Spoiler I'm in Hollywood

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by CannonBro, Feb 12, 2017.

1. namia91

namia91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you tell us about his involvement in music industry? I remember he try to entice the Swedish duo group to sign with him but they refuse since they already sign with EMI. Erik end up giving a song for Pretty Woman OST to them. Is there anymore involvement with other music stars?

2. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. CGI is the biggest thing, and built off of Pixar's expertise with computer rendering. In addition to making the usual Pixar films, he has them start off making special effects for the biggest action movies. For example, all the crazy wind effects from Twister. He combines this with traditional model methods for films like Jurassic Park. This allowed him to make films like Men in Black, Independence Day, and The Day After Tomorrow. Lord of the Rings trilogy (using both models and CG) was filming last I read. 3D film technology was pretty much ready to deploy, but had yet to enter theaters.
    2. After the first week, he shuts it down because he recognizes that the same problems were going to happen. Changes include rebranding as Disneyland Paris, changing the default staff language to French, and regionalizing most of the park to be more European in culture. Basically adapt the park more to the audience.
    3. He sells the department (meaning the subsidiary containing the animators, the related staff, and administrators). Along with this he sells the unfinished Pocahontas and whatever the next movie was after that (maybe Mulan?), as well as the rights to make the Lion King sequel. He retains all previous characters and also the rights to make toys for the Lion King for Disney stores.
    4. Jeffrey Hanson (Eric's partner, helped him film Home Alone) has a son named Chris, who's engaged to Emily Brighton. Emily's family owns The Limited, which covers the brands Abercrombie & Fitch, Victoria's Secret, and Bath and Body Works. So he gets the idea to do the fashion show from there.
    Edit: forgot the question about print media. Nah, he knows print media is dying now (2010s) so he doesn't bother. In fact after buying ABC (or was it Disney? So hard to remember) he sells that part off first. He does hire a professional magazine editor to run the Yahoo News portal, and basically props them up in the beginning. Stuff like giving them exclusive coverage of the Victoria's Secret fashion show, and exclusive interviews/news about his company's upcoming movies.

Let's see... this part of the novel is of less interest to me so I kind of skimmed over it. I know he hired Lou Pearlman, who organized Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. He also discovered Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake from when they were in Mickey Mouse Club. He also hired Simon Fuller to develop Pop Idol in the UK (and American Idol, the US counterpart).
    Besides that, I'm pretty sure his main thing is Yahoo Music and his iPod equivalent.
    Right now he's pretty badly hated by the big record labels. He created the MP3 player (which cratered the sales of the Sony Walkman, CD players, and MD players, and also encouraged music piracy). He also convinced Madonna to put some of her back catalog onto his Yahoo Music service, since as a big star she regained rights to her older albums in her contract. This led to a fight for digital rights between other large stars and their record labels.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    raffstarr and namia91 like this.
  3. kaneabel

kaneabel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Does he expand into the media market of Europe or Asia? He would have more precise knowledge of the Chinese market
    2. How does he takeover Marvel comics? Does he try for DC also?
    3. How does he handle the scandal that caused Jennifer to leave him?
    4. What is the story behind building his Iron Man House? Which chapter does it get built?
    5. Also Eric do it with multiple girls at once?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Not that I've seen. I mean, he knows some movies he makes will have more of a global appeal than others, so he releases them overseas. But there's nothing explicitly for Europe or Asia. The focus of this novel is Hollywood after all.
    2. He buys their debt, then sues the owner (Ron Perelman) for fraud. The owner had taken out large loans against Marvel's assets without the intention of repaying it, driving them near bankruptcy. The settlement results in him gaining controlling interest of Marvel.
    3. He filmed the meeting with the guy threatening him, and releases it to get the public on his side. The antitrust stuff goes away when he sells his stake in the agency. Drew refuses to testify against him, so all that stuff is moot.
    4. He sees the Malibu coastline, which reminds him of the scene in the movie. So he makes a sketch of the house from the movies. He gets the idea in 88 and hires Frank Gehry to build it in 99. I didn't track down when it is finished.
    5. Yes. IIRC Julia Roberts/Elisabeth Murdoch, Cindy Crawford/Linda Evangelista, and Charlize Theron/Penelope Cruz/Kate Beckinsale are the ones I remember.

raffstarr likes this.
  5. Eldiabloalchemia

Eldiabloalchemia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So when he founds google does Eric make it a fully owned company ? If so , does he go for an IPO in the future ? Does the IPO make any records / waves? Or does he go the alternate route and keep all his companies fully owned?

6. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the search division of Yahoo. I can't remember the Yahoo IPO happening in-story, but I think it's still majority owned by Eric (some shares for executives from the startup). He also has Yahoo write a web browser (and sign a deal with Microsoft to bundle it with Windows, keeping the Mac version behind).

In general Eric really prefers keeping majority control so he doesn't have to face pressure from other shareholders and can do what he likes. He bought the majority of shares of Disney and ABC and turned them private (no longer publicly traded). ARM, Qualcomm, and Nokia I think are still publicly traded, just majority owned by him.

raffstarr and Eldiabloalchemia like this.
  7. Eldiabloalchemia

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks @bob3002

8. CannonBro

CannonBro Heaven Destroying Armament

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad.. Translation has stopped :(

Ran ahzu likes this.
  9. Ran ahzu

Ran ahzu “a very tired person"

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard she/he(don't remember) went on a vacation for around 1-2 weeks in order to spend some time with the family....2-3 weeks ago(don't remember (2))

10. Ran ahzu

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Ran ahzu

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw,anyone knows how to contact her/him?
    I mean,I am interested in that novel she recommended

12. ElDaniWar

ElDaniWar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happens with Amy Pascal?

13. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she works with Drew at MGM later, but I don't remember if anything else happens with her.

14. Eldiabloalchemia

Reading List:
    Link
    What happens with Titanic and LOTR? Did he break the box office? And what about movies like Expendables?

15. darkrain1993

darkrain1993 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eric contacted her to work for him (first in the production company made by drew) and later made her the new CEO of MGM when he bought it...

People were not as positive about Titanic because it's budget crossed 200 million and reviews by critics were not satisfactory so the money made by it on box office was low for first week but because the public's opinion started to change when whoever saw this movie started to recommend it to their friends it's box office saw a rebound and ultimately the total box office crossed 2 billions...
    Other listed movies are still not screened...

Eldiabloalchemia likes this.
  16. S.H.Alif

S.H.Alif Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who is Boji Xiao Si that played yoyo in eric's movie RUNNING OUT OF TIME? THAT IS THE NAME THEY SHOW IN MTL

17. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    Brooke Shields IIRC.

18. S.H.Alif

S.H.Alif Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is she a harem member?

19. Narberal

Narberal 『 Pleiades 』