Inclusion of non-free updates?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by TUSF, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So Qidian International has been releasing Web Novel updates for their own stories into English.

I thought: J-Novel Club also releases chunks of volumes every week, for various novels they own. On a schedules release, too!

So my question is, does NU allow updates from commercial websites that allow you to read their novels in parts online, but at a cost? (As J-Novel is subscription based)
    They currently translate the Light Novel form of various stories, some of which only have a machine translated web novel being updated. It might confuse some people though (or even act as accidental free advertising for them), so I don't know.

2. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    NovelUpdates only allows links that do not require any payment or subscription to view the content on the page. As a rule of thumb, anyone should be able to access the content on a page linked on NovelUpdates.

3. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, I gotcha. J-novel allows the first "parts" of each series to be read as a Preview for free without an account, but I can see that being limiting otherwise.

4. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    including people like myself who go +-0 each month :(

Jasad and Nyarlathotep like this.
  5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    NU was made probably first to set a platform for amateur TL to ply their trade...So,no. Btw,I have never even heard about it..Must be cuz it is costly?

6. DSKM

DSKM The Demonic Angel (Ko's Twin)

Reading List:
    Link
    please keep it that way

Makuba and ronishamay like this.
  7. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

ik that feel m8 :v but imo earning money and not having the time to use it due to having to work is even worse. I know people who have plenty of money in the bank and love gaming but due to working 1 job + OT or 2 jobs+, kids etc, they straight up have no free time to game

8. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    FREE !!!

9. UselessWastrel

UselessWastrel Procrastinating Suicidal

Reading List:
    Link
    i like that rule

ronishamay likes this.
  10. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amateur TL: See Qidian International, which is a bigger company intending to cash in on this community of "amateur TL". NU provides links for them, which basically acts as free advertising.
    Costly: No. J-Novel Club is just a new publisher. The subscription is about $5 a month.

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I did mention that the amateur thingy was what nu was made for 'originally'. Later developments cannot be controlled..Who could have thought that the TL scene would explode like this?

12. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm in uni with liberal professors as a right-leaning student, i need to spend 11-14 hrs/day studying not to be thrown out

so i'm working my ass of, going into debt while going +-0, hoping i can stay in uni

13. Sam Pinansky

Sam Pinansky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the links for things that require a paid subscription are very clearly marked, I don't think it would be confusing to people.
    I mean, that's kind of self serving as of course we'd like as many links to our stuff as possible ;)

Another option is just to have a completely separate list of "legally" released online chapters and/or ebook releases and kind of expand the purpose of the site a bit.