Is MTL based translator can be called a translator

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by alamptr, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    A good mtl translator would never feel like mtl if he/she know the tricks. I mtl myself for few novels and I believe I haven't lost anything just because I am reading mtl instead of htl. It depends on your Dao of MTLing.

kenar, AliceShiki, Action and 3 others like this.
  2. jihadjoe

jihadjoe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Machines are tools.

If a mechanic can't fix your car unless he has a specialized diagnostic tool (and this is true for nearly every modern car now) does that disqualify him from being a mechanic?

kenar, AliceShiki and Action like this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't translate sentences only by using dictionary. Because you will get a bunch of incomprehensible bullshit as a result. Yes, you can translate separate words with a dictionary. But that doesn't make you a translator cause you don't know how to translate sentences conveying the meaning and all grammar stuff.

Action likes this.
  4. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't know the original language you aren't translator. You are editor and the software you use is a translator. You can't translate anything on your own so you can't be 100% sure of the translation from the machine. And MTL do screw up often on stuff that require context or conveys subtle meaning which is lost by translating word to word.

If you don't know both languages, It's almost the same as taking dictionary and trying to translate complex sentences. You will be able to translate the words, but you won't be able to translate the sentence correctly cause you don't understand implications made by context\grammar. Can you say that such a person is a translator?

And even according to the oxford dictionary, it says A PERSON who translates, which implies that a person needs to know both languages to translate. So whoever told you that people who use only MTL without actual knowledge of the language are nothing more than editors was correct

Action likes this.
  5. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I wouldn't give mtl the benefit of being called a translation. For translation is an art, not a science that can be completed with algorithms alone.

For that reason, I will just call such things as processed words, and the workers processors, for while they are quick and easy, they normally don't taste as good as fresh organic stuff.

Trust the process

kenar, Action and kaisersose like this.
  6. YWL

YWL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A machine translator is not a translator. A machine assisted translator is a translator.

TheDefend likes this.
  7. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if they actually know the language and use machine translator just for help or produce understandable and clean translation then they are called translators, other than that [depending on machine translator 90%~100%] nope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.