Invictus:Memoirs of an otherworlder on a mission

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by LoneWanderer23, Apr 29, 2016.

?

Is it any good?Do you want to see more?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. I don't care

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Genre:Mature,Action,Adventure,Drama,Fantasy,Historical,Military,Transported to another world
    http://royalroadl.com/fiction/6444

Synopsis:
    Erik Hartmann, 18 years old, he pissed off a petty god and now he is forced to conquer the world for the gods amusement.With his trusty rifle and summoned army he ventures into a new world.
    Watch the modern equivalent of a peasant transform into a invincible general.

Please comment and give me no face.

Also this story is a direct result of me getting pissed off at Modern Weapons Cheat in Another World
    I was like: "I can do this better blinfolded", anyways so I wrote this prologue in some kind of angry mode
    so I would like to know what people think about this heap of words, is there any worth in continuing?

Table of contents
    Prologue

Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
    Chapter 4
    Ares Interlude
    Chapter 5
    Chapter 6
    Ares Interlude 2
    Chapter 7
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 9
    Chapter 10
    Chapter 11
    Elven Interlude
    Chapter 12
    Chapter 13
    Chapter 14
    Chapter 15

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Shio, DRECK, KainMori and 1 other person like this.
  2. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gait,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Prologue

The fortunate or unfortunate story of a youth called Erik Hartmann, my story, whatever your opinion may be after reading this, started when I was 18 after a series of events which made me feel like someone really wanted me dead that day, which would actually turn out to be true when I met the condescending bastard who wanted to play with my life.

I saved a child from a runaway truck in the morning almost getting myself runover, later in the afternoon I was going to the mall and while passing by a construction site when dozens of steel beams fell all around me, mere centimeters from my face scaring the living shit out of me.

I decided that was enough excitement for the day and went home.At home my favourite way to kill time was to play videogames and reading light novels.I wish I read some xianxias before my death.Life would have been much easier.

My favourite game was a Grand Strategy-RTS-style game.I was a history buff and admired those historical figures who accomplished great feats, not necessarilly good feats but great anyways.

At midnight I went to sleep and unbeknownst to me there was a small meteor with my name on it.

BOOOM!

You get the picture, right? It was a fiery death but pretty much nobody cared besides me. It was as if that day I was a certain red-shirt.Unfortunately my enemy wasn't a stormtrooper, otherwise I would have survived.

The darkness engulfed me.

When I regained my consciousness I was surrounded by darkness.It was neither hot nor cold.

Just an absence of everything.Somehow I immediately knew I was dead.

„Hmm, is this how death feels?“

„This feels really weird since I can't move or do anything.“

„Am I going to have to have spend the eternity in this place?Aren't there any lights around here?“„Hello? Is anyone here?Where are the damn lights, I can't see anything?!“

I was unusually calm for a person who recently figured out he is dead.Maybe it's this spaces fault?

I couldn't muster any feelings or anything noticeable.I was completely indifferent.

Then, a change happened.

There was a flash of bright white light.

After I finally managed to open my eyes, I almost died again.

I was in the middle of a battlefield full bits and pieces of corpses and ocasionally nearly intact ones.

If I could have thrown up, I would have but still somehow a trace off indifference would have shown on my expression, If I had any. That state of being was the weirdest time in my lives.

A sound was heard behind me.

„Ahem.“

I turned around so fast, that if I had neck, it would have broken.

I got another shock instantly.

I rubbed my nonexistent eyes to confirm what was in front of me, was not a hallucination.

There was a at least 3 meter tall man in full bronze armor with a bronze helmet and giant bronze hoe sitting on top of a small mountain of corpses like it was somekind of throne or something.

A hoe?Who brings a hoe to a battlefield?At that time it didn't feel strange at all to me that the first thing I was nitpicking on was him bringing a hoe here.

„Who... WHO ARE YOU?!?!?“ Yep, after that I started freaking the fuck out.It was something instinctual,like when a prey meets a predator.Before I could open my mouth again, the man

spoke.

„Welcome to my humble abode mortal.Kekeke, I hadn't had the time to clean up you see, I was playing with army but since you have finally come we can finally start.

As for who I am, I go by many names like Ares, Mars and many more, but the most important thing is that I am the god of war and farmers“.

Oh, so that's why he has a hoe.NO!Erik, focus on the big guy with the hoe.!ARGH.Godammit.

„I have decided to grant you your desire, since your status was not much different from a peasant, at least that's what my lawyer said.“ Wait?Who is lawyer?NO, that's irrelevant now.

„My desire?“What do you know about me?

„Your desire for domination,conquering , for control over all, to stand on the top and since I am the god of war what more do I need for my champion, and well if you it's not big deal, at least for me.If you don't disappoint me, I may even give you another chance after your death.“Eeeh, I know I wanted to do something great enough to be remembered in history but world domination? Man this is getting out of control I better stop him before it's too late.

„Your...Your CHAMPION?!??!?!?“ Damn, why the hell am I stuttering right now!

„Yes, am I not CLEAR ENOUGH PUNY MORTAL!!!“ Just because you are a god doesn't mean you can shout at me.

„Yyes Ssir!“Crap, I'm totally intimidated.I don't think I can escape from this.

„Good, now we can proceed.You will be sent to a world which is similar to the medieval times on Earth, but they have magic.“What?Magic?It exist?Crap, how can I even survive then?

„Magic?“

„Yes,magic, is there a problem?“

„No, no, no Your Excellency,I am just saying that I don't know any magic, I will get immediately killed if fight with a magician.“

„Hahaha, so you are afraid.And you should be, no good warrior is fearless.But that is why you are my champion and my champions get special abilities.“

„Special abilities?“

„Yes, usually I let my champion choose his abilities, but you cannot.“

„What? WHY?!“

„Kekeke, do you remember that Grand Strategy-RTS game you often play at home?“

„Yees,why?“

„And do you remember when you were playing online and accepted a challenge from AresMars475

and after you won, you called him a noob?“

„What?When was that?Wait, THAT WAS YOU?“ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!This bastard killed me because of a fucking videogame!

„Hahahaha, now who is a noob.“ What the hell is wrong with this guy?!?!??!?!?

„So now you will get the abilities from the game and conquer the world so we can see if that was a fluke or not.“ Eh, well that's not so bad, at least I am familiar with them

„So you will get a headquarters, a set amount of points and a squad of combat engineers in the beginning, also I will plant you in the middle of a forrest and give you a month or so for a quick tutorial and after that you are on your own.“

„With points you will be able buy everything your army needs, from food to ammunition, but of course if you find materials for stuff, you can build it yourself.“

„Your technology level will start from 1946 and by killing, conquering and occupying territory you will earn points to unlock more weapons,more technology and if you want, you can summon famous warlords, generals, startegists and such but they will be costly.“

„Wow, that's cool, but you still killed me because of a damn game.“

„Haha, who told you to be arrogant in front of a god.“

„Well, it's time for you to go now.Hahaha, have fun Erik, try not to die immediately.“Yeah fuck that guy

„Oh by the way, did you know, I can read your thoughts?“ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKK!

If someone told you one day that playing videogames would end your life and then save your life, would you believe them?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1

When I regained consciousness, I found myself lying on a clearing inside a forest.

„Urgh, where the hell am I? “

„Where is this place? “

After getting up looking around the place, I noticed that there is nothing here. Also it seems that I'm dressed in some kind of military uniform with a bunch of medals. Is this some kind of joke that I'm not getting?

I wondered where is that base and those engineers Ares promised me.

Do I have to summon them or something? Yeah let's try that.

Hmm, how do you even summon people and buildings? Do you say something or make some kind of magic circle?!I don't know how to make magic circles!

Let's try some clichés. Maybe that will work, I hope it's not some obscure password.

„ Status.... “

„Eh, seriously it's not Status? “What kind of story is this, when the main character can't even summon his status?!?! Damn you Ares, where is that damn tutorial you promised!

„Let's try something else, System Check. “

„Goddamnit, Start tutorial?!?“

[Tutorial is starting]

„Hahaha finally my road to greatness is open!!“Shit, that was close. I could have died without even firing a shot.

[You can check your status by saying the command: System Status]

„Oh come on, I was so close there. Alright, let's begin this adventure. “

„System Status “

[Status]
    [Store]
    [Abilities]
    [Map]
    [Help]

Alright, let's check my status first.

[Name: Erik Hartmann]
    [Level: 1]
    [Race: Human]
    [Occupation: Ares' Champion]
    [Health:10]
    [Mana: N/A]
    [Strength:8]
    [Agility:9]
    [Stamina:7]
    [Intelligence:13]
    [Wisdom:10]
    [Leadership:13]
    [Abilities:3]

Titles: Champion of Ares, No Mana Freak, Natural Leader, Intelligent

„Tch, zero points, you could have at least given me a couple thousand points as an apology. “
    „ Uuh, I have abilities, even 3 of them? “

[3 abilities have been granted by God Ares to improve your odds of survival in the tutorial. You can inspect abilities via the „Ability “command.]

„Wwhat- arre-are my odds for survival? “

„49% “

„EEEEEEEEEhhhhhhh?!?!? Is this a joke? „What kind of hellhole was I dropped into? It’s not even 50-50. That damn Ares even the damn tutorial is abnormal, although being transported to another world isn't that normal either. I should really start freaking out but I can't.

For some reason my emotional outbursts are very short, this doesn't even phase me that much. Maybe it's because of those abilities? I should check them.

„Ability “

[Abilities]

[Body Strengthening(Low)]
    [Mind Strengthening(High)]
    [Accelerated Language Comprehension skills(MAX)]

„Hehe, I've become stronger and smarter. Who knows, maybe I've become more handsome too. “

[You can spend earned points in the store. You can access the story via the „Store “command,
    Because this is the tutorial, you are to outfit yourself with basic equipment and you get a free base headquarters with a squad of combat engineers]

„Great, at least I will have someone to talk to before we all end up dead. “

„Store “

[HQ]
    [Army]
    [Airforce]
    [Navy]
    [Logistics]
    [Research]

„HQ “

After I said HQ, my status screen was replaced by a bird-eye view of the forest. Yep, its huge, and there is no visible end because I haven't started exploring this land yet.

And then appeared a ghost blueprint of the HQ. Wow this really is like a game, that god seriously pisses me off, he turned my life into a game.

Anyways, it seems that this clearing is pretty much flat so it will be easy to defend. I planted the HQ right in the middle of the clearing. And right in front of me appeared a magic circle which coincidentally blinded me.

In front of me appeared a grey, two-story building with an unremarkable design. I guess if I want a decent base I should build it on my own.

Right so that's that. Now finally to get some slav-subordinates.

„Army “

I picked barracks and then Combat Engineer x8(a squad is 8-12 in NATO).

Eight magic circles appeared near me and 8 people popped into existence with a flash of light.

„General, Engineer squad reporting for duty. “Wow, since when am I a general? Whatever, let's pretend I'm not shocked by someone calling an 18-year-old teenager general.

„Engineers, I'm assigning you to fortify our new base. I want trenches by the end of the day around my base. Understood? “

„But, sir... “

„Yes? “

„We don't have any equipment. “Eeeeh, I forgot to take the basic equipment. Let’s pretend everything is fine, yes everything is fine. One thing at a time.

„That will be momentarily fixed soldier. “

Let's see.

„Store „ Now where do I find equipment? Let’s try logistics.

„Logistics “

Jackpot! There it is, basic equipment, let’s pick this and get started.

„Buy Basic equipment “

[Basic equipment is free] Ding!
    [Basic equipment bought.]

[Army fatigues]
    [STG44 assault rifle]
    [M39 hand-grenade]
    [Walther P-38 pistol]
    [Entrenching tool]
    [First-aid]
    [Knapsack]
    [Helmet]
    [Military boots]
    [Military gloves]

Again with magic circles, now they appeared under the soldiers and equipped them all with basic equipment

„Soldier, is everything now in order? “

„Sir, yes, Sir! “Phew, I didn’t even realize I was holding my breath, it seems I was more nervous than I thought.

[The tutorial has now entered phase two. Prepare for battle during the next week.]

Humph, humph now that I have my gun with me nobody can stop me.

So what is a general of 8 people supposed to do now? I know, no army can march on an empty stomach hehehe. But where is the food?

I decided to enter the unremarkable building that is my current HQ and search for food. I found a room that is probably a makeshift kitchen but no food.

„What the hell? How am I supposed to feed my army? I can't live on air! Damn you Ares! “

It seems that my civilization, as short-lived as it is, has regressed back to a hunter-gatherer society. It seems that I will have to hunt for food. Maybe there are some animals nearby.

Meat.

Good idea!

I ran out of the building and went to my slav-subordinates

„Ahem, soldiers it seems that our supply of food is nonexistent. I require two of you to come with me and hunt for food. “

„Yes, Sir! “

We went on our way immediately, as it seems it's already noon. Where did my morning go?!

Usually in light novels in these situations the people who are from the beginning with you most of the time become friends or companions who adventure together.

I should probably try at least memorizing their names in the immediate future.

We were walking around the edges of the clearing looking for any animals that looked tasty, but to no avail.

As I was about to attempt to befriend my soldiers, I was ambushed by a small fluffy furrball.

Yes, indeed it was the iconic horned rabbit. I didn't want this kind of fantasy story! I wanted to be UNIQUE! But it seemed that Ares wasn't paying much attention to things besides war and farmers.

The damned animal fortunately collided with my rifle, otherwise I would have had a new horn-shaped hole in my body.

After that happened, well we found out that this rabbit couldn't outrun bullets. Although we may have gone a bit overboard since the rabbit exploded all over the forest.

After that we decided to head back with whatever was left of the rabbit because we probably scared every animal in this forest.

After lunch I left my men to their work while I decided to conserve energy in my headquarters. Yeah, that still sounds weird. This whole general thing is going to need some getting used to.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2

Come evening on the first day, I was dead tired, it seemed that this whole ordeal took a toll on my psyche.

I was woken up the next day by a grumbling stomach. I think this is the first time in my life that I was hungry but no one was here to feed me.

I guess I should have been more thankful to my parents while I was on Earth. Wait, now that I think about it, isn’t the general basically the parent of the army?!

“What the hell, I seriously need more points or we will all die. Why are there no cheats! I want to go home! I don’t want children!”

“Now, since I vented my frustrations let’s go fix this shit.”

I tried to put on my medal-studded uniform but a small detail caught my eye. The medals, why do I have medals on my uniform?

And then I saw the inscriptions on the medals: Champion of Ares, No Mana Freak, Natural Leader, Intelligent

Yeah, those are my titles. Won’t everyone know what titles I have by looking at my medals? Can I hide them somehow, because it seems they won’t come off my uniform after trying?

Am I not in the tutorial right now? I should try to find out if there isn’t something in the menu to help me.

“System Status”

[Status]
    [Store]
    [Abilities]
    [Map]
    [Help]

Oh, there is a map and a help tab also here. I didn’t even notice it yesterday; I really need to get a grip on the situation otherwise I will lead everyone to their doom. Let’s check out the map first.

“Map”

The screen changed to a bird-eye view again. The map only shows the immediate surroundings and everything else was shrouded in fog. Wait, is this the so called fog of war?

Well the map is useless for now. Exploration comes after I survive tutorial. Well IF I survive the tutorial.

Next, let’s check the help tab.

“Help”

[State your inquiry] Oh, that’s cool; I don’t have to search through useless FAQs

“Is there a way to hide my titles?”

[You can hide or unhide your titles with the commands “Hide {Title Name}” and “Unhide {Title Name}]

“Great.” With my newfound knowledge I hid all of my titles. Maybe one day this will come in handy, but now it’s just useless weight.

After the situation was resolved I was planning on checking up on the progress of my engineers.

As I was leaving my headquarters I stumbled on something and fell down. Well, this is embarrassing.

When I looked around my surroundings I was left stunned. It seems that I have stepped on my own engineers. They were all sleeping outside the headquarters. I must have forgotten to tell them they are allowed to sleep inside the headquarters with me. I suck as a general.

Oh great, now they are waking up; I must have disturbed their sleep. Yup, as soon as they saw me, they started freaking out and kicking each other awake. They lined up and saluted me. Is this going to be my life from now on?

“Gener-“ I interrupted his apology speech.

“Stand at ease soldier.”

“Yyes Sir!” Well what the hell am I supposed to say now? Discipline is important, but being high-strung is detrimental to organization. Let’s pretend this never happened. Brilliant plan, indeed.

It seems that they have already finished the trenches. Yes, this is a good opportunity to pass of my mistakes as rewards. Heh, good job me.

“I can see that you have finished the trenches. Excellent, from now on you can sleep inside the headquarters and also be my temporary guards.”

After my bullshiting ended, everything went well. My soldiers were happy and I didn’t come off as an incompetent idiot.

“Grrrumble” Dammnit, can I not enjoy a single moment in my life? We need food pronto.

“Alright today we will all go to the forest to hunt for food.”

“Yes, Sir!”

I was a bit more careful today; I don’t want to end up dead without accomplishing at least something.

We advanced in a diamond formation, this is a new experience for me; being protected by others. Ah, I must succeed if not for myself at least for them since they care this much for me.

We advanced through the bushes on the perimeter but we had no luck. It was only bushes and trees everywhere. It was already lunchtime when we were returning back with our heads down.

As we were stepping into the clearing on the way home one of my soldiers signaled for the formation to stop.

What is going on?! Is there an enemy?

“Sir, it appears that while we were gone, some animals appeared.”

“What?” Someone is so daring? How dare they!

“Are they still there?”

“Yes, sir it seems they are rummaging through the traces of rabbits we cooked yesterday. The animals appear to be wolves but they are a size too big.”

“Heh, accidental bait it seems. Good, let us assume position and score us some food.”

It seems I wasn’t the only one hungry here. Yup, they are even drooling.

As they say, birds die for food, people for treasure; but if they had seen the gleam in my soldiers that day they wouldn’t have dared to utter such rubbish.

Those 3 wolves knew not what hit them. We divided the targets between us and fired all at the same time.

Bang! Rata-tata-ta!(SFX for gunfire or my guess at least)

The 3 wolves turned their heads towards the sound but in the next moment they exploded in a mixture of blood and bones. One even got his head blown off.

What went unnoticed during the moment, was the realization that I suck at shooting! I didn’t hit anything, heck I even shot my own headquarters. This is utterly embarrassing.

I need to practice my shooting to be at least passable. What kind of general sucks at being a soldier?

But at least lunch was enjoyable. Wolf meat is tasty although it is a bit too hard for my own tastes. I need to summon a chef as soon as possible.

Lunch was spent in silence while my army was devouring the unfortunate wolves.

Is this the so-called survival of the fittest? What if I am not the fittest around here? What if my army is destroyed by the natives? Can I win against these magic-wielding people? How many magicians are there even? How powerful are they?

Crap, I need to stop otherwise this spiral will be never ending. Relax, one thing at a time.

First comes the tutorial, I will leave everything else to future me. I hope he won’t hate me too much.

The rest of the week went by really fast. It is a massive drain of time to hunt for food. We hadn’t had time for anything else. This needs to be rectified in the future. I can’t even stomach the sight of those damn rabbits; they have been our primary supply of food throughout the week. If I see any more rabbits, they will die a gruesome death.

At least my shooting has improved somewhat. On the seventh day in the morning while I was being depressed inside my headquarters a screen appeared in front of me.

[First wave: 1:00:00]
    [First wave: 0:59:59]
    [First wave: 0:59:58]

Oh boy, here we go. Damn, can’t even pray to a god since I know the asshole.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 3

I was staring at the screen for a couple of seconds after which I promptly broke out in cold sweat.

The first wave! Shit! I'm not ready yet! Okay calm down Erik, we can do this. I'm going to survive this!
    I promptly ran out of the headquarters almost bumping into a soldier. Still don’t know their names.

Focus, Erik, focus we can deal with that afterwards.

“Soldiers, we have an emergency situation. The enemy will be upon us in one hour.”

“We possess no intelligence regarding the invaders and their fighting power.”

“Start preparing yourself physically and mentally as best as you can.”

“Someone go mark the 300 and 100 meters distance. Also we will barricade ourselves into the base and defend ourselves from there.”

“Oh, and someone go make a hole in the roof and climb upstairs so we can spot the enemies.”

“If we cannot hold our headquarters we will certainly die so we must hold this position! Am I clear soldiers?”

“SIR, YES SIR!” Well I’m glad at least someone is confident. Unknown enemy coming from an unknown direction with unknown combat power. Is there anything more frightening for a commander?

I hope we will survive this somehow. I don’t want to see that smug bastard and his smug face.

During the next hour we pilled everything from beds to kitchen pots next to the door. Since there are only windows on the second floor we can consider ourselves lucky. The door will make a nice killing zone.

I took position on the second floor looking out of the windows while the engineers split into three teams.

One person was on the roof trying to spot the enemy while five were inside the trenches and two were positioned to provide covering fire from the doors if need be. I hope not.

As the only person to see the countdown the pressure was immense. The ticking felt like some kind of death sentence. After zero lies only troublesome enemies and a will to survive. The only question worth asking now is: Do you have what it takes to survive another day?

[First wave: 0:00:02] Shit.

[First wave: 0:00:01] Shit. Shit!

[First wave: 0:00:00] SHIIIIIT!!!

I was frantically looking through the windows to spot the enemy but to no avail. I was mentally exhausted before the damn fight. Are they not coming? Do we have to wait? They should have already come? Why are they not coming?

While I was losing my mind a shout came from the soldier on the roof. The ground was slightly trembling. What the hell is going on?

“The enemy!!!”

As I put my head through the window I almost fell out of it. Fuck! Can I please not die so stupidly?! I am not asking for much!!!

The first thing I saw was the color white. Littered around the perimeter, peeking out of the bushes white dots. What are those?

As the realization dawned upon me, my mind went blank.

It’s the fucking rabbits! FUCK your mother! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! Can I not have at least a shred of dignity left?!?!?

One day when someone asks me: Erik how was your first battle? WHAT THE FUCK am I supposed to say? Oh, that’s easy I was attacked by a rabbit horde. It was thrilling as fuck. After that we had rabbits for lunch for a loooong time.

Goddamn rabbits, Ares aren’t you looking down upon me a bit too much?

Well it turned out he didn’t.

It was a fight for the ages, well at least for the rabbits. As for their human counterparts they were part hungry part embarrassed.

At first we were surprised, then for a moment we were hungry and after that we realized that we were surrounded. Yes, surrounded, you heard me. The bushes were full of white dots wherever you looked.

For a good minute there was only the sound of movement inside the bushes and the multiplication of white dots in my view.

After that, well after that was only pure chaos. All the goddamned rabbits attacked at the same time. It was an avalanche of fluffiness with a touch of death by impalement.

I did my best to stay calm by issuing orders.

“Get ready everyone! “

“Even if the enemy is rabbits we must do our utmost to survive today!”

“I don’t want to put on your gravestones: Died while fighting against rabbits!!!”

“It would be too embarrassing and I don’t want to go down in history for this!!!!”

“When they come in range, open fire and don’t stop until every single one of those fluffy bastards is dead!!!”

That asshole is definitely behind this, can I not live in peace?!? I’m sorry for calling you a noob, I’M SORRY!!!

While I was regretting my cockiness, the rabbits were zooming across the clearing. They were nearing the effective range of our weapons and soon, very soon they will start dying. I only hope that we have enough bullets.

600 meters

500 meters Wait.

400 meters Wait. Wait Erik, not yet.

350 meters So close. Come on you fluffy bastards, let this daddy show you the power of humanity!

300 meters

“OPEN FIRE!!”

BANG! BANG! Rata-tata-ta

The first of the rabbits literally exploded into air and painted the ground and the surrounding rabbits red. Almost every bullet went through a couple of rabbits. It was easy to aim but there were too many of them. Soon the rabbits were upon us.

When the rabbits advanced to the 100 meters mark the engineers started retreating while providing covering fire. As soon as everyone was inside the house we closed the door and piled everything onto the door to stop the rabbits from coming through, although I doubted it would stop them for long.

The engineers spread out on the second floor and shot at the rabbits from the windows. One soldier was watching the door for any breakthroughs and another soldier and I were shooting atop the roof.

Why was I on top the roof you ask? Well it was a unanimous decision between us after all, since I was a coward and they were willing to die for me. I wasn't very good at this whole fighting business. So there you go. I know, I was ashamed of myself but I was practically a kid at that time. My life was very important to me.

Everything was going fine for a couple of minutes while the door held and the rabbits were insanely jumping around the base. But the doors weren’t impervious to constant impalement.

The first rabbit collided into the obstacles behind the doors and died under a hail of bullets. But even that couldn’t stop them. As soon as there appeared a critical mass of fluffiness, the stairs were lost.

The engineer tried to retreat onto the second floor but he didn’t make it. A shooting rabbit impaled him right in the chest knocking him over. Fortunately, he didn’t immediately die but unfortunately he was mobbed by rabbits and the last thing heard from below was the sound of chain grenade explosions.

At that particular moment I somehow sensed he was dead, it was creepy to the utmost. I did my best not to puke.

Is this how it’s going to be from now on? Fuck! I can’t let this happen again!

But life was hell bent on screwing me over. There was probably a joke or two to be made about my new life but at the time I wasn’t in the mood.

The door to the second floor was almost instantaneously broken through. All the firepower we could bear was aimed at the door. There were the 6 engineers on the second floor and one engineer and me shooting through a hole atop the roof.

There was a small mountain of rabbits right at the door but even that couldn’t prevent the onslaught of the rabbit horde. The engineers threw grenades into the stairs and for a second there were no more rabbits coming through but that lasted only for a short while. While the engineers were reloading their weapons the rabbits stormed into the second floor and there was a bloody massacre.

All of the engineers died but not before pulling the pins out of their grenades and sending themselves and the rabbits to death.

Fucking hell! I told you guys not to die!!!

It seemed to be over for a moment but it was not meant to be.

Due to the grenade explosions the roof under us was full of holes and we fell through. We quickly got up and intensely searched for rabbits but there were none. The engineer went to check the stairs or what was left of them.

He just got there in time to die. A small band of surviving rabbits was trying to get up to the second floor by jumping and they impaled him to death.

I was the only one left. I immediately threw a grenade after him because I was certain he was dead.

After that there was only the uncomfortable silence until it was broking by the sounds of a rabbit.

There were only two survivors. One man, one rabbit. At that moment it became very personal for me.

These fucking rabbits killed everyone! I swear that I will kill all of these bastards!!!

It tried to ram me but I trained my STG44 at it and shot. Unfortunately, even though I shot it mid-air, it still knocked out the gun out of my hands.

It was time to get up close and personal. I pulled out my army knife and went into a rage induced frenzy. In close-quarters it was not my match.

It was a good couple of minutes of me stabbing the rabbit to death.

After I calmed down, I was covered top to bottom in blood. I cried bloody tears immediately when I comprehended everything that happened. I still didn’t know their names.

As for what I will say when someone asks me about my first battle? Fucking rabbits.

6. Jyakai

Jyakai [RIP] Last seen on 10/6

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL love your prologue...so funny :LOL::LOL::LOL: Especially the part with Ares saying who's a noob now lmao

Just be careful with the quotations (as it was upside down somewhere..just can't remember tho) and spelling (enouh-->enough). But it seems like it was kinda rushed so no worries there.

7. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't register that at all, i must have set the wrong language on Word. Thnx

8. Jyakai

Jyakai [RIP] Last seen on 10/6

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem (y)

9. Tororu

Tororu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i loled.. hard xD
    love your story and your gramar is realy good for rrl standarts but you sometimes confuse a and an
    Fucking Rabbits xD

10. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, before it was also right in the title but i fixed it. If I didn't know english after 10+ years of learning I would have shot myself already. Also Fuck the rabbits :D

11. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 4

In the background of my regrets the system was trying to tell me something. When I finally gave it a glance I was surprised.

I actually leveled up!

[You have leveled up.]

[You have new titles]

“Fuck, trying to be cute and shit; how about you give me back my soldiers? “This wasn’t a game. Well at least for me it wasn’t. That arrogant bastard just keeps screwing me over and over. I hadn’t had a good night’s sleep for days; barely surviving on rabbits and wolves and some berries which gave us all the runs.

I mean he said this was tutorial. Who dies from starvation during a tutorial? That’s not how games work!

It can’t possibly get worse, right?

[999 Rabbit horde cleared.]

[Second wave in 7 days]

“Fuck.”

I got up to my feet and found where the stairs used to be and jumped down to the first floor. I walked through the remains of the door and stepped outside to get some fresh air. I smelled of blood and gunpowder.

And dead rabbits.

They were every-fucking-where!

And the biggest problem I had was: Who was going to eat all of this?!?!

[You have a new message]

“Eh, who could it possibly be?”

[Good job with the whole business of not getting killed. Also because I’m such a nice person here is 500 points for keeping your limbs attached to your body. -Ares]

“FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! FUCK YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! Fucking fuck; smug bastard go die in some war you noob!!!!”

While I was screaming my lungs out I heard a sound behind me. It was the sound of crumbling.

The building that I called home for these past few days collapsed onto itself.

I became a homeless person.

“FUCK! I dare you! Do it again! Come at me bro! Kick me while I’m down! FUUCK!” I was ready to cry but somehow a switch in my brain was flipped and I became a sea of calm.

To this day I still insist that my life isn’t a game.

I wasn’t immensely pleased with my situation so I turned to the system for help.

“System Status”

[Status]
    [Store]
    [Abilities]
    [Map]
    [Help]

Let's see, I should first check out my status and then summon something from the store.

“Status “

[Name: Erik Hartmann]
    [Level: 2]
    [Race: Human]
    [Occupation: Ares' Champion]
    [Health:10]
    [Mana: N/A]
    [Strength:8]
    [Agility:9]
    [Stamina:7]
    [Intelligence:13]
    [Wisdom:10]
    [Leadership:13]
    [Abilities:3]

Titles: Champion of Ares, No Mana Freak, Natural Leader, Intelligent, Enemy of Rabbits

“Finally! I got me some points!” Now let’s go on a shopping spree!

“Store”

[HQ]

[Army]
    [Airforce]
    [Navy]
    [Logistics]
    [Research]

Since I can't really go anywhere right now, I should try to fortify what's left of my position. Right now I need new engineers to fix my base and see what I can buy with my hard-earned points.

“Army”

[Buildings]
    [Infantry]
    [Recon]
    [Tank]
    [AT]
    [Artillery]
    [AA]
    [Transport]
    [Miscellaneous]

“Buildings”

[Barracks 100P]
    [Support Weapons Center 100P]
    [Motor Pool 200P]
    [Tank Depot 300P]
    [Triage Center 200P]
    [Supply Yard 100P]
    [MG Emplacement 30P]
    [AT Emplacement 50P]
    [AA Emplacement 50P]

I bought the barracks, the supply yard and the triage center. I can’t fuck up like last time. Everybody was going to have unlimited bullets and doctors at a second’s notice. I placed the buildings right next to the rubble that was my base. The facilities came fully staffed which was nice, at least I don’t have to deal with that problem. I also bought four machine gun emplacements to cover the four cardinal directions.

I spent 520P.

After that came the actual army.

“Infantry”

[Infantry 10P]
    [Motorized Infantry 50P]
    [Motorized Engineers 50P]
    [Half-Track 40P]
    [Officer 100P]
    [Commandos 500P]
    [Paratroopers 300P]
    [MG team 25P]
    [Mortar team 50P]
    [Sniper 100P]

After thinking about it for a couple of minutes what I came up with was a single squad of engineers, 10 infantry squads, a sniper and a mortar team. I also spent an additional 10P on flamethrowers for the engineers. It’s going to be a hot day in hell.

I spent 300P. I was left with 686P

There were the usual magic circles and I was again blinded by the light. Seriously, someone needed to fix that shit.

My army magically appeared in front of me. It was much more impressive this time around.
    I immediately started giving out orders before I get intimidated by the situation.

“Soldiers, we have a week of time to prepare for battle!”

“I will announce your assignments now.”

“Engineers, go fix my base. You have a whole forest at your disposal. There are no tree huggers for miles around here so you can go all out. Also create killing zones for the machine gunners in the four cardinal directions. You have sandbags, barbed wires, tank traps and mines at your disposal. If by the end of the week this place doesn’t remind you of Cambodia there will be hell to pay!!!”

“SIR, YES SIR!” Good, at least someone was paying attention.

“Infantry squads clean up the trenches, that will be your home for the immediate future. Also the rabbits are for breakfast, lunch and dinner so be careful and place sandbags where needed to make your position impregnable.”

“SIR, YES SIR!” It was less enthusiastic this time around, was it the rabbits? It was the fucking rabbits.

“The mortar team will find a position and mark the firing distances for the battle.”

“SIR, YES SIR!”

“As for our sniper, eh? Where is he? Oh, there you are. Well you can go and create yourself a vantage point. Create a small hill or something. There is plenty of dirt here for you.”

“SIR, YES SIR!” Seriously stop shouting! I’m already half- blind from all the summoning and now you want me to become deaf too!

“Dismissed!” Phew, finally I can relax. Good thing that I’m on this side of the orders otherwise I would have already keeled over.

I sat in front of my home and watched the soldiers go about their business. The best piece of knowledge I found out was that my soldiers can summon things by themselves in the supply yard.

I checked my status and immediately noticed my points trickling out.
    It’s nice that I didn’t have to micromanage everything.

Dinner was uneventful but we had spices now so it wasn’t that bad. I seriously don’t know how I managed to survive here without salt and pepper.

Never again. If I have to, I will go to war for food. Nobody can stop me from enjoying my food.

Yes, that will be my new motto: If you want to eat, prepare for war!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  12. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Ares Interlude

While our not so brave main character was fighting for his life, the god who put him there, Ares was having a small get-together. He invited all of his battle maniac friends to enjoy the adventures of Erik. He had prepared a small banquet and copious amounts of wine for the guests.

That kind of event happened every time Ares found a new champion for his use. Every one invited already knew about it so they were only mildly interested.

But what they didn’t know was that this champion wasn’t like his predecessors. They all boasted personal strength with straight-forward personalities. Valiant, overbearing and intimidating.

“Ares, your last champion, what happened to him?”

“He died on the battlefield at twenty-five. I was going to revive him for another round but I couldn’t find his soul later on. It was awkward since I promised to revive him but mehh.”

At that time a sultry voice rang out.

“Ah, Ares my dear friend that would be my fault. Your champions always make for good doggies. He even met some of his seniors and made friends.”

After that there were only sounds of popping veins and exploding armrests.

But Erik was a 183 cm tall, 75kg man with no visible muscles. His only redeeming quality was a good head on his shoulders. Everyone his of his predecessors could slap him to death without breaking a sweat.

As the gods laid eyes upon Erik’s figure, they were visibly stunned. They were all thinking that Ares had gone blind or became ill.

“Look at that guy. He almost got killed by a rabbit. My unborn son is stronger than him.” (Random god #1) His son was a demi-god so it was a bit unfair to Erik the puny human.

“Where are the muscles? Where are the greatswords? Where are the spears and the shields?!?!” (Random god #2) This god was bit simple in the head.

“Is he possibly a magician? Ares, since when did you start liking magicians?” Erik the Magician wasn’t a popular act among the gods.

In response to their incessant complaining, Ares would only say: “Wait for it….”

And waited they did, otherwise Ares would have kicked their faces in.

Erik and his assistants displayed their fire magic and murdered the rabbits but at great costs.

Only Erik survived to live another day.

“Huh, well at least he survived the rabbits somehow. His magic is mediocre at best.” (Random god #3 chiming in)

“Well, Ares as you said he is still going through that “tutorial” thing so we will give you some face and watch over your champion. Although he doesn’t strike me as much but who knows what will happen in the future.” (Random god #4)

Ares was still being all mysterious and saying: “Wait for it… It’s gonna be…”

13. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 5

While the gods were disappointed with Erik, he was pacing back and forth while watching the engineers and soldiers at work.

The engineers were busy clearing out the remains of the headquarters while the soldiers were laying barbed wire, tank traps and mines in an orderly manner.

When the preparations are finished there will be four funnels in four directions that direct flow into the firing zone of the machine gunners and infantry. Everywhere else there were tanks traps and barbed wire strewn across them so nothing can pass through, be they animal or man. Also there was an ungodly amount of mines in all directions to soften up the enemy’s attack.

This time Erik will not underestimate his enemy.

He wanted to do something himself but he was more or less useless. If he had remained on Earth, instead of coming here, he would have probably found a job in middle management.

Food wasn’t a problem anymore since there were rabbits everywhere and with the spices bought with points they were tasty enough. But that only lasted for a while. Nobody can eat rabbits every day and by the end of the week everyone was already sick of them.

Erik was practicing shooting every day and steadily improving. It seemed that his body strengthening helped with the recoil immensely and allowed him to increase his accuracy.

On the fourteenth day of Erik’s arrival to this world and the beginning of the tutorial the enemy appeared.

This time there was no one-hour warning. But everyone was already up and about since dawn.

The engineers cut down trees and built a small sturdy two-story shack where the headquarters used to be. The second floor was open and on the corners sandbags were placed.

On the second floor Erik was surrounded by his soldiers while gritting his teeth. He was anxious. He didn’t know how many today would die and if he could even survive.

The sniper took up position atop the roof and observed the perimeter.

The mortar team placed distance markers in every direction.

The infantry was inside the trenches waiting for the enemy.

Everyone was alert and ready. Some were impatient, some were calm and some were anxious like Erik but everyone knew that they had to fight today.

[Second wave 0:00:00]

“Everyone get ready the enemy is going to be here shortly!” As soon as his words fell out of his mouth the whole forest came to life.

Sounds of movement were everywhere and it became noisy instantly.

There were grey dots popping out of the bushes in all directions.

Erik could only make out the color but not the enemy’s identity so he shouted to the sniper.

“What are those grey dots? What do they look like?”

“Sir, they seem to be wolves but I haven’t such wolves before. They are a size too large and their eyes are completely red.”

Erik furrowed his brows and sighed.

“Everyone, the enemy this time are demonic wolves. They have obviously gone berserk. Have no mercy and turn them into dog food!”

As Erik found himself surrounded, again, he hoped that it wouldn’t end up like last time.

14. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 6

As Erik's anxiety was hitting the peak the sniper added a devastating mental blow.

“Sir, there appear to be four white wolves. It seems they are commanding the grey wolves.”

Erik’s mind blanked until he finally remembered that wolves come in packs. And every pack has its own leader.

These must be the legendary white wolves. Great, this may be an opportunity for us!

“Soldier, those four wolves have to die today! Snipe them before they can become a threat!”

“After the shot, mortar team! You are up! Fire at will! Blast them to pieces!”

“Everyone else prepare to engage the enemy when they advance to six hundred meters!!!”

Bang!

And snipe he did. The sniper put a bullet between a wolf’s eyes. It was still looking at its potential food while drooling. Then it toppled over.

After that, there was only chaos and howling.

The wolves sprang into action.

The radius of the clearing was around a kilometer and a half. It was well inside mortar range.

There was only a thumping sound one moment.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

And in the next moment pieces of wolves were flying everywhere.

But that did not deter the wolves in the slightest. They were in a murderous frenzy. Their only goal was to tear their enemy into pieces and eat them until there were only bones left.

As the wolves were furiously running towards their prey, the prey itself had other thoughts.

Erik was mentally exhausted but seeing the wolves run head-first into the minefields he sported an almost unnoticeable smirk on his face.

The only wolves that survived were the ones that were advancing directly towards the four gaps in the tank traps.

Everywhere else there was only the horrific sound of exploding wolves painting their surroundings crimson.

The white wolves were watching the battle with almost human-like flashes in their eyes. It indicated that they were superior than their brethren but this was the first time humans didn’t run away in front of their packs.

The four them were promised great rewards but it seems they were tricked. Alas, they couldn’t run away or the person who wanted to reward them would kill them all. The unknown humans they were supposed to kill were a safer bet.

Bang!

The sniper rifle sounded out again among the cacophony of sounds and another white wolf was laid to rest.

When Erik noticed the death of the wolf he almost jumped out of his makeshift chair out of joy.

But that didn’t deter the wolves at all. They were fighting for their lives after all. If they ran away, they would die; if they advanced at least there was chance no matter how miniscule it was.

The wolves jumped over the corpses of their brethren and ran ahead. They advanced in a frenzy like they were competing who would be first.

The wolves had numerical superiority but they had only advanced six hundred meters despite all the sacrifices.

The mortar team had limited usefulness due to the wolves’ speed. The wolves mostly died in the minefields.

While this was going on a white wolf noticed that the wolves who ran directly towards the human’s didn’t immediately explode from the human’s magic. It howled and made its kin aware of this fact.

And it worked. For a while at least.

When the wolves stepped over the stone marking six hundred meters there was a moment where the wind stilled, everyone took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger. The four MG42s roared to life as they reaped their enemy’s lives.

The vanguard of the wolves immediately turned into meat patty riddled with bullets. It seemed as though the volume of gunfire was like a giant hand slapping away at the pitiful animals daring to bare their fangs at humanity.

The buzzsaw-like sound was interspersed with the sound the sound of STG 44s pouring fire at the wolves from the trenches and the second floor of the headquarters.

Ironically the wolves running through the minefields were luckier because nobody at that time was shooting at them since they were exploding on their own.

The corpses were piling up in front the MG bunker and more and more wolves were forced to go around them straight into the minefields.

The remaining two white wolves were numb from head to toe. The humans’ and their magic were too brutal.

As the lucky wolves who somehow survived the minefields closed in on the tank traps they were brutally divided into the unlucky ones who tried passing through and the relatively lucky ones who tried to jump over the barbed wire. But none lived for long.

The ones who tried to go through were sliced and diced into pieces or they entangled themselves and bled out if they hadn’t been shot first.

The ones who tried jumping over revealed their weak underbelly. They were either shot in mid-air or they got caught onto the wire and spilled their guts onto the ground.

There was a pile of corpses in front the machine gunner and now there was pile in front of the tanks traps.

The wolves just kept coming and coming, eventually climbing over their own corpses and finally coming close to the humans to unleash their wind blades.

Yes, they had magic but they were too far away to be a threat. But now they could finally unleash their might.

The first line of trenches was directly blown into air. People were shredded to pieces or cut in two.

Everyone who survived the magical attack tried to retreat through a corridor to the support trench but only a small amount of infantrymen came back successfully.

The wolves came through the trenches but they met stiff resistance. Infantrymen threw their grenades to flush them out but sometimes they would be hit by the wind blades and explode mid-air injuring everyone.

Erik soon had to call for a retreat to the reserve trench. Everyone who was still alive retreated there because that was the last line of defense. They had no more terrain to give up.

The white wolves turned into a single white wolf. During the mayhem the sniper sounded out again and went unnoticed.

The white wolf was the only one with passable intelligence who could recognize the situation at hand.

The humans were cornered but they weren’t defeated. This was the final moment. Here they will make history. Whether they win or lose.

Coincidentally our champion was having the same thoughts.

He eyed the wolves throwing themselves at his soldiers and hatefully gritted his teeth because he was completely useless here.

His shooting was barely passable; he had no engineering degree or anything that would help him reduce the casualties.

Being a general was much harder than being a soldier.

Finally, the last white wolf was felled by the invisible grim reaper.

In that moment the wolves lost the redness in their eyes and momentarily faltered.

It seemed that they were somehow influenced by the white wolves.

And that moment was enough to turn the tide of the battle.

Erik seized the moment and spurred his army to new heights.

“Kill!!!Kill!!!Kill!!!”

The wolves were swept away by the firepower like leaves in the wind.

The humans have won but it was a Pyrrhic victory.

The aftermath of the battle was marked by the stench of blood and gunpowder.

Erik was exhausted from the tension but also the thrill of the battle and fell asleep in his chair.

He dreamt of world peace and delicious food.

15. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    Ares Interlude 2

Erik wasn't the only paying attention to the battle. There were also the gods. They were furiously furrowing their brows while alternating between astonishment and confusion.

„Individually he is useless but when there are many of them their magic becomes fearsome. “(Random god #5)

“Yes, indeed it seems so. Their magic is quite formidable for humans.” (Random god #6)

“LEGENDARY!!!”

While they were whispering among themselves Ares had a smug expression on his face while shouting.

“Hahaha, isn’t he interesting? This is a first for me to witness such a weakling survive the demon wolves.”

“Many of my valiant and strong potential champions were eaten alive while he survived the onslaught.”

“Doesn’t that make you interested in what he will accomplish in the future.”

“I’m expecting some good wars in the future.”

“Hey, Ares don’t get cocky now, isn’t still there the final test? How come you are so sure he will survive.” (Random god #7)

“Hahaha, what you don’t trust my judgment? You may be the strongest among your peers but even amongst gods I can say that my champion is unrivaled. There are no better generals than him. He even defeated me at war. And I’m the god of war!”

“What, is that true?” (Random god #8)

“Oh, my it seems that that unremarkable human possesses the talent for war.” (Random god #9)

“How many will he kill?” (Random god #10)

“Well, just watch and see. He has plenty of points and options now. From here on out he will go on the offensive.”

Erik was fast asleep but from time to time he shivered as if he was a rat in a cage and he couldn’t escape.

16. Jhin

Jhin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was good and the tsukkomi are nice it made me smile. If you have a pdf or epub for this that would be great. Thank you for the story.

17. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    This only exists here, on RRL and on my Desktop in docx format ( I write this in MS Word)

18. Jhin

Jhin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep up the good work if you are going to have an updates for this kindly count me in.

LoneWanderer23 likes this.
  19. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    sure, no problem, I will basically update every day for a couple of months

20. Tokin

Tokin I despite ISSTH. [( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)]

Reading List:
    Link
    ironically I just read this in the morning today... its kinda what I expected(and wanted) from all the previous ones that I've read, god that fucking yandere harem and incompetent mc. GATE without excessive moe bullshit is actually pretty good, especially the politics.
    Any way my first impression is that I enjoyed it, wish you'd do those author comments at the end of every chapter, people do read those you know.

I hope you actually give the world politics some deep thought (that isnt demon king wants all dead and a bunch of nooby kids off to the wizard-).
    And for the love of god, please the first girl he meets shouldnt immediately be hearts and stuffs.
    Try to make races a bit unique? I'm not asking for steampunk elves

Also y no calliope or katyusha or flamethrower tanks or.
    torpedo planes? (not exactly deadly, because bombers and submarines, or required assuming medieval wooden ships)