Misc Idea for a reincarnation novel with WW2 setting

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by gyoga, Jan 5, 2017.

1. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this is my first time posting here, hope I did not make any mistake regarding the forum rules. I'm not a native English speaker so I'm not sure which language I should write in yet. However I would like to hear your opinions on which aspects should be developed further for this story to be interesting.

General idea:

"It was July 1945, Nazi Germany had fallen and the premise of the Japanese Empire was drawing near. Ignoring the obvious defeat, the government still put all their efforts into repelling the Allies' invasion. Emperor Hirohito, prioritizing his throne and the Imperial House's lineage, wished to have the Three Sacred Treasures near him for safekeeping. A small squad of soldiers was sent to retrieve the mirror Yata no Kagami, which was commonly believed to be placed at the Ise Grand Shrine, from Kagoshima. Contradicting to the popular belief, this mirror was not a mere decorative object but an artifact that held immense power. But this power, however, came at the cost of life, that's why sacrifices had to be prepared.

The protagonist was no Japanese. His father was an undercover agent of Viet Minh - a Vietnamese independence movement led by Ho Chi Minh, who lived in Japan with his family. In 1939, the man's activities was discovered by the secret police unit Kempeitai and he got executed together with his wife. The child luckily escaped death at that time thanks to his father's aikijujutsu master - a renowned martial artist named Takeda Sokaku. 6 years later, due to a righteous act, he was imprisoned and his identity was found out. It happened to be convenient for the Army to have more sacrifices so he was taken along with many political prisoners to Hiroshima, the location at which the ritual would be held.

Just when the mass shooting to gather life energy for the artifact was about to begin, an air raid alert was raised. Following the alarm sounds, the atomic bomb exploded and the blast quickly spread. The prisoners struggled against the soldiers to run for their lives. Meanwhile, the protagonist was forced to engaged in a wrestle with the officer that kept the mirror. As the two were swallowed by the fire of hell, the protagonist made a final wish before his consciousness faded away.

If there really is an afterlife, I want to be sensei's real child...

Then he woke up in a small child's body. It took him a while to accept the fact that he had reincarnated and became Takeda Sokaku's child. But something was not right, his master passed away in 1943, how could he meet him again in the future? At that time, he found out a shocking truth: his wish had changed the past, the Axis was never defeated and the world entered a three-way Cold War. But even more shocking, his gender also changed?

This is the story of a (boy) girl who sought a purpose for her newly granted life."

I'm very interested in martial arts myself so I intended for this one to be an action-focused story with added elements of politics, gender bender romance and life enlightenment. I think I'm quite greedy but what's your opinion?

Also, I would like to add a map that shows the world setting but have no idea why I couldn't attach it, it kept saying it's spam.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Or idea: you becme hitler in the middle of the war (1943) you need to win to live

Linbe, Xravia, hammer and 1 other person like this.
  3. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rambo

4. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, but where are the elves?

keklel likes this.
  5. Prolux

Prolux [Specifically Lazy] [Weirdly Motivated]

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds good... just don't like the gender change part.

6. bukubuke

bukubuke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coolio, i would say have references to real world events such as the spanish civil war and somehow make seemingly far apart events tie together.

Like let your imagination go wild and maybe say that the nazis actually etcetc and maybe adolf hitler was a reincarnated strategist from another world BWHAHAHAH

7. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm I think I should have posted this thread in the communication creations, is this fine?

@Zaart that death flag is too much to handle lol

@bukubuke yeah definitely, I use lots of points of divergence to make the war outcome sound at least acceptable

Zaart likes this.
  8. Xravia

Xravia 『Chaos Wizard Of Procrastination 』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit of a stretch as it isn't exactly fantasy and you would need alot of background information to make sure it's factually accurate and consider from what perspective you are writing from... war doesn't have right or wrong.. just winners and losers. There are much better premises if you want to go down any other route.. so unless you are really know alot about world War 2 and can come up with something that hasn't been done in the last 60 or so years (because it a throughly fleshed out period of time ) then I'd suggest a world War 3 storyline instead ;D

ChronaZero likes this.
  9. adislt

adislt fanfic lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite not interstef with genben idea esspecially you ibtend to make it an action story because usually latter genben isuue become not important and just become a decoration plus you intend too add romance, my suggestion just stick on one gender

10. ChronaZero

ChronaZero 《I'm just a Spectator》《monggo mas~ 》

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really need to be accurate but at least you're not making it all fake from a scratch, afterall there's still many unknown/hidden sevret from the WW2~

11. foxkid129

foxkid129 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You must have solid knowledge about WW2 if you wanna make it work out. Gender bend isnt my cup of thing too.

12. AeonicI

AeonicI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As stated above you would need to know a lot about WW2 if you want to write one in this setting. There's also the choice of making up events but you'd need to tell them it didn't really happen.

13. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Xravia thank you, I can't say I'm an expert on WW2 but that's one of my favorite topics and I have done a certain amount of research on why the Axis lost and how the tide could be turned (in theory at least)

@foxkid129 I do know gender bender can be annoying to read but I'm always interested in the idea that women must train in a different way to be as strong as a man, so I would like to test it out

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to make a Nazi theme original fiction as well in the past but coudln't, because I lack facts on WW2 , and Military Arts, and most of all, the theme itself is a taboo to most or some people who might be seriously offended, even though Nazi's have become a meme and an anime troupe which people actually like, except for the genocide part.:unsure:

Try reading Youjo Senki, might help you in technical stuff and also try watching Pumpkin Scissors(anime&manga), gives a good military feel.

gyoga likes this.
  15. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like @Zaart 's idea for a novel...I'd sure as hell read it...I might even reich it...no I did not say all that just for the pun....

Zaart likes this.
  16. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to, you can make the World more different and put the divergent point more farther in the past.
    For example let's say Meiji Constitution in 1890 had a different wording that made, rather than Army-dominated Imperial Japan (militaristic-expansionist), you can have Navy-dominated Imperial Japan (civilian government didn't go batshit on 1930's), in this case, the Navy and not the Army was the one who dominated post-Meiji government.
    Also in the 1918-1922, the Siberian Intervention succeeded divided Rusia into USSR (red) and Siberia Federation (white) due to better Japan UK and USA's intervention. In this case, USA became anticommunist earlier than in RL and taken a more active role (Bolshevik revolution cause a more severe Red Scare). Because of this USA turned a blind eye for the Japanese occupation of Korea, Manchuria and Taiwan. They are allies after all, and the force of Communism must not touch the Pacific Ocean at all cost... LoL. Japan also got some nice Russian territory for their Manchuria expansion... Not Vladivostok though, wanna keep USA happy after all... That Chinese was angry was not an understatement, however (at least they got the Mongols...). Hence Japan and Chinese saber-rattling...
    Japan also found oil in Daqing near Heilongjiang, Manchuria and Siberia Federation would also gladly trade for oil with Japan. So Japan is quite oil happy...
    German will still get badly beaten, but due to American rampant anti-communism, Germany (sadly, no NAZY) and left-over of Austria-Hungaria and collapsing Ottoman was left intact as buffer countries against the damn Communist-Soviet! Even though Britain and France were against, very soon American start arming Germans... Because of this anti-USA sentiment in the Soviets was rather high... That Balkans-Greece became rife with proxy-war between Allies vs Soviet funded-militia was not something that anyone care...
    Establishing a rather crude "domino theory", USA help French and Britain endeavors in the Middle East, as long as they give some cookies to USA and stop communism from spreading. In exchange, French and Britain will turn a blind eye on American' adventures in Central and South America.
    Suffice to say, the Spanish Civil War was a quagmire......
    40 years later...
    In the Pacific: Japan want to expand but China is in the way. China must go... Hopefully, USA would give his blessing as long as Japan beat China rising Communist Party. The Navy guys realize they can't beat USA, so they skirted carefully so to not rouse the sleeping dragon...
    In the Urals: Soviet are eager to reconquer the breakaway Siberian Republic and import the glorious proletariat revolution... But if they do, the Finnish (KARELIA!) and Germans (LIVONIA!) and Polish (RUTHENIA! Ukraine? What's that?) will surely come asking for a pie...

Then in the background: In 1945, a sinister plot was brewing...... A top secret weapon of USA was stolen. The last time the case was heard was that it was on a passenger flying boat headed to Tokyo, Japan about to be smuggled to Moscow, Soviet, through the remnant of Trans-Siberia Railway. Then Tokyo became the hidden battlefield between foreign and domestic spy and agents, bodies on the alleys, unexplained murder, explosions. A secret war where each tried to secure the content of the case, a working prototype parts and blueprint for the first implosion type nuclear bomb. Fallen to the wrong hand and it could trigger the Second Great War, a war no one wants to have right now...
    Just then, the case unknowingly fallen to a common girl......

Either way, your story sounds interesting though..... Kinda want to hear the diverging timeline and what the story will be.......

gyoga likes this.
  17. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Yukkuri Oniisan first, I would like to say "thank you" for your translation projects.

Back to the topic, your alternate timeline is definitely more well-thought-out and unique than mine, my setting is basically still WW2 but with a different outcome in which the Allies, the Axis and the Comintern maintained a stalemate, though I also happened to use some same events.

I think I have enough divergent points so I will try to make a full timeline soon.

I appreciate others' advice of not creating a too far-stretched story so I think I will first focus mostly on the protagonist's efforts to blend in the society with her new identity while finding a way to atone for her sin (she believed she had gone against destiny itself with the power of the Yata no Kagami). In the latter part, the story would involve the World Games (based on our real-life counterpart), an international sport event that all the 7 great powers saw as a political mean to display their might since they were in no position to wage another war so soon (similar to how people viewed the Olympic Games during the real-life Cold War era. It was there that the atomic bomb became a plot device, in a similar direction to what you said.

I would like to post the map that I made for this story but can't, do you know why it keeps saying that I spam?

18. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    deathflag? nah, an history nerd would know how to win, the story would mostly be how far he will fall to live.
    he will have to find strategy to win, will have to continue the slaughter of the jew even if his morals are against it in order to keep his support and will lastly need to see how far into insanity he will go to live

gyoga likes this.
  19. gyoga

gyoga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I belong to the group that believes the war was unwinnable for Germany after Stalingrad, so for me that depends on whether the battle had concluded or not. But still, I won't deny that there might be some sort of miracles thanks to the future knowledge

Anyway, that's a very good idea.

Zaart likes this.
  20. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks you