I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shizaki, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Shizaki

Shizaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Today have been a good day for stupidity. Looking back at it, I'm ashamed and embarrassed for what I have done. Just hoping it to be a dream where the moral is to not be an idiot.

This is what happened a couple of hours ago.

I was reading some random novel that just got updated here on Novelupdates. Where suddenly, my phone rings.
    I pick it up and quickly discover the indian accent from the otherside of the phone and claims to be from microsoft. Telling me that they've been getting large amount of foreign access to my computer, sending large amount of info to others, in other words, a hacker seems to be using my computer as a port or something and the possible cause may be that my windows licence may have expired they say (Is that even possible?).
    Naturally confused of this, I try to find a way to fix this. But they claim that I can see for myself where all of this can be proven so. And they tell me how I can check my licence, which I did and they were correct. (Don't know if this was part of the scam, probably was.)
    They show me "evidence" by showing me some warning and wrong rapports that my computer have been sending and such. And to prove they're really microsoft. They tell me to use cmd and type in something that shows my CLSID or whatever and they tell the numbers there that match what I have showing.
    Me, clearly confused of what I'm even reading decides to trust them and go with the plan by downloading Logmein and connect to them. And then download Teamviewer and connect to them.
    Now they've control of my computer which might sound bad, but it's just the mouse and they control where I click and such, so no information was taken by that route, because I would've seen it on my computer if they were downloading something.
    They try to prove once more that they're in the right by googling validator and validate my email... Which I did (Facepalm).
    Which in fact shows some minor errors have been here and there in my email.
    Now they want me to use cmd again and now type in assoc (DO NOT TYPE THIS IN AS I DON'T REALLY NOW WHAT MAY HAPPEN) and they claim that it will scan my computer for the malware or whatever. Which I did. (Facepalm)
    And it starts with this strange numbering process which doesn't really look like the usual cmd to me. And after like 25 sec the text goes red and very slowly spells out that I have a trojan horse in the computer and that it will shut down my computer in 1 hour.
    Then I noticed my friend just outside my door telling me. "Sounds to me to be a bunch of scammers."
    A moment of clarity arrives and I panic and quickly end the call on the phone and try to quit logmein and teamviewer but the scammers panic as well and move my mouse around to stop me. In desperation, I hit the power switch and quickly deletes logmein and teamviewer after the computer starts and run the anti-virus scan but finds nothing.

Afterwards I learn that the scammers are actually infamous around europe (especially sweden) by claiming to be from microsoft and have you download/buy an anti-virus from them to fix your "problem" but actually giving you virus instead and steal your data like bank info and such.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/s...cam-dont-be-victim-tech-support-call-3378798/

Feeling a bit stupid after all this I become a little paranoid and worry about my computer that may have a virus already, even if I didn't complete the scam. I still used logmein and teamviewer, which are two innocent things actually. I didn't give them any passwords, only my email and nothing more.

I talked to them for 53 minutes and when they try to call me again just a second later, the phone number was change to a very similar one.

Being the noob at such things, I ask you if there's anything you could advice me with. I've already made the ultimate choice in formate (Delete everything, begin from scratch) but an error accurs (which may or may not have anything to do with the scam) so I can't. I've also decided to stop using the online bank or any online shopping for now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    VOLX98, rh12, Dupe2718 and 2 others like this.
  2. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit, people still fall for this? The Indian Microsoft guy scam is one of the most famous scams there is.

VOLX98 likes this.
  3. SomeDude

SomeDude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fuck....
    If someone is calling you and He/She sound like an Indian that claims from ANY tech company, thats a major redflag... dunno why you even trust that guy lol

Also, if a random stranger is asking to remote your computer, just fken hang up.

VOLX98 likes this.
  4. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    It's natural selection xD

VOLX98, ninish and Shem like this.
  5. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Teamviewer is a company from my city

6. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    wow. take your friend for a drink or something, he saved your ass

Dupe2718, Alyuna and ninish like this.
  7. willuwontu

willuwontu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I never thought people actually fall for this.

Dupe2718 likes this.
  8. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you really from this ERA?

Cuz I am having serious doubts.

5 year old kids are taught " Don't talk to strangers...and here you are..."

Simply..
    1. Never give your bank details
    2. Check if the site uses https
    3. Regularly do an anti virus and malware check
    4. Don't download from unknown or dubious sites

Those are the basics...for rest Google it.

Dupe2718 likes this.
  9. Shizaki

Reading List:
    Link
    The indian girl sounding guy claimed to be named Mike :S

10. Asestado

Asestado Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, I would say that the main problem is that you trusted them too much, however I don't think microsoft would actually call you for anything at all.

Just be careful man, there are many people who are truly hateful, what I recommend you to do so that you are in the clear is that you use system restore to a point of time before you did this, you never know, perhaps you have a virus or something because of this.

He is in fact a cultivator from an ancient era who is trying to adapt for the present, just see his profile image!

Alyuna and ninish like this.
  11. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to be on the safe side, do a fresh install of your OS. Back-up anything you need beforehand.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you will be shocked then if you know many people still fall to similar kind of scam despite many similar scam method have exposed by media~
    on multiple field~ property, economy, tech, insurance ect~

13. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Download Malwartebytes Antimalware and scan the computer again. It's a very good antimalware software with a 1-month free trial.

Also, never trust a call from Microsoft; they will never call their users.

Dupe2718 likes this.
  14. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    It is recommended to stop using that PC till u re-install the windows. The best way is to use recovery disk which came with the computer. Format everything, reinstall everything. So far it looks like they did not do anything. Did a window pop up during team viewer access showing file transfer? If not then u can simply go with these and be assured. On the safer side, u can change ur passwords and all.
    If u still cannot put ur mind at ease then change ur hard disk, but keep it as a last measure when u truly cannot feel secured ...
    Next time have fun with them verbally and then cut the call ..

15. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    They usually target old people. Here in Canada, it is estimated that scammers steal about 3 billions dollar every year from Canadians.

Dupe2718 likes this.
  16. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha oh my god, I've always wondered what kind of people actually fell for this shit. Now I know: Shizaki kind of people. Assoc essentially doesn't do anything you need to care about, so that's a non-issue. Change passwords of everything that's saved locally on your machine; there are a couple really easy exploits that use things like teamviewer to rip data from cache, and no you wouldn't see it on your end. Email for sure, anything else that it matters to you if they get in. You could have had a backdoor installed, if they went to the wrong page; you would not see it download. So a reformat should be done, and none of the steps you mentioned would inhibit one. You have to understand, browsers make downloading "seem" like a separate deal from browsing, but it isn't; you're constantly downloading everything on the webpage. It's not difficult to put anything else into that page, and since they already were effectively using your computer to do it... yeah.

Ah, editing this last bit in here. Change your passwords either after a reformat, or from a different uncompromised machine. Maybe your phone. You probably didn't get anything nefarious yet, to be honest; especially if they were actively trying to stop you from closing it, most likely they hadn't gotten that far. But uh, if you're taking steps to be sure then there's no sense taking the wrong ones.

Dupe2718 likes this.
  17. Shizaki

Reading List:
    Link
    The only two things that I downloaded were Logmein and Teamviewer. I'm not sure if they could send it over with either of these two, as they would want me to download their stuff or give out passwords and stuff.

18. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Then someone should connect him to the cultivation chat group's cultivators chat room...and a printout of that manual for cultivators living in modern world...lol

19. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply call a tech and put all the shitty responsibilities on him i.e he will be more qualified to deal with this problem. Meanwhile change your passwords of your email and social accounts. As a precautionary measure, make a backup of your important data.

asriu likes this.
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shizaki do that since you admit you are noob~ bring it to specialize that you thrust~
    depend on the scammer~ on my country last month (or two I forget) police catch scammer that specifically target people who suspected on corruption~ they just use my county as base while their target from other country~
    very impressive ~