to pick up materials and comprehend it, if not you will have to go to college or university to understand the meaning behind certain structures and code.

6. ZedOud

ZedOud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, so time to give someone an advice off the beaten path of the popular online MOOCs (Coursera, edX, Codecademy, and Udacity).

Try MIT's 6.00.x courses. They're good. I first learned Python through them. And Prof. Grimsson is one of the best teachers I know.

"Wow," you say. "MIT? You'd have to get student loans and mad STEM skillz to even get there!" Well, yes. If we're talking about enrolling in MIT, that is. Good news is, they've made many of their course materials available online (for free!) through their OpenCourseWare program. Some of these even have lecture videos. And unlike the courses from MOOCs, their Intro to CS and Programming even touches on the subject of algorithm complexity - they show you how to use the big-O notation. Pretty cool.

8. Desired397

Desired397 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...are you serious? That's like saying "don't Learn to bake bread, it's so out of date, just learn to bake croissants"
    Do you even know how much of your every day electronics and devices run using old school tech like Unix and C? I'll give you a hint (it's most of them).
    That aside, a solid combo would be to learn Java and Python. Two solid languages that are good to know (for jobs and for reg old projects)

9. blackhawkrider

Reading List:
    Link
    True but it can be learned through self-study. However, I guess things would be simpler to ask a professor regarding certain theories or methodologies in programming.

10. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was tryin to make an adventure game using buttons.
    Mind you buttons in my days mean you have to implement the coordination of rectangles and color fill.

chencking likes this.
  11. blackhawkrider

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite resources to learn from while I was in the University lol

12. justmehere

Reading List:
    Link
    Well technically speaking,
    That would be a bad analogy. C is an outdated language. Using c or c# will produce the same program. Both creates bread, but one uses the old french method that you can use you bread to hammer your nails in.

If you want to compare flour and bread, that would be assembly language and c#. Nobody in the right mind want to code in assembly language. Even my professor who taught my assemblu language class told us if you ever get a job that involves assembly language, just quit!

13. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would try html first. It's an easier language to learn.

14. Freakazoid

Freakazoid Freakazoid member

Reading List:
    Link
    here are the paths to learn programming

introduction to programming--->HTML5 & NODE--->Pogramming basic Web and PHP--->Pogramming intermidiate Web and PHP--->Pogramming advanced Web and PHP

introduction to programming--->Object-oriented programming--->Basic Java---intermidiate Java--->advanced Java--->development with Mobile Aplications

introduction to programming--->HTML5 & NODE--->Pogramming basic Web and PHP--->development with Mobile Aplications

15. Desired397

Desired397 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, the analogy is a but off but that's not to say that C isnt different from C#. If you are really strapped for time sure go ahead and just learn C#, but in my opinion it creates a more solid foundation if you start with C, learning the basics without any OO related structure and then moving on to C# with its newer conveniences. (Learn to walk before you drive your car, if that analogy is any better)
    It's better to learn why the structure of languages like Java enforce certain rules and syntax instead of just taking it all for granted.

That aside this is a bit off topic from what the OP asked about haha.

predictingthings and justmehere like this.
  16. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what my teacher told me. You can try learning and writing in machine language first since its the basis of everything but I think he just wants to learn something he can use right now. Something that will still be really relevant in the future. Knowing all forms of the language is better but it's a pain. The new versions were upgraded forms for easier use. The easiest to learn that's still easy to use, and used everywhere would probably be html. Web pages are a good place to start.

17. justmehere

Reading List:
    Link
    Well,

I wouldnt want to torture anyone with pointers in c. But i get your point.

18. Anroll

Anroll Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, my newbie companion! i say companion because i have been learning programming for about 3 months now, but i just have like a week of actually learned code stuff, i am a complete noob when it comes to programming i barely know what a library what a variable is, so i can't really guide you through anything.

But!!! I will give you the sites i am currently using to learn, i haven't explored the whole sites that, means i don't fully know what courses they have, i found them on google while searching for stuff i didn't know and found them helpful , they are very easy to understand and are helping my bird brain to understand the little i can, so here we go!:

DEVELOPER MOZILLA

in the learn section says its mostly for wet development, so i think it will fit you just right( i think...), im currently using the javascript section but i'm in the javascript section but i think i skipped quite a lot of tutorials... anyway here it says what to install and sutf it may help you or not... hope it does!

CODEACADEMY!

Its a really simple site, you don't have to know anything about programming you don't have to install anything, it guides you step by step, the explanation is quite easy to understand. I didn't start with html, i started with javascript there, i finished the course in about a day and left the course with an idea of what javascript was about,

NODESCHOOL

I think this one is more advanced... but i started with programming there lol. i barely know anything about the site, but i'm currently doing the node tutorial so i got that going for me, the javascript tutorial there was the first one i ever touched when it comes to programming, i was quite confused at first with almost every word my eye met(also English isn't my first language so you may have a picture now)...

so... yeah... those are the sites i'm currently using, i'm struggling but not that much, i'm hoping from place to place, googling everything i don't understand and dealing with my burning red eyes... BUT ITS QUITE FUN, actually i will grab every page they mention in this thread lol.

I really can't recommend you anything, but im using this program called "visual studio code", i'm told its quite fast... and that's all i know about it hehe...

anyway i can't say "contact me if you need any help", heck i may contact you if I need any help, but if you need a noob buddy to discharge your frustrations just pm lol

19. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool. I tried something similar in java (so it was probably much easier than what you did) and it was hell on a screen.

20. hachiman hikigaya

hachiman hikigaya Semper fidelis

Reading List:
    Link